BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Some products I bought today, Yay or Nay?

Hey guys, well after debating if I should give my car in the hands of some random guys at the local hand wash car wash or do the job myself, I decided to go with the latter. I was thinking about bringing it to the detailer but my car is so new that I dont think it needs that kind of treatment as of yet.

Here are some products I picked up from my local Pep Boys today, do you guys think they will suffice in my washing/mini-detailing needs?

2x Sheepskin Wash Mitt (I got a extra one for the other cars at home)

Mothers Clay Bar package, comes with:
-80 G Clay bar
-4 oz Carnauba Cleaner Wax
-16 oz Showtime Instant Detailer

Meguirar's Gold Class Rich leather Cleaner/Conditioner

What do you guys think about these products? The reason i got the claybar is for some bird poop stains (if that doesnt work ill try the bottle of Meguiars Scratch X I have).

Also anyone have any experiance with Carnauba Cleaner wax? What is the difference between cleaner wax and regular wax? I remember seeing mothers 3 step wax/polish products, are those any better?

Some other misceallenous items i also got was applicator pads, MF wheel/rim cleaner.
      05-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Those are great products but I would go with Zaino. Zaino on the other hand can be time consuming but it will give a great look.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Nice,

the claybar is pretty small, i though it be alot bigger...here is a picture for comparo.

Think this is enough to do the whole car??

05-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I've used that claybar before and it works fine. I just saw this clayblock product and I wonder if it's any good: http://www.chemicalguys.com/CLAY_BLO..._block_kit.htm
      05-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
[QUOTE=FifthStreetz;2668344]Nice,

the claybar is pretty small, i though it be alot bigger...here is a picture for comparo.

Think this is enough to do the whole car??
[QUOTE=FifthStreetz;2668344]

That will def. take care of the whole car for you. Just make sure you lube up on the paint. If you need help with clay barring shoot me a PM and i can tell you things to watch out for and what not to do.

Hmm as for the leather cleaner I would recommend chemical guys Ph cleaner or Pinnacle leather and vinyl cleaner. These both clean great. And as for a conditioner Chemical Guys Leather conditioner. These all leave a matte finish which is what i think you want. If i remember the meguiars leaves a shine to it?

Other than that congrats on ur purchases and have fun detailing!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I've used mother's clay bar before with great results. The bar will be enough to clay the whole car. Make sure you do it in a shade so the lubricant doesn't dry so fast from the sun. Also make sure you fold and kneed the clay as soon as it gets dirty. BTW becareful with the clay if you drop it, it's useless because it'll pick up lots of nice sized particles from the floor that will scratch your paint.

Also like KKSigua, I totally love zaino products. They also have a new wax, think it's called Z-cs basically it's a clear bottle you just spray and apply with a cotton pad and let dry. check them out at www.zainobros.com

I've used meguiars wax in the past, they barely last more than a week.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I've always liked the Mothers' products, but I'd use step 2 (sealer/glaze) and 3 (pure carnauba wax) of the 3 step process. They won't dust as much as the cleaner wax, and you shouldn't need the cleaner wax if you're going to clay bar. I think you'll like the results better on the dark car, especially. I use old 100% cotton t shirts to remove the glaze and wax. My orient blue e46 still looks almost brand new after almost 9 years, and below is a picture of my IB e90 right after using Mothers 2 and 3. (This was taken about a half hour after waxing, and the pollen was already accumulating last weekend.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Thanks for the tips guys! I returned the leather condition and my friend had left over NXT 2.0 that hes going to use on my car. I also picked up Mothers mag and aluminum polish for the exhaust tips.
      05-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

5th its safe to get a full detail when the car is new so the detailer adds a extra layer of wax to the clear coat and then when it rains the water just beads right off, like I had told you the other day when we met, wash it even its going to rain so the dirt is washed off especially now during pollen season, I'm scheduled in for next week to get the full exterior treatment (summerize), then after that I'll just maintain it with washes and wet waxes @ home and the occational hand wash by my detailer.

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0