F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Connected Drive Expiration
Studio RSR

08-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Connected Drive Expiration

I received my letter confirming expiration of Connected Drive services as of July 31st. The app on my phone does not locate my car, and doesn't even try (it's not like it just times out). It shows my car sitting at my office, where it was when the services expired.

But--I can still send an address to my nav by Google Maps and by the app. And the car's online apps seem to still work (I tested weather).

So what exactly expires after 3 years? Or has it just not caught up to me?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Well, I totally forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder! Just hit 3 years this weekend. Went and logged on to the portal (https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com/c...selection.html) and discovered...

...it's expired.

These 3 are now expired:
- Concierge Service
- Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
- ConnectedDrive Services

They want
- $100 for Concierge for 1 year. Nope, never used it.
- $50 for ARTTI for 1 year. Um, not sure. Google maps shows traffic.
- $50 for ConnectedDrive for 1 year. Not critical, but I do ventilate my care remotely often. Hmmm. Also use Pandora and Spotify apps sometimes.

These 3 are still active (until 2024 for me):
- BMW Assist eCall
- BMW TeleService
- Remote Services

Here's what the site says for ConnectedDrive:
"With ConnectedDrive Services you meet the requirements that allow you to book many other BMW services.
The advantages for you include:
- Convenient management and extension of your ConnectedDrive Services via the ConnectedDrive Store.
- Up-to-the minute, location-based information via BMW Online
- Convenient and secure use of selected smartphone apps"

Here's what it says for remote services (hasn't expired, good for 10 years):
"Remote Services include Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Door Lock and Unlock, the MyInfo feature for sending destinations from Google Maps to your vehicle, and the ability to access the My BMW Remote app on an iOS or Android device.
With these feature you have following benefits:
- BMW Assist™ can help police locate your vehicle if it is ever stolen
- You can now lock and unlock the vehicle with the My BMW Remote App or the BMW Call Center
- With the MyInfo feature you can easily send destinations that you find on Google Maps to your vehicle. Searching and finding a destination was never as easy as this

Not sure how these 2 are related. I'm gonna wait and see what happens, I guess.. Worst case, I'll pay the $50 for ConnectedDrive.

Edit: more info here https://www.bmw.com/en/topics/offers...tructions.html
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      08-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Sending the google maps directly to the car is super handy. I'm not sure I'll renew any of this after three years.
      08-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I received my letter confirming expiration of Connected Drive services as of July 31st. The app on my phone does not locate my car, and doesn't even try (it's not like it just times out). It shows my car sitting at my office, where it was when the services expired.

But--I can still send an address to my nav by Google Maps and by the app. And the car's online apps seem to still work (I tested weather).

So what exactly expires after 3 years? Or has it just not caught up to me?
This was a '14 model year issue. Beginning in '15, the term for all services was changed to 4 yrs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Saw today the I no longer have my weather and time widget. Always had that on the right side of the display.

However, I can still send the ventilate command and flash the lights remotely.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
SteelCT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive; 2020 X3

I just picked up a 2014 328i with the Nav and am trying to figure out the connected drive system. I downloaded the app and am able to remotely make the horn and lights activate. I haven't tried locking it, or remotely activating the A/C though.
In the system though, I cant seem to access any of the connected drive apps. Is this because whatever subscription they had has expired? I registered on the BMW connected website, but didn't see anything about renewing. Could someone point me to the right place?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
SteelCT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive; 2020 X3

Nevermind - NOOB mistake. I just logged in again and see the subscription services. I see the same prices that otay posted above. Can anyone outline whether the connected apps are worthwhile? Is there a list of the apps somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial March View Post
Nevermind - NOOB mistake. I just logged in again and see the subscription services. I see the same prices that otay posted above. Can anyone outline whether the connected apps are worthwhile? Is there a list of the apps somewhere?
Don't know if there's a list of apps, but the two that I was using (that are now non-functional) were Pandora & Spotify. These only work if the phone is plugged in with USB, and you have the phone apps running. Since it's the phone that's doing the streaming, it's kinda nuts that BMW makes you pay to use the app. The benefit of the app is that you can use the iDrive controller and screen to make changes to what you're listening to with slightly less distraction than looking at your phone. But I just usually start up a playlist before I drive, and just let it progress on its own. SO...long story short, not much value to these 2 apps anyway.

I do miss the weather & time widget I had on the right side of the split screen. I'll probably pay the $50.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial March View Post
Don't know if there's a list of apps, but the two that I was using (that are now non-functional) were Pandora & Spotify. These only work if the phone is plugged in with USB, and you have the phone apps running. Since it's the phone that's doing the streaming, it's kinda nuts that BMW makes you pay to use the app. The benefit of the app is that you can use the iDrive controller and screen to make changes to what you're listening to with slightly less distraction than looking at your phone. But I just usually start up a playlist before I drive, and just let it progress on its own. SO...long story short, not much value to these 2 apps anyway.

I do miss the weather & time widget I had on the right side of the split screen. I'll probably pay the $50.
You get real time traffic for 3 years right? What about Sirius radio, how long does that last?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #10
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Don't kill me if I'm mistaking but I think u can still use the app for Spotify after ur subscription runs out.
Appreciate 0