F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Upgrading UK base stereo with active subwoofer question?
Studio RSR

08-29-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2013

Upgrading UK base stereo with active subwoofer question?

Hi I am looking to do a simple upgrade on my UK base stereo (4 door speakers + 2 underseat). After listening to some music on a friend’s F30 Harman Kardon system. I realised just how much lacking and underwhelming the bass is on my UK base stereo.

As a simple and fast upgrade I was thinking of adding an active subwoofer to my system. Cost is a big factor for me so I do not have the luxury to buy top end Amps, drivers and custom enclosures. I have considered two options:
  1. Adding an active subwoofer to the trunk. Either a £90 Edge EDB10 (10inch, 750watt peak, 250watt, inbuilt amp, dim: 36.5cm x 30cm x 40cm with wiring included) or a £140 Juice A12 (12inch, 1200watt peak, inbuilt amp, dim 51cm x 51 x 40cm without wiring).

2. Adding a compact underseat active subwoofer that will slide underneath passenger sit. A £ 100 Kenwood KSC W11 (150watt peak, mounting depth 7cm).

With option 1 I will lose a bit of trunk space but to be honest I barely use the space. My worry is that maybe the car cabin is too insulated from the boot. Will I get good/clean bass from the trunk without having to max out the sub? I am not looking to wake the neighbours or attract attention.

Option 2 seems more convenient and discreate but the power rating of 150 watt seems to be a bit low. Will these just sound the same as the woofers that are already under the seat? Will the compact underseat subwoofer interfere with the woofer that is already installed under the seat?

Last question. If possible I would like to avoid removing the headunit. I’m I correct in saying that I can tap/connect the active subwoofer to the woofers underneath the seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The low frequencies from a trunk sub will easily pass through the seats. There's no point in adding something else under the front seats. Low frequency extension and output has nothing to do with watts, everything to do with the size of the driver and enclosure. Adding another tiny under seat box won't accomplish anything. The main issue with adding a trunk sub is getting signal to it. You have to be sure that whatever you get has a wiring harness compatible with your system.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      09-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

A Technic PnP harness is best:

https://technicpnp.com

Removal of the HU iDrive is required. I don't see the issue with this. It's the only way to upgrade the base system.

It depends on what your system goals are. If you want low lows then a trunk sub it is. If you want low and not in it's masses then upgraded underseat woofers such as the Bavsound, Gladen, Focal, MB... all become options.
Appreciate 0