THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing sway bar options

10-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

sway bar options

Im looking to upgrade the sway bars on my m235xi. I do alot of track days, and would like to improve the car more.

There are sooo many options. Dinan, H&R, EIBACH, Meghan Racing, etc All are different front and rear diameters.

How to choose ?? Limited by xDrive, only a few companies that do xdrive.

H&R 72878-3 (28mm/20mm front 2 holes, rear none)
Dinan D120-0595 (25mm/19mm front 3 holes, rear none)

Stock bar on the m235 is 23.5mm front, and 12mm rear.

-Paul

Last edited by zipphreak; 10-12-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Do those companies list how much stiffer/softer their settings are compared to factory? There's no defined answer as far as settings are concerned, though, so you'll have to do some testing to see what works best.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
The labor to install them is pretty high since you have to drop the sub-frames. ROI is not worth it in my opinion.

~6 hour job.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

^ That, I didn't know. Is it like that for both front and rear? That's terrible that they buried the sway bars like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

It has been a looong time since I was shopping these parts separately, but IIRC, the key metric for sway bars is rotational force (inch/pounds, I think, or pounds/degree). If they all have the same dimensions/shape, then diameter is a proxy for this, but only a rough estimate.

There are 2 main camps about sway bars - one is that they are the key element for handling (need to be stiff), the other is that they are just to fine tune front/rear balance or transitional behavior (often just one, and smaller). My experience is that it isn't as different as they would suggest - theoretically big bars give better compliance, but only when you hit something with both wheels evenly, like an expansion joint. Since these are so hard to get at, I've decided to adopt position 2, and any future upgrades will look at springs/shocks first (camber plates, race tires obviously part of this, and not until I'm ready to ditch the warranty).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

i looked at upgrading struts and options are severely limited for xdrive, basically kwv3 for 2200 or mcs 2way remote reservoirs for 4500.

My buddy is a great mechanic and can do the sways with me, so labor will be minimal.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Doing mine along with KW CS coilovers and full bushing replacement in the new year.

Went with Hotchkis F&R Sway bars and their uprated end links. Didn’t dig too much into other options, but liked that I could get them through my work, so saved a few dollars there as well. Have access to a 7 bay full service shop so I’ll be doing it myself over a couple of weekends..
      10-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Nice! Setup a post when you do the install. It would cool to see pictures of it in the process! I know it's a tedious task.

What are you doing for bushings. Rear subframe ? Are you going full solid aluminum or urethane, or just inserts ?

xdrive m235s have way more limited track coilover options, no KW CS for us.. just KW v3. Bilstein Clubsports are an option (48-238946) or MCS 2W's. I'm totally eyeing a set of those MCS 2-ways for next year The reservoirs on their standard 2WNR's extend past the length of the normal strut, and into where the front-half shafts go into the wheels so I'm forced into remote reservoirs.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Nice! Setup a post when you do the install. It would cool to see pictures of it in the process! I know it's a tedious task.

What are you doing for bushings. Rear subframe ? Are you going full solid aluminum or urethane, or just inserts ?

xdrive m235s have way more limited track coilover options, no KW CS for us.. just KW v3. Bilstein Clubsports are an option (48-238946) or MCS 2W's. I'm totally eyeing a set of those MCS 2-ways for next year The reservoirs on their standard 2WNR's extend past the length of the normal strut, and into where the front-half shafts go into the wheels so I'm forced into remote reservoirs.
I intend on doing a build journal, for sure. I really like Bilstein and Ohlins, personally, this will be my first KW setup. But from what I've researched, the adjust-ability, built in camber plates (that don't rattle). That and I just couldn't walk away from the price I paid, mainly due to the fact that they only fir RWD 3-bolt (pre '16) cars. My gain!

Last edited by Dylan86; 10-26-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I intend on doing a build journal, for sure. I really like Bilstein and Ohlins, personally, this will be my first KW setup. But from what I've researched, the adjust-ability, built in camber plates (that don't rattle) and I just couldn't walk away from the price I paid, mainly due to the fact that they only fir RWD 3-bolt (pre '16) cars. My gain!
Looking forward to the progress thread. Depending on how extensive the process is, I may contemplate doing the same (or at least wishful thinking, since this is my daily, lol).

I currently have KWs on my "track car" and want Ohlins next, personally. Well, that's because I can't afford the more expensive options.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #11
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Looking forward to the progress thread. Depending on how extensive the process is, I may contemplate doing the same (or at least wishful thinking, since this is my daily, lol).

I currently have KWs on my "track car" and want Ohlins next, personally. Well, that's because I can't afford the more expensive options.
I think it's great that Ohlins has put together a premium track duty coilover, at a reasonable price. I was dead set on them until the deal came by on the KW's. I think you could do most of the mods on a DD, minus the rear diff bushings and be just fine. Some people have lower tolerance levels, though. I've been in an E90 with the same level of track mods, and it was pretty composed on the street, BMW's are great for that, the newer models anyway.
      10-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I think it's great that Ohlins has put together a premium track duty coilover, at a reasonable price. I was dead set on them until the deal came by on the KW's. I think you could do most of the mods on a DD, minus the rear diff bushings and be just fine. Some people have lower tolerance levels, though. I've been in an E90 with the same level of track mods, and it was pretty composed on the street, BMW's are great for that, the newer models anyway.
What you've got planned for your 2er has already been done to my track car plus a few more things. Not that it's unstreetable or anything, but I prefer not to daily that or drive around a whole lot, especially if I have a more comfortable car to putt around in (M235i). That's all haha.

If I come across a set of Ohlins for the 2er for a reasonable price, however, I'm probably going to jump on it without much thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
What you've got planned for your 2er has already been done to my track car plus a few more things. Not that it's unstreetable or anything, but I prefer not to daily that or drive around a whole lot, especially if I have a more comfortable car to putt around in (M235i). That's all haha.

If I come across a set of Ohlins for the 2er for a reasonable price, however, I'm probably going to jump on it without much thought.
Yea, I got a pickup with low mileage so I'm gonna whore that out a bit for the next few years and keep the car for weekend fun. I'm really liking the new X1's, the M Sport 35i's are going to come off lease, in a couple of years, I think that may be my next DD seeing as though I plan on starting a family in the next handful of years..

The Ohlins R&T priced in around $2500 iirc, if not less. Great deal, imo.