F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Audio advice needed!
GetBMWParts

07-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Swiftmike
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 328i

Audio advice needed!

Hey all I just got a used 2014 f30 with just the standard sound package and no technology package. Now I honestly have next to no knowledge when it comes too Audio systems and upgrades and don't even know where to start.

Now preferably I'd like to get the best upgrades I can for under $500, I do listen to a lot of EDM and bass if that makes a difference and primarily stream music from spotify, which leads to my next question....

Since I don't have the tech package and don't have bluetooth streaming or nav, whats my best option to change that? I've looked at and am interested in that new SDS Android touchscreen coming out, but have also looked at options like just getting the enhanced bluetooth and usb activation from bimmertech.

Thanks for anybody's time and help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftmike View Post
Hey all I just got a used 2014 f30 with just the standard sound package and no technology package. Now I honestly have next to no knowledge when it comes too Audio systems and upgrades and don't even know where to start.

Now preferably I'd like to get the best upgrades I can for under $500, I do listen to a lot of EDM and bass if that makes a difference and primarily stream music from spotify, which leads to my next question....

Since I don't have the tech package and don't have bluetooth streaming or nav, whats my best option to change that? I've looked at and am interested in that new SDS Android touchscreen coming out, but have also looked at options like just getting the enhanced bluetooth and usb activation from bimmertech.

Thanks for anybody's time and help in advance!
For under $500.

New mats and a detail?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #3
luckyyyyyyy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328iX 2013

You should atleast start by an amp which would cost about twice the budget you suggested
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
Whistlefist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

With a 2014, you should be able to code for Enhanced BT/USB. It is controlled through your phone for most things, but I know I can skip songs at least on Pandora. Haven't tried spotify, but I'm sure its similar. The title/track info comes through, but no album art. Its a 25 dollar cable and you can PM Shawn Sheridan for the software.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=7

It is not difficult to do, and you can use the software to code other things you may want like turning the amber side markers off, comfort access windows close with key fob, TPMS Temp/Pressure display on Idrive and so on.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlefist View Post
With a 2014, you should be able to code for Enhanced BT/USB. It is controlled through your phone for most things, but I know I can skip songs at least on Pandora. Haven't tried spotify, but I'm sure its similar. The title/track info comes through, but no album art. Its a 25 dollar cable and you can PM Shawn Sheridan for the software.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=7

It is not difficult to do, and you can use the software to code other things you may want like turning the amber side markers off, comfort access windows close with key fob, TPMS Temp/Pressure display on Idrive and so on.
You could probably enable it using BimmerCode app as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Since you have no idea what you are doing and a limited budget, the most bang for your buck is $100 for a DMP and lossless vs Spotify which is absolute crap.

Otherwise the easiest path to upgrade is look here in classifieds or on Bavsound closeout website for open box. Their stuff is all plug and play and pretty idiot proof, you don't need to buy connectors or adapters or modify anything.

You could get a FiiO X1 and the Bavsound speakers for your budget. Subs you could add later as budget allows.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Swiftmike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlefist View Post
Yeah I was actually looking into this, I mean the whole SDS system seems pretty cool and all, but for the price just enabling Enchanced BT/USB might be my better option and I can just invest the money used there on a amp.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
Swiftmike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Since you have no idea what you are doing and a limited budget, the most bang for your buck is $100 for a DMP and lossless vs Spotify which is absolute crap.

Otherwise the easiest path to upgrade is look here in classifieds or on Bavsound closeout website for open box. Their stuff is all plug and play and pretty idiot proof, you don't need to buy connectors or adapters or modify anything.

You could get a FiiO X1 and the Bavsound speakers for your budget. Subs you could add later as budget allows.
I know I might sound a bit thick here, but I'm not entirely sure what a DMP and lossless is, from what I saw when I looked up the FiiO its just a music player with a tuner and such that puts out the highest quality sound? My only real issue there is the pure convenience that spotify brings, that while I acknowledge that the gap in sound quality is probably quite a bit, does it really outweigh having to go and buy (or pirate I guess) music and download it too the player? I mean having most of what I want to listen too can't be overstate.

As for the speakers , Ihave looked into them, but was unsure if I would really notice a huge difference without investing in other upgrades like an amp, which would also lead to my other question, would I really notice all these upgrades if I didn't use a something like the FiiO over spotify?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You've got a couple of different things you are trying to understand here. First, the speakers, yes they will make a difference. I put just speakers (Bavsound) in my 2014 Hifi wagon and they made a huge difference. You can do those - easy and idiot proof install with US based company / support - or a number of other options. But long story short changing just speakers and nothing else will yield substantial improvement.

The your source content. You familiar with how streaming / compression works? To vastly oversimplify you can go from lossless (which does what it sounds like) to super compressed and streamed like Spotify. Basically you take a bunch of data from the song and throw it away to make the file smaller. You can take your CDs, convert them to FLAC (lossless format) via dbAmp or another ripper, and save high quality copies. Think CD vs cassette tape from back in the day.

From there you have digital music which you need to convert to analog so you can actually hear it. FiiO does the conversion via DAC (digital / analog conversion) which is much better than the DAC in the car. You also have an amp in the FiiO which helps with volume.

In essence you are taking all the "smart work" away from the car, handling it in a standalone device that is better at it, and allowing the car to be dumb.
Appreciate 0