F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > tail wag on a 2013 335i XDrive SportLine
Studio RSR

05-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
MattCowher
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i SportLine

tail wag on a 2013 335i XDrive SportLine

I was on the highway going about 75 or 80 and the truck in front of me had something in the back that came flying out. I swerved quickly staying in the same lane. I had a 2010 Jetta TDI before this and it could handle this maneuver yet my freekin B M W wagged it's tail like a dog. It felt like an old Camry! Is this the suspension? Do all F30s behave like this? I didn't really rip it up on test drives but the BMWs of old were never less that gocart like with handling. How would I fix this?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCowher View Post
I was on the highway going about 75 or 80 and the truck in front of me had something in the back that came flying out. I swerved quickly staying in the same lane. I had a 2010 Jetta TDI before this and it could handle this maneuver yet my freekin B M W wagged it's tail like a dog. It felt like an old Camry! Is this the suspension? Do all F30s behave like this? I didn't really rip it up on test drives but the BMWs of old were never less that gocart like with handling. How would I fix this?
Does it have the adaptive dampers? Doesn't sound like it. The stock xdrive suspension is pretty awful.

How to fix? Depends on what you want. If you want to keep the comfort for daily driving, but want a more tuned feel and a slight drop, get the KW street comfort suspension. Runs about $1500-$1700 for the kit. If you want a more aggressive set up, Bilstein or KW has you covered.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
... wagged it's tail like a dog. It felt like an old Camry! Is this the suspension? Do all F30s behave like this?...
Lots of threads discuss the "soft" xDrive suspension. I sold my F30 xDrive and went back to a F30 RWD M-Sport... MUCH BETTER! If yours has some miles on it, worn out shocks could be an issue. On the other hand... If you get an F30 xDrive it really makes a difference to get the Adaptive suspension. Meanwhile, maybe a set of aftermarket springs can help resolve the handling issue?

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

+1 for coils. I have street comforts and they are amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Do the rear tires have good tread left?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
Do the rear tires have good tread left?
I was thinking the same thing. Tires. It's your tires.
      05-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
X Drive suspension is notoriously soft. RFTs are not the greatest, and your TDI Jetta is lighter. Suspension, non-RFT tires will go a long way.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceRx View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Tires. It's your tires.
THIS ^
I'm thinking the op just got the car and it's the same tire from the last owner from '13

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Some staggered 19s with summer tires I swear compared to 18s on all seasons is like night and day.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #10
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Some staggered 19s with summer tires I swear compared to 18s on all seasons is like night and day.
Squared set up is actually better than staggered. And a summer is not necessarily better than a all season tire. It is all dependent on tire/brand/spec.

OP: The MKV/A5 chasis was pretty phenomenal. My MKV does have suspension work, but even stock I feel it handled pretty damn good. Right now my MKV GLI is more fun than my civilized F30. Granted my GLI is also pushing 15 to 20 PSIG and it is not stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Quote:
Squared set up is actually better than staggered. And a summer is not necessarily better than a all season tire. It is all dependent on tire/brand/spec.

OP: The MKV/A5 chasis was pretty phenomenal. My MKV does have suspension work, but even stock I feel it handled pretty damn good. Right now my MKV GLI is more fun than my civilized F30. Granted my GLI is also pushing 15 to 20 PSIG and it is not stock.
You could be right but I will find it hard to find anyone on this forum that agrees all seasons are better than summers. Especially S001's or PZeros.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
+1 for coils. I have street comforts and they are amazing.
I also recommend KW Street Comfort Coilovers for F30 xDrive vehicles. Had them on my previous F30.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's a good idea. Staggered induces understeer

BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
Buzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MT 244'80 V70R'07 Golf R'19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
And as opposed to the MK6 Jetta sedan, the MK6 Sportwagen is still on that same MKV/A5 chassis. My MK5 GTI and even my MK6 Sportwagen TDI were more tossable on back roads than the 340ix (w/ adaptive suspension).
OP's case is one of overrated F30 vs underrated MKV/A5 when it comes to handling. (I don't miss my TDI, but I do miss my GTI)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
JollyRodger
Private
Rep
Drives: f31d

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
THIS ^
I'm thinking the op just got the car and it's the same tire from the last owner from '13
$10 that's the issue but instead of getting a new set of tires, OP will drive them to the cords and instead spend two grand on shocks and springs.

The number of people I know who drive on bald tires is always worry some. I just assume everybody on the road is about to have a tire blow.
Appreciate 1
anotheran389.00
      05-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #16
MattCowher
Rep

I just got the car in December. The tires have good tread but they will get replaced at the end of the fall this year. I am a big believer in Summer/ Winter tires. I will start looking into the suspension upgrade options. If it takes a few grand to get her to drive like I was expecting than that's what I'll do. I just wish I didn't feel regret about not buying an Infiniti Q50 sport hybrid and saving myself $5000

edit: besides, why would tires make the ass-end of a car bounce and float away like it did? I just don't understand that one. it didn't slide or loose traction, it was floaty. And for what it's worth the RFTs are friggin aweful whatever idiot thought that was a good idea should be replaced with a small spare tire. you know, the one we all should have had in our trunk? :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I suspect tires (probably lower-profile than your Jetta), and bad road surface.
Heavily rutted lanes can cause pronounced input to the chassis (read up on "tramlining". If you came OUT of a rutted lane, could cause what you experienced.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just got the car in December. The tires have good tread but they will get replaced at the end of the fall this year. I am a big believer in Summer/ Winter tires. I will start looking into the suspension upgrade options. If it takes a few grand to get her to drive like I was expecting than that's what I'll do. I just wish I didn't feel regret about not buying an Infiniti Q50 sport hybrid and saving myself $5000

edit: besides, why would tires make the ass-end of a car bounce and float away like it did? I just don't understand that one. it didn't slide or loose traction, it was floaty. And for what it's worth the RFTs are friggin aweful whatever idiot thought that was a good idea should be replaced with a small spare tire. you know, the one we all should have had in our trunk? :-)
If you meant bounce and not fish tailing (tail wagging is side to side too) then it's the soft shocks/dampers.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
MattCowher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran
Quote:

If you meant bounce and not fish tailing (tail wagging is side to side too) then it's the soft shocks/dampers.
ok so maybe wag was the wrong word. lol

I think suspension is the issue. It is my everyday driver so I don't want it too aggressive but I wanted it to handle better than this. If I want to carve up a back road or I have to avoid a collision I don't want my back end floating away on me.

I think if I fish tailed I would know I needed tires. It was more like how a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis would handle. It kind of felt like a boat making a slow turn.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #20
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran
Quote:

I think suspension is the issue. It is my everyday driver so I don't want it too aggressive but I wanted it to handle better than this. If I want to carve up a back road or I have to avoid a collision I don't want my back end floating away on me.

I think if I fish tailed I would know I needed tires. It was more like how a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis would handle. It kind of felt like a boat making a slow turn.
I think what you're trying to say is you experienced significant & sudden body roll as a result of your abrupt maneuver that felt like it upset the chassis and left a lot to be desired in terms of confidence.

This is totally different from oversteer where the tail actually steps out. What you experienced was likely the result of the suspension being under damped in the name of a softer, ride comfort-biased, setup.

Fwiw, the N55 power train and ZF8HP45 transmission and drivetrain in the 335i is in a different league compared to the Nissan VQ powertrain and Jatco transmission and drivetrain in the Infiniti you have buyers remorse about.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #21
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:

You should look at the bilstein b6 shocks. See this thread http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1200991

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #22
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If I take the steering wheel and crank right and then crank left the car will wag its tail like an excited dog happy see it's a master after a long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long day at work. All-wheel-drive doesn't save you from the rules of physics.

I suggest you head to the nearest driving school for further instructions
Appreciate 0