BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Received a BMW M4 ZCP to experience a bit of M2 Competition future...

10-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Received a BMW M4 ZCP to experience a bit of M2 Competition future...

Today I picked up a San Marino blue M4 ZCP fully loaded with goodies and parts of which some we will see on the upcoming M2 Competition.

First experience, I am not convinced yet I would take it over my M2, but I do love it especially in this particular specification and because of the unique extras that we have to miss on our cars.

Seats: Massive improvement over ours. I truly love them, I only miss the lumbar support on the seats, and I do not really need the electric controls of the seats. Mainly because stepping into the rear is a hell. Take ages to get the seat forward. Oh and those belts are such a lovely touch.

Engine: Responsive and definitely different in character than the N55 engine in our M2s, that is nothing new. Just feels a lot less playful, it is so much more musculair. Due to the exhaust a much better character than the standard M4, which sounds like nothing.

Overall not a bad package, just not as enjoyable as the M2, but maybe that is because it is all about the body it is built in. I feel it would be a wonderful fit once the Competition arrives. Only needs a sport down pipe with this exhaust and sorted.

Traction: Better but still horrendous, the car has so much issues putting the power down. The M2 is so much more enjoyable and fun to drive. I miss that character so much in the M4. It feels so muscle car-like.

Suspension: I had hoped the adjustable suspension would offer a much wider range of options in comfort level, but it doesn't. Comfort it still too hard, and I feel it is mainly because I am riding a ZCP on 20 inch wheels.

It is hard all around, and that is also felt because it is Prague where I drive. I must say that if you go to Sport Plus and you have some decent twisty roads the suspension excels over the stock M2 set up.

Overall after my first day... I absolutely adore the specification, although it does not have the head-up display. The San Marino Blue with this light interior is simply stunning. The absence of Individual is painful for me as a M2 driver, who likes individuality in his car.

If only I could convert the spec, seats, wheels, interior to a M2... Oh wait, most of it we can and it is gonna be called the M2 Competition. Just the color, we can't yet...

Now the question drops by... Is this a good replacement to kill 6 months of waiting time until the M2 Competition arrives?

MR
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 10-21-2017 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 5
Tag17914.50
///M²281.00
Robin_NL8679.50
JustChris17423.00
dtmurf477.00
      10-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Nice write up! More pics of the M4 when you get a chance please, especially the interior. I like how you managed to score two parking spots adjacent to each other and boxed off from everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Love SMB. I test both the M4 ZCP and the M2 on a track.
They both are very capable cars but I still prefer the M2.
      10-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I'd still take the MINI
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
After six days with the M4 ZCP, I wrote my story on DriveTribe...

You can read it here:

BMW M4 COMPETITION PACK - A LOOK INTO THE FUTURE OF ITS LITTLE SIBLING!

MR
Appreciate 1
M2guru374.50
      10-29-2017, 01:09 AM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
After six days with the M4 ZCP, I wrote my story on DriveTribe...

You can read it here:

BMW M4 COMPETITION PACK - A LOOK INTO THE FUTURE OF ITS LITTLE SIBLING!

MR

"the M2 as its always should have been"

Or another way to say it, "lol, get fukt M2 owners!"

Or another way to say it "Now they will know why the M2 lease residual was so low..."
Appreciate 1
AngryBaby344.50
      10-29-2017, 02:17 AM   #7
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
"the M2 as its always should have been"

Or another way to say it, "lol, get fukt M2 owners!"

Or another way to say it "Now they will know why the M2 lease residual was so low..."
Why? It is a new model, current M2 is no longer produced when Competition lands. BMW is these days all about making money. Be happy they even made a M2 in the first place.

The Germans totally underestimated the sheer success of it, so I am happy they made it and since we all bought one the new one has become a feasible business case.

Yes, they should have made it like the Competition in the first place, but believe me with the uncertainty of it being a major success they took the safe route and I am happy they did.

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Why? It is a new model, current M2 is no longer produced when Competition lands. BMW is these days all about making money. Be happy they even made a M2 in the first place.

The Germans totally underestimated the sheer success of it, so I am happy they made it and since we all bought one the new one has become a feasible business case.

Yes, they should have made it like the Competition in the first place, but believe me with the uncertainty of it being a major success they took the safe route and I am happy they did.

MR
Based on the residual value for a lease it seems they knew when they released the original that they would be making a Competition in the near future. I mean I guess if no one bought the original M2, then they wouldn't make the Competition, but I was always told if you're going to do something, do it right the first time.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Based on the residual value for a lease it seems they knew when they released the original that they would be making a Competition in the near future. I mean I guess if no one bought the original M2, then they wouldn't make the Competition, but I was always told if you're going to do something, do it right the first time.
That is not how business works 😉

If that would work like that, the Telecom market would not work either. Phones are an example of how you milk features across multiple products. 😉

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #10
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Thanks for the write-up. Honestly, though, it seems that there is a kind of dissonance here. The criticisms are clear and I'm sure valid in your experience, but they aren't consistent, in my mind, with "absolute love."
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Thing is, M4 power can only be exploited on track

And for M4 money, at least in Europe, you can get much better track oriented cars

I've driven the M4 extensively and if anything it does feel more like an M car than the M2. However, it's not that much fun.

My biggest gripe with the M2 which I fear I will never get over is how the interior is 80% the same as any other 1 or 2 series. You can buy a used 118d for peanuts and share the same interior as an M car. M4 interiors are on an other level. Head-up Display, real leather, adaptive suspensions. And if you consider that realistically neither M2 or M4 power can be exploited to its potential on public roads, luxury & tech actually do hold a high value. This is where the M4 wins.

Imo, BMW should have just made the M2 a limited edition like the 1M. Why? Because the M2 is not a real M-car. It's a factory tuned 2-series. It's still special and beautiful and fun but it simply doesn't compete with other M cars. The fact that it is branded as an M car is actually the biggest problem because it raises expectations. No one would have complaints about it if it was a 2M or a limited edition m235i.

Last edited by Dav3; 10-29-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

Yesterday I test drove a 991.2 pdk and m2 m4 manuals. Unfortunately this didn't have a comp for test drives.
M2
felt light agile and responsive but the n55 runs out of breath and just doesn't have the thrust to excite me like my 997 turbo did.
M4
-huge power difference defiantly feels like it has potential for upgrade. didn't feel as confident around corners. I can imagine how this would translate into issues on the track. even in sport plus it rode smooth making me think the comp would be livable. 6 speed is smooth and shifts well miss the rev matching although .
out of my price range even used but they didn't have a .1 to drive. Feels agile and quick dollar to m2 but with better steering feel and 100hp more and 400lbs less. Pdk launch control wasviolent and satisfying. Hard to find a used low mile .1 in my 80-95k CaD price

Going to put down a deposit first m2 competition allocation they get. Is it January yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopm2 View Post
Thing is, M4 power can only be exploited on track

And for M4 money, at least in Europe, you can get much better track oriented cars

I've driven the M4 extensively and if anything it does feel more like an M car than the M2. However, it's not that much fun.

My biggest gripe with the M2 which I fear I will never get over is how the interior is 80% the same as any other 1 or 2 series. You can buy a used 118d for peanuts and share the same interior as an M car. M4 interiors are on an other level. Head-up Display, real leather, adaptive suspensions. And if you consider that realistically neither M2 or M4 power can be exploited to its potential on public roads, luxury & tech actually do hold a high value. This is where the M4 wins.

Imo, BMW should have just made the M2 a limited edition like the 1M. Why? Because the M2 is not a real M-car. It's a factory tuned 2-series. It's still special and beautiful and fun but it simply doesn't compete with other M cars. The fact that it is branded as an M car is actually the biggest problem because it raises expectations. No one would have complaints about it if it was a 2M or a limited edition m235i.
It's is the sum of the parts that makes it what it is.

The M2 is rated as the best BMW made in over 10 years by some of the most respected journalists on the planet.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #14
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Maybe only the M3 and M4 survive in your subjective "real M car" eco-system approach. For some, even only the E30 M3 is worthy getting the ///M badge.

As someone said: "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Otherwise said, each individual should be allowed to pursue his/her strengths. In addition, a weakness in some area should not induce feelings of debilitating inferiority.

Check the value you got for the money paid, what purpose you mainly use your car for (daily driver? track? mountains? mix?) and how much fun it provides when you do those things.

On my latest trip in the mountains a friend joined me with his 2017 F80 M3. We used to have a blast together in the past with our 1M cars high up there. Well, this time behind the wheel of his M3 he was struggling to keep up with my M2 and another 1M. Straights: effortless M3 power display. Sequence of turns/curves: the M3 fell short, time and time again - "not as nimble/agile". But, yes, on a race track the M3/M4 will normally clock better laptimes than the M2.

The fact that you consider the M badge "the biggest problem" for the M2 as it it "raises expectations". Well, the M2 did more than living up to its expectations - it exceeded those. And the forthcoming 'M2 Competition' will raise the bar again with another notch.

The M2 got plenty of accolades in the car press. Jeremy Clarkson commented as follows when he test drove an M2 (with manual transmission) in 'The Grand Tour':
"I think this is the best M car BMW has ever made. | This car happily has an old back-to-basics approach. | Klaus and Fritz, I am loving your work. | This isn't as fast in a straight line as an M3, but everywhere else it is better. It feels less heavy, less cumbersome, and due to the unique characteristics of our straight, I can tell the steering is less twitchy. | This thing is an absolute masterpiece. I can say it is the best M car BMW has ever made. It's mad to suggest the cheapest M car is the best. But look at it this way: this track is a lot cheaper than Silverstone, and I know which one I'd rather drive around. | It's a fabulous car, it's a brilliant car, it really honestly is."
See also his written M2 review: here.

And what did Chris Harris think of the M2 ? See his Top Gear review here. For his conclusion: 06:00-06:45.

Clocked already 30K kms with mine (including lots of fun in the mountains) and can say that it's a wicked car.

Name:  SellaTour_2016.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  409.2 KB
      10-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #15
Dav3
Major
Rep

Artemis

It's still a great car but I firmly believe that BMW could have made it a little better for what it costs in Europe.

For NA price-point, there's little you can complain.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #16
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Artemis

It's still a great car but I firmly believe that BMW could have made it a little better for what it costs in Europe.

For NA price-point, there's little you can complain.
Depends on where in Europe 😉

Taxes are making it expensive in Europe, not the base netto price.

MR
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #17
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I've driven a normal M4DCT for 3 days prior to having my M2 delivered.

-Beautiful car
-Pointing in for such a big car is impressive
-so is power/Nm >6000rpm (vs M2)

But imho it's also:
-Way too big/long/wide, not agile enough
-'too powerful' M4 is overkill and/or rear end can't cope with sudden power even on dry B roads.
-a car with a not so exciting enginesound(understatement)
-way less agile and playable than M2(B roads, trackdays, driftdays, roundabouts, flyovers)

S55 would be great in oncoming M2CS, but N55 can be tweaked as well with a bigger turbo off course and that would be the better option pennywise I guess.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #18
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Depends on where in Europe 😉

Taxes are making it expensive in Europe, not the base netto price.

MR
Yes agreed

But typically European cars get sold for less on the North American Market

This plus taxes makes any sports car expensive

And each European country has their own way of scewing you over

e.g.

With an average base price of 65,000€ for most EU countries, the Netherlands pays 87,000€ base price

But then you also have Italy where they tax you 15 euro for every HP over 250. So for the M2 that's 120x15=1800€ additional tax over the taxes you already pay for

All of this without even taking into consideration the price of petrol. In the US you can get your standard unleaded 95 for 0.87$ per litre. In Europe the cheapest you can find is in Latvia at 1.27$ per litre. Add a full tank each week and make the calculation for a year and the overall cost is very steep.

What I'm trying to say is that for NA price-point the M2 is actually quite affordable to buy and maintain. In Europe on the other hand it is quite expensive and because of this I feel like nitpicking about what the car is missing is to a large extent justified
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 03:59 AM   #19
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I remember it revved very highly for a street turbo engine.

No doubt I did this in Germany.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #20
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
It's is the sum of the parts that makes it what it is.

The M2 is rated as the best BMW made in over 10 years by some of the most respected journalists on the planet.
The same for the 1M before.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #21
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Check the value you got for the money paid, what purpose you mainly use your car for (daily driver? track? mountains? mix?) and how much fun it provides when you do those things.

On my latest trip in the mountains a friend joined me with his 2017 F80 M3. We used to have a blast together in the past with our 1M cars high up there. Well, this time behind the wheel of his M3 he was struggling to keep up with my M2 and another 1M. Straights: effortless M3 power display. Sequence of turns/curves: the M3 fell short, time and time again - "not as nimble/agile". But, yes, on a race track the M3/M4 will normally clock better laptimes than the M2.

Attachment 1713414
Not necessarily. Start watching at the 4min 5sec mark:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/video...e-m4-on-track/

Or just jump to the 6:05 mark to see the results,

Or Ill just post them here around one lap at Willow Springs:

M2- 1:22:73
M4- 1:22:94