F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 - 320I (N20) Malfunction
GetBMWParts

05-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
2012 - 320i - (I am only owner) (Built in Munich Germany)
Car gave a Powertrain Malfunction and went into Limp mode.

OBD2 code reads (P13C9) - All I can find is VANOS Intake: Closed Loop control fault - camshaft sticks

Will be towing the car to BMW

Any thoughts ?

The other posts i found relating to this code are very grim

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!

i changed the oil then reset the car with ista d. when i started it i got a whole wack of faults stemming from dsc undervoltage, dme 5v supply out of range. i tried to measure vanos and position for exhaust but it did not move. i tried to solve the voltage error by charging the battery. i reset the car again and started it up.i shut it down and started it gain couple more times and the dsc + flat tire faults disappeared. i let the car idle then noticed the rpm started to lower to 600rpm very smoothly and the car sounded really good from the exhaust. i open ista and measure the vanos. all is well both intake and exhaust works.

turns out the oil change cured the sticking vanos. a bad battery will trip dsc and dme which cuts 5v power to vanos exhaust, oil pressure, accel pedal and more. always fix the first fault at thd bottom of ista then work your way up!

srry for the crappy sentences i hate typing on tablets
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
328esq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Sorry to hear. I have a 2012 328 f30 and this happened to me a couple of days ago. I pulled over, turned the car off, and started her up again and the drivetrain malfunction alert went away.

I ordered an esys cable to use with ISTA to see what turns up. Did your check engine light come on or was it just an alert through idrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328esq View Post
Sorry to hear. I have a 2012 328 f30 and this happened to me a couple of days ago. I pulled over, turned the car off, and started her up again and the drivetrain malfunction alert went away.

I ordered an esys cable to use with ISTA to see what turns up. Did your check engine light come on or was it just an alert through idrive?
I have the check engine light and idrive message. I bought ista/d and the bentley manual.

So it looks like my vanos oil filters/solenoids are clogged with oil that has sludge in it. Car was driven in short trips not fully heated up. Tell tail sign is looking under your oil cap you will see white pus like substance.

Unfortunately to clean the vanos you need to remove the valve cover and lock the timing chain/ vanos camming units. The filters/solenoids are the bolts that hold the vanos units to the engine.

My plan is to flush engine oil a couple times reset with ista d drive till smoking hot. If this does not work plan be is to open her up.
Appreciate 1