F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best upgrade path for 6.5" screen on early 2013 model
ARMA SPEED

06-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Sup guys, the tiny 6.5" screen on my early model F30 is starting to drive me crazy. It looks kind of cheap and I'm really lusting after a better unit.
Now, the tech in the car is as base as it gets - no nav, no BT music, no nothing really besides the no frills options. For this reason the Avin unit intrigues me, but I would prefer something OEM. I've been reading around threads saying it's simple to upgrade to the 8.8" screen, although I'm not sure it would work on my older model F30 (i.e. Not NBT, I think?)

Open to recommendations, let me know what you would do in my situation!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Sup guys, the tiny 6.5" screen on my early model F30 is starting to drive me crazy. Looks kind of cheap and I'm really lusting after a better unit.
Now, the tech in the car is as base as it gets - no nav, no BT music, no nothing really besides the no frills options. For this reason the Avin unit intrigues me, but I would prefer something OEM. I've been reading around threads saying it's simple to upgrade to the 8.8" screen, although I'm not sure it would work on my older model F30 (i.e. Not NBT, I think?)

Check w bimmertech they have a kit no coding required
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

I think I read somewhere that the 8.8" works on the CIC (non-NBT). I have a 10.25" that I'll be installing in my car. I'm gonna test the 8.8" on my brother-in-law's car (CIC 6.5") once I have mine installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehatchblack View Post
I think I read somewhere that the 8.8" works on the CIC (non-NBT). I have a 10.25" that I'll be installing in my car. I'm gonna test the 8.8" on my brother-in-law's car (CIC 6.5") once I have mine installed.
Do you have a NBT unit in your car? I'm in the same situation, base 2013 and looking to upgrade, I actually already have the 10.25 inch screen but it looks like it doesn't work, wonder if it maybe just needs a different power cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #5
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sup guys, the tiny 6.5" screen on my early model F30 is starting to drive me crazy. It looks kind of cheap and I'm really lusting after a better unit.

All depends how much you want to spend to make it work, those Android units can be had for a good price and you get a lot more features.

They are all pretty much the same, Avin seems to be more expensive then others with no real advantage that I am aware of.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:57 PM   #6
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post
Quote:

All depends how much you want to spend to make it work, those Android units can be had for a good price and you get a lot more features.

They are all pretty much the same, Avin seems to be more expensive then others with no real advantage that I am aware of.
Hm I will have to look up some of the other android options... I didn't think of that.
The retrofit unit from bimmertech are sweet but $$$
Looking to spend under $750 ideally, if I could snag a screen for $500 and re code it I would probably do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

Quote:
Do you have a NBT unit in your car? I'm in the same situation, base 2013 and looking to upgrade, I actually already have the 10.25 inch screen but it looks like it doesn't work, wonder if it maybe just needs a different power cable.
I have a 2014 w/ Nav so it's NBT. My brother in law's is an early 2014 model w/o Nav (6.5"), so it should be CIC, but I haven't checked. I think I read my 8.8" will fit in his, but I'm not sure about 10.25". I have the 10.25" for me but I'm not doing mine for another few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehatchblack View Post
Quote:
I have a 2014 w/ Nav so it's NBT. My brother in law's is an early 2014 model w/o Nav (6.5"), so it should be CIC, but I haven't checked. I think I read my 8.8" will fit in his, but I'm not sure about 10.25". I have the 10.25" for me but I'm not doing mine for another few weeks.
You should maybe try the 10.25 in his car ?.
Appreciate 0