F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340ix Rear Ended. Replace OEM Exhaust with MPE, MPPSK, Dinan? (pics)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Question 340ix Rear Ended. Replace OEM Exhaust with MPE, MPPSK, Dinan? (pics)

2016 340i xDrive 6MT, loaded. Got rear ended at a stand-still @ ~40mph earlier this week by a Buick Enclave SUV. Getting it repaired at a BMW Certified Collision Center. Preliminary estimate is $9,800. Thankfully, it was a high (raised) impact with no frame damage.

OEM muffler needs to be replaced. Credit for muffler, muffler clamp, and black chrome exhaust tips is $1,072.

Options for repair after credit –
¬ M Performance Power & Sound Kit ~$2,000
¬ M Performance Exhaust ~$250
¬ Dinan Free Flow Exhaust ~$300 (+ Dinan Midpipe ~$400?)

Considerations –
¬ Car is a lease, 1.5 years remaining
¬ Not sure if I would purchase after lease in lieu of “incident”
¬ Car already has Dinan Performance Springs & Bump Stops

Honestly, I would have likely kept the car as a nice commuter car after the lease expired but since it has been in an incident I’m thinking otherwise now. I’m sure the BMW Certified Collision Center will do a great job but in my experience, it’s just never the same.

I’m leaning more towards the MPE or Dinan exhaust as opposed to the MPPSK. What’s better? I enjoy the OEM sound in Sport mode but wouldn’t be opposed to something just a little bit more aggressive sounding as long as it’s not too loud. I feel like I might want the Dinan Exhuast + Midpipe, but even then, it’s nearly half the cost of the MPPSK.

Only way I would go MPPSK is if I decided to keep the car beyond the 1.5 years remaining on the lease, but I feel as though the car has been tarnished.

I guess the bottom line would be whether I keep the car or not and for how long.

Thoughts? Thanks!

>>>>Edit: Went with MPPSK after finding midpipe also bent for $1,800 total full OEM exhaust parts credit

Last edited by MomoM3; 06-17-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'm dissapointed with my new M Performance Exhaust. I wanted a valved muffler because I don't want to wake the neighbors at 5AM, but I honestly can't hear the difference between the MPE and stock exhaust. I'm going to have the resonator removed next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

How about Remus? I have the M exhaust. If I could get a do over, I'd go Remus.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
I'm dissapointed with my new M Performance Exhaust. I wanted a valved muffler because I don't want to wake the neighbors at 5AM, but I honestly can't hear the difference between the MPE and stock exhaust. I'm going to have the resonator removed next week.
Why are you disappointed with the MPE? Because it sounds the same as the OEM exhaust? That might not be so bad in may case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435MSport6Speed View Post
I don't know anything about Remus, tell me about it! Why would you have picked Remus over the MPE? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435MSport6Speed View Post
If OP doesn't buy the lease out he will have to put an OEM exhaust on at lease return. Not worth it.

This is one of the advantages of a lease. Hand the car back and move on since as you say it may never be the same. Make sure you get an exhaust that will make handing the car back simple so Dinan, OEM or MPE.
      05-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Why are you disappointed with the MPE? Because it sounds the same as the OEM exhaust?
If I wanted to install an exhaust that sounds like the OE exhaust, I would have removed the OE exhaust and replaced it with an OE exhaust. Or, as crazy as it sounds, not removed the exhaust at all.
Appreciate 1
stormlv930.50
      05-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceRx View Post
If OP doesn't buy the lease out he will have to put an OEM exhaust on at lease return. Not worth it.

This is one of the advantages of a lease. Hand the car back and move on since as you say it may never be the same. Make sure you get an exhaust that will make handing the car back simple so Dinan, OEM or MPE.
True. So I'm limited to OEM, MPE, or Dinan if I return at lease-end.

So then it looks like I'm between MPE or Dinan. If there were 2+ years left on the lease I'd consider MPPSK, but even then I'm thinking about not keeping the car with this much damage. Even though $1k is a significant discount off MPPSK it might not be worth it if I'm indeed turning the car in with 1.5 years left... bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

So I guess a better question here would be - what's the difference between the MPE and Dinan exhaust for the 340i?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

I was supposed to get my car back yesterday. The bodyshop was attempting to fit the MPE I opted for in lieu of the OEM exhaust and they found that the entire OEM midpipe was bent requiring the bodyshop to replace it. I stopped them right there... Luckily, I was able to return the MPE and instead opted to have them exchange for the MPPSK with a $1,800 credit for the entire OEM exhaust system

Basically, I'm paying $1,100 to upgrade to the MPPSK which is a deal and half in my book. Sure, it required me to get rear-ended, but hey... when life gives you lemons...

Should get my car back mid-next week and super excited to have a completely different car!
Appreciate 1
otay826.00