BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Buy Dinan M2? Keep RS4? Wait for M2 CS?

05-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Question Buy Dinan M2? Keep RS4? Wait for M2 CS?

I have no idea what to do. I have money down on a MY 2018 M2, with an option to extend down payment to a CS. I currently have an Audi RS4 to sell or keep. Love my car but am looking for some rear wheel drive shenanigan opportunities. I have the chance to buy a 2017 performance edition m2 in which i would have dinan turbo/intercooler/ecu chip installed. OR keep my spot in line for 2018 with dinan turbo/intercooler/ecu chip/suspension. OR wait and hope for a CS with dinan ecu chip. WHAT should i do??
Does anyone have the Dinan performance upgrades done?? If so, how much do you love it?!
I would be very interested and thankful for anyone that has first hand experience with the Dinan product line!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
'Q
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

If you were a collector, i would've suggested that you wait for the CS, and keep it stock. Don't wait, get your hands on the one you have the money down on + the Dinan stuff.

G11 7Series - Maserati Ghibli - Audi B8 RS4
Past: Alpina E92 B3 - GTR33 - GTR35 - Supra - VW Beetle Cup Edition - DC5 Type R Turbo
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      05-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

CS will likely be $70k or more whenever it arrives so maybe that will influence you? How important is the S55 vs N55 to you? Will you even be able to get a CS if you want one? Just some questions to think about. Personally I would stay far away from the performance edition cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Dinan doesn't do a "chip," it does a piggyback, along with an intake, a modded turbo, an intercooler and an exhaust. They call it their P2 package, and claim roughly 450/450 at the crank on 93.

I have this package, without the exhaust but with a 200 cell catted DP. The car drives well. Mid and upper rpm power boost is enjoyable. It doesn't give you a "holy shit, I'm going to die if I don't lift" feeling, but it's nice, and very OEM in vibe, up and down the tach.

I haven't done anything suspension-wise yet other than springs and spacers. I'm going to get through track season here and see what I think, but Dinan sells lots of suspension bits for this car as well.

My own attitude on these things is that life is short--wait long enough to get what you want without getting gouged, but not so long that you are perpetually waiting for the next, "better" model. If you are a tweaker, you can mod the car to stay close to that next model in any event. Get driving!!
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      05-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys! The price tag doesn't bother me as much as not having the "best" of the model line-up. While not a collector, I do treat cars like they are being collected. I have a 2007 rs4 with 30k miles in mint condition.
The main reason for wanting the CS is for the S55 engine and a few of the carbon fiber bits i would other wise buy and add to the standard M2. I am not a huge track guy but would like to get into that world. Would hate to know that if i waited 6-9 months i could have had the car i have been searching for for a long time. Dont get me wrong, i bet the Dinan package M2 is terrific and it may be the route i take, but if they give me the chance at CS for 70K i think i am in. If the CS is only automatic then i will feel like i wasted my time and should have gone with the 2018 M2. I have been on every website with rumors and updates on the 2018 updates as well as the CS news. Like Transfer said, who knows if i will even be able to get ahold of a CS I'm new to the BMW world and have no previous history with a dealer for any possible favors. Anyways, those are my thoughts. Just need to vent as my brother-in-law is probably tired of talking about it with me.
thanks for the responses. if anyone has any other opinions on the Dinan or hears any rumors please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Q View Post
If you were a collector, i would've suggested that you wait for the CS, and keep it stock. Don't wait, get your hands on the one you have the money down on + the Dinan stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Dinan doesn't do a "chip," it does a piggyback, along with an intake, a modded turbo, an intercooler and an exhaust. They call it their P2 package, and claim roughly 450/450 at the crank on 93.

I have this package, without the exhaust but with a 200 cell catted DP. The car drives well. Mid and upper rpm power boost is enjoyable. It doesn't give you a "holy shit, I'm going to die if I don't lift" feeling, but it's nice, and very OEM in vibe, up and down the tach.

I haven't done anything suspension-wise yet other than springs and spacers. I'm going to get through track season here and see what I think, but Dinan sells lots of suspension bits for this car as well.

My own attitude on these things is that life is short--wait long enough to get what you want without getting gouged, but not so long that you are perpetually waiting for the next, "better" model. If you are a tweaker, you can mod the car to stay close to that next model in any event. Get driving!!
Thanks guy, i know its not a "chip" Was just saving some typing. I have been up and down the website 50 times as well as spoken to the parts and service manager at the dealership where i plan to have the port install work done.
I am 50/50 on the suspension upgrades as well. I am sure they are well made and a true benefit to the car but we shall see. I have a price quote from the dealer for @$8k parts and install of the P2. Just have to make up my mind and do it quickly. I was 2nd or 3rd on the list at one dealer ship and 2nd at another.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

In this case listen to your heart which is what ever you desired most.

If you listen to your heart, you may lose more $$$ but you will not end up regretting the decision.

If you listen to your head, you may save some $$$ but you most likely will regret the missed opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

I find this fascinating as my situation is almost identical to mtoosexy. I'm a former RS4 owner, currently in a modded Golf R and have never owned a BMW. The M2 appears to me to be the perfect marriage of size, price, performance and maturity (man, do I ever feel old when the only people who take note of my R are under the age of 21) for me to make it my next car.

There are a pair of PE's available up in Dallas - so I'm really interested in Transfer's advice about "staying away" from the PE's, and the other options dealers are giving me in terms of getting an post LCI allocation or waiting for the CS edition (w/out knowing a bunch of info, like price). I wish it was as easy as "do you want to buy a M2?" - but at this moment there appear to be "sure, but" scenarios that are making it hard to decide what to do.

I have a bunch of other related questions, but don't want to hijack the OP's thread. Maybe I'll start my own noobish one with all of the detail questions I can't find searching through the forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Go for the Dinan package with a catted DP on a base M2. You'll be right around $60k (6MT) which is a lot cheaper than what an M2 CS will be with more HP/TQ (assuming stock) and sound shit loads better.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
In this case listen to your heart which is what ever you desired most.

If you listen to your heart, you may lose more $$$ but you will not end up regretting the decision.

If you listen to your head, you may save some $$$ but you most likely will regret the missed opportunity.
Listen to your heart after your head sorts out some options. Listening to any one completely will lead to regrets.

I listened to my heart once in college and ended up regretting it for about 18 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post

I have no idea what to do. I have money down on a MY 2018 M2, with an option to extend down payment to a CS. I currently have an Audi RS4 to sell or keep. Love my car but am looking for some rear wheel drive shenanigan opportunities. I have the chance to buy a 2017 performance edition m2 in which i would have dinan turbo/intercooler/ecu chip installed. OR keep my spot in line for 2018 with dinan turbo/intercooler/ecu chip/suspension. OR wait and hope for a CS with dinan ecu chip. WHAT should i do??
Does anyone have the Dinan performance upgrades done?? If so, how much do you love it?!
I would be very interested and thankful for anyone that has first hand experience with the Dinan product line!
Not first hand but I will note that one of our engineers that worked on our M2 sold his RS4 and bought our development M2 he liked it so much. I think that says volumes.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Not first hand but I will note that one of our engineers that worked on our M2 sold his RS4 and bought our development M2 he liked it so much. I think that says volumes.
Has the S2 done all its rounds with the media?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Quote:
Has the S2 done all its rounds with the media?
Yes. Still waiting on some of the outlets to publish buts the press run is done.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

keep the RS4 it's a great car! Get the M2 mod it drive it, get your name on the list for the CS or the M2 Version 2 with the M3/M4 motor...I'm going to say we won't see that car till end of life and in late 18, early 19.

I love the Audis and miss having a modern Audi one around, my vote keep it, if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #15
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
I find this fascinating as my situation is almost identical to mtoosexy. I'm a former RS4 owner, currently in a modded Golf R and have never owned a BMW. The M2 appears to me to be the perfect marriage of size, price, performance and maturity (man, do I ever feel old when the only people who take note of my R are under the age of 21) for me to make it my next car.

There are a pair of PE's available up in Dallas - so I'm really interested in Transfer's advice about "staying away" from the PE's, and the other options dealers are giving me in terms of getting an post LCI allocation or waiting for the CS edition (w/out knowing a bunch of info, like price). I wish it was as easy as "do you want to buy a M2?" - but at this moment there appear to be "sure, but" scenarios that are making it hard to decide what to do.

I have a bunch of other related questions, but don't want to hijack the OP's thread. Maybe I'll start my own noobish one with all of the detail questions I can't find searching through the forums.
Ask away bro!!! I am noob to BMW as well.. I have driven 4 different versions of the M3 in the past(friends/coworker's cars) I liked them alot!!
This M2 seems to tick alot of the right boxes for me. ONLY thing that gives me pause is the 2 door. I have two kids under 4 and under so the 2 door thing may be an issue once in a while but i feel it is worth the trade-off. I currently have the RS4. Not sure if iam going to sell it or not. I should so the wife is happy but we shall see. I am sure any questions you have, i would be interested in hearing the answers to as well.

Last edited by mtoosexy; 05-30-2017 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #16
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
keep the RS4 it's a great car! Get the M2 mod it drive it, get your name on the list for the CS or the M2 Version 2 with the M3/M4 motor...I'm going to say we won't see that car till end of life and in late 18, early 19.

I love the Audis and miss having a modern Audi one around, my vote keep it, if you can.
I WANT to keep the RS4 and get a garage lift but will have to see what the wife says. So are u suggesting buy the MY 2018 and trade it in for the CS... when and if it comes out? Cuz i was kinda thinking the same thing
      05-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #17
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is high praise indeed!!!
      05-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #18
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

Not sure an RS4 is comparable to the M2 in anything but being a performance car. It's more comparable to the M3. I love my M2 but wouldn't have bought it had an M4 Gran Coupe been built or an RS6 Avant sold in the US. Everyone has their own preference/taste as to what they like etc.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Listen to your heart after your head sorts out some options. Listening to any one completely will lead to regrets.

I listened to my heart once in college and ended up regretting it for about 18 months.
what was her name... ?
Appreciate 1
Gatte1193.00
      06-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #20
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Anyone put car seats in the rear of M2?
      06-02-2017, 01:32 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
Anyone put car seats in the rear of M2?
It's a car so.. yes... people with small children do that sort of thing ..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17420.00
      06-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #22
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

well, as I stated in another thread, I ended up deciding to add my name to a wait list for the CS. My dealer here, insists the car will come in around the price of the PE (which was $64.9K for the DCT version) and if I was considering that, I'd totally go <$70K for a M2CS with the S55. I'm not in a hurry, so I guess we'll find out.

I would still like to better understand why some people would "avoid the PE" cars.
Appreciate 1