F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anybody else got rattling exhaust
Extreme Powerhouse

05-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Ian83w
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i lci

Anybody else got rattling exhaust

Hi all had my new 440lci just over a month got approx 700mls on her. Just fired her up and all I can say is what a horrible noise from the left exhaust pipe. I no not the 140s on other forum have been experiencing this problem. So it seems to have followed suit also. I no it's the flap that closes off on cold start up then opens. But what a embarrassing situation when u have a expensive car and my van sounded better. Ive videoed it so will see if it does it again. As I think u have to record it more than once to prove an issue is there. Has anybody else had this problem with such low mileage. Thanks in advance guys
Here a video

Last edited by Ian83w; 05-10-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Most likely the exhaust valve or valve actuator. Take it back to dealership and your warranty should cover it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Ian83w
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
Most likely the exhaust valve or valve actuator. Take it back to dealership and your warranty should cover it.
Yeah think I may need a few more occasions of it happening 1st tho but will definitely be goin to get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
acslater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Four wheels

+1 for exh valve
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Lol seems to be an epidemic of exhaust rattles. My F30's exhaust also started rattling a month or so ago (it's a 2012 though and it is the first time it happened). I plan to get it checked out during my next oil change. Overall, there seems to be an increase in exhaust rattle threads lately.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

i had that sound on my 340 when i first got it at 6 miles new, but it went away eventually. I dont notice it any more and i usually listen to it as i close my garage door after first starting and after a drive it just purrs now. I have 1100 miles. yours may just go away by itself like mine did maybe it takes the metals time to break in the temperatures normalizing its like the exhaust is heat treating the metals when new and takes time to "break in" the dealer would proplebt say its normal after they see its not hanging wrong or something and say its normal. good luck with it
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Some would pay extra for that sound!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:06 AM   #8
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

My 340 as the same issue. I brought it into the dealer to have that rattle investigated and they kept the car overnight. They told me they were unable to replicate the issue. They went ahead and scratched the rear bumper for me. This got me to thinking that the rattle wasn't in the engine bay but rather from the exhaust. Sure enough, definitely the exhaust. Usually the car has to be sitting for 12+ hours but every time it starts cold, it rattles.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:57 AM   #9
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
They went ahead and scratched the rear bumper for me.
Wait, wut?! They scratched your car?

I had the same issue with my 335 when i did the muffler delete, but then i learned that the valves need to be open up, did that and it was fine. W/ the 340 i went and did both resonators and mufflers and kept valves unplugged and no issue.

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
aigochamaloh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 340i MRM 8AT, 340i MGM 6MT

Wife's 340i has been doing this from day one, most prominent on cold starts, but can hear the rattle around 3-4l rpm. First visit for oil change, the SA didn't even write it up, saying it's the valve operating and it's normal. I said it's not. Took it back in this past week, they've had the car since Saturday. Was just informed car is ready, they replaced the entire muffler as something internally was rattling.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
BMW11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
My 340 as the same issue. I brought it into the dealer to have that rattle investigated and they kept the car overnight. They told me they were unable to replicate the issue. They went ahead and scratched the rear bumper for me. This got me to thinking that the rattle wasn't in the engine bay but rather from the exhaust. Sure enough, definitely the exhaust. Usually the car has to be sitting for 12+ hours but every time it starts cold, it rattles.
I always dread bringing my car in for service wondering what they are gonna do to it its as if its 'standard' to leave with more 'blemishes' then arriving. their priority is NOT to be careful with peoples cars, their priority is do as many cars as possible FAST. this is a formula for almost assured risk and damage. then they deny it if you say hey you scratched my car washing it when i said not to, they stare at you and say nothing but i see it in their eyes that they are thinking 'ok mister please take your car and go home" sad
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      05-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
BMW11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigochamaloh View Post
Wife's 340i has been doing this from day one, most prominent on cold starts, but can hear the rattle around 3-4l rpm. First visit for oil change, the SA didn't even write it up, saying it's the valve operating and it's normal. I said it's not. Took it back in this past week, they've had the car since Saturday. Was just informed car is ready, they replaced the entire muffler as something internally was rattling.
It seems like dealers SA's go to school and are taught initially to always say: "its normal" and "can not replicate" and then ONLY if you keep bringing it back and complaining, then they are taught to go to the next step: "ok mister we will fix it now since you keep bothering us " lol
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #13
Ian83w
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
It seems like dealers SA's go to school and are taught initially to always say: "its normal" and "can not replicate" and then ONLY if you keep bringing it back and complaining, then they are taught to go to the next step: "ok mister we will fix it now since you keep bothering us " lol
Lol yeah well if I had turned up t a dealer for a test drive and it sounded like this I bet it would be pretty embarrassing for them. I bet they would have it changed quicker than a flash of lightning haha. It's only done it once so I will keeping my ears peeled haha. Yes could be the metals and valves just bedding them selves in. Time will tell but just thought I'd ask if anyone else has had similar problems thanks for all replies guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
Ian83w
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They are funny arnt they. NOTHING WRONG well there is think bmw need to admit that there is a faulty exhaust system proberbly on all fx40 so should do a recall. And give us all mppsk as an inconvenience freebie now that would make me
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

No, it's not right. Something's loose. Insist that the dealer correct it. If they can't get it straightened out, try another dealer. My friend's 228i had the same problem developed after about 25k miles and the dealer fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian83w View Post
Yeah think I may need a few more occasions of it happening 1st tho but will definitely be goin to get it sorted
Let us know what the dealership says

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
aigochamaloh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 340i MRM 8AT, 340i MGM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian83w View Post
They are funny arnt they. NOTHING WRONG well there is think bmw need to admit that there is a faulty exhaust system proberbly on all fx40 so should do a recall. And give us all mppsk as an inconvenience freebie now that would make me
It was the same with my speakers in my 340i. I said I was clearly lacking bass compared to my wife's car, but they returned it after an oil change saying working fine. I sat with the tech, did fader and balance adjustments, then he finally agreed the right side bass wasn't working. Turns out the underseat sub wasn't plugged in from the factory.

My push now is that my wife and I both have 340s, this one isn't behaving like the other one.

All stuff I could have diagnosed and fixed at home, but it's under warranty, might as well let them figure it out, if they actually get around to it. I have enough old cars to maintain in the family as is.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #18
Ian83w
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post
No, it's not right. Something's loose. Insist that the dealer correct it. If they can't get it straightened out, try another dealer. My friend's 228i had the same problem developed after about 25k miles and the dealer fixed it.
Well mine has only 700mls on it so u would of expected a better lifespan on that part surely. Seems as tho the quality bmw once had has become abit more lax over the last few years. More quantity than quality. But that nearly in every walk I f loved these days. Seems a shame as these cars are lovely . I'm sure it will get sorted. Thank god for warranties
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
Ian83w
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It was the same with my speakers in my 340i. I said I was clearly lacking bass compared to my wife's car, but they returned it after an oil change saying working fine. I sat with the tech, did fader and balance adjustments, then he finally agreed the right side bass wasn't working. Turns out the underseat sub wasn't plugged in from the factory.

My push now is that my wife and I both have 340s, this one isn't behaving like the other one.

All stuff I could have diagnosed and fixed at home, but it's under warranty, might as well let them figure it out, if they actually get around to it. I have enough old cars to maintain in the family as is.
Yeah they think we must be stupid when we raise issues. Hello we have a clue about cars or we wouldn't of bought x40s. They are a lovely bit of kit just annoying little issues. Hope u get your sorted. At least u will have a better chance of knowing when things are wrong as u have an exact comparison as well
Appreciate 0