F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Problem with Bluetooth streaming on 2016 F30
ARMA SPEED

07-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
rogersmj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Problem with Bluetooth streaming on 2016 F30

I tend to listen to a lot of content streamed from my iPhone (a 6s Plus, running the latest version of iOS 10). My F30 doesn't like me to do this. Nearly every time I start the car, it refuses play audio from my phone until I cycle to a different input, and then back to Bluetooth input.

The phone reports that everything is playing fine -- I can see the progress bar on the podcast advancing, the timer is advancing, I can tap the play/pause button, and the audio output is correctly pointing at the BMW Bluetooth connection. On the car, the display will show that the correct input is selected, and the volume is at the appropriate level. Everything *appears* to be working correctly -- the car auto-connects the phone, my last media automatically starts playing (according to the display).

However, nothing will come out of the car's speakers until I select a different input, then back to Bluetooth. I've gotten in the habit of tapping the iDrive's "Radio" button, then the "Media" button to get it to work.

What gives? Any way around this annoyance? I've used this exact same phone for Bluetooth streaming in a VW and an Acura with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
chaw6125
Rep
Drives: e90 318i Sport Plus Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
I tend to listen to a lot of content streamed from my iPhone (a 6s Plus, running the latest version of iOS 10). My F30 doesn't like me to do this. Nearly every time I start the car, it refuses play audio from my phone until I cycle to a different input, and then back to Bluetooth input.

The phone reports that everything is playing fine -- I can see the progress bar on the podcast advancing, the timer is advancing, I can tap the play/pause button, and the audio output is correctly pointing at the BMW Bluetooth connection. On the car, the display will show that the correct input is selected, and the volume is at the appropriate level. Everything *appears* to be working correctly -- the car auto-connects the phone, my last media automatically starts playing (according to the display).

However, nothing will come out of the car's speakers until I select a different input, then back to Bluetooth. I've gotten in the habit of tapping the iDrive's "Radio" button, then the "Media" button to get it to work.

What gives? Any way around this annoyance? I've used this exact same phone for Bluetooth streaming in a VW and an Acura with no issues.
I had this issue in my e90 with CIC. It didn't bother me too much as it was quick to flick between the two. In a NBT evo though this would be annoying.

I'm having issues in my F30 with my iphone needing me to hit play for the music to start and although I can browse the songs via the idrive controller and steering wheel I can't select them. It carries on playing the same song or starts that same track again.

Waiting to see what my BMW dealer say about it. I have faith.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 04:35 AM   #3
li21
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

I have an issue where if I play a video though Youtube, FAcebook etc.. the audio will not stream to the F30 audio system.
It seems to work fine with other BMW cars, just not my F30..
Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
DLeMs
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post

Did you ever find a solution? I have this same problem. It didn't start happening until maybe a year ago. I'd love to know what the fix is
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
agentsunday
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeMs View Post
Did you ever find a solution? I have this same problem. It didn't start happening until maybe a year ago. I'd love to know what the fix is
Same here. I cannot get my iPhone 8 with iOS 14 to sync with the audio. I can receive and place calls but I cannot stream Pandora. I hope I don't have to wait for an update to iOS before I can stream music again. Local radio is the worst.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #6
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

I've had a similar problem. If I am driving and try to stream bluetooth audio, it does not work. I have found a way around this.

1. Start playing the audio/podcast/youtube before starting the car.
2. Hit option button, and turn bluetooth off on the car, then back on while playing the audio/podcast/youtube.

It's really annoying came to the forums searching for answers as well.

Using an iPhone 8 with latest software.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
I have an iphone 11 with ios 14 and it will usually work OK, but sometimes I'll have to switch to radio for a minute or two then it'll work. This has been going on across multiple iphones — 7, 8, X, 11 — for a long time. Doesn't matter if I'm streaming Apple music (I don't use Pandora or Spotify) or playing stuff stored on the phone. It'll also glitch and skip before resuming normal playback.

Apple blames BMW. BMW blames Apple. So it'll never get fixed. Any Android users experiencing this problem?

I coded BT audio in my car as I didn't buy the tech package, so YMMV. I used to use the USB plug under the armrest but that is so underpowered in earlier F30s that any modern phone will draw too much current and it constantly resets.