F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > HID (Lighting Package for 2014) Headlight Aim
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Altima
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport 6MT (RWD)

HID (Lighting Package for 2014) Headlight Aim

Can someone take a picture of their low beams on a wall at about 25 feet ahead with the wheel pointed straight? I asked the dealer to adjust my headlights because they seemed to low.. Then in the sheet they wrote in that they "adjusted to max spec"
Anyway now it looks like this:
-----__/
__/
(Ignore the dashes, those are just for spacing)
(The passenger side is higher than the drivers side and it joins pretty much like the above lines. Before adjustment it was more like this, but aimed too low for my liking:

__/__/

)

I'm thinking about joining the driver side level to where they adjusted the Pass side. The pass side isn't higher than the bumper of a sedan, while the driver side is below it post dealer adjustment. Both were below it and more even prior to this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

If I remember correctly, BMW purposely has the driver's side slightly lower than the passenger side so as not to blind oncoming traffic. If these are the auto leveling lights, I wouldn't mess with them, especially since the dealer adjusted them according to factory tolerances. If anything, go back to the dealer and ask them to check them again for proper adjustment. And you might also want to inquire about the driver's side being lower from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:06 AM   #3
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Correct, drivers side light is always slightly lower than passenger side to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
Altima
Private
United_States
Rep

But that's the concern.. it wasn't lower before they adjusted it. Not sure why it would need to be lower when the beam/cutoff pattern already takes care of the glare issue not to mention the driver side was and still is aimed to the right slightly rather than straight ahead..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
But that's the concern.. it wasn't lower before they adjusted it
Isn't that why you took it in to them in the 1st place, because they were out of adjustment?

Now they are adjusted & correct - my DS beam is lower than PS on a new car

You may not like the correct adjustment, but pretty much all you are gonna get from a dealer, they won't adjust the lights in any manner or specs other than what is factory
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
Altima
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Isn't that why you took it in to them in the 1st place, because they were out of adjustment?

Now they are adjusted & correct - my DS beam is lower than PS on a new car

You may not like the correct adjustment, but pretty much all you are gonna get from a dealer, they won't adjust the lights in any manner or specs other than what is factory
Yes that is indeed why I had them adjust the beams, however my concern is with whether or not they incorrectly adjusted them. Every shop has a bad tech(or techs), and every good tech has a bad day once in awhile.
Anyway would you mind snapping a picture for me? I want to see how differently your beams are adjusted.
If it looks the same then I won't touch them.

Every new car I've seen or driven, even BMW's, didn't have the beams adjusted unevenly the way mine are now. This is where my concerns are coming from.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima View Post
Yes that is indeed why I had them adjust the beams, however my concern is with whether or not they incorrectly adjusted them. Every shop has a bad tech(or techs), and every good tech has a bad day once in awhile.
Anyway would you mind snapping a picture for me? I want to see how differently your beams are adjusted.
If it looks the same then I won't touch them.

Every new car I've seen or driven, even BMW's, didn't have the beams adjusted unevenly the way mine are now. This is where my concerns are coming from.

Thank you
You sure about that? Every one I've had and/or driven has been adjusted that way. I think they are correct - I wouldn't mess with 'em. Maybe try a different dealer and have them check it for you for peace of mind.

I'll try to take some pics of mine later on today after it gets dark and post them up here.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post
BMW purposely has the driver's side slightly lower than the passenger side so as not to blind oncoming traffic.
True, but that's not the only reason why they're not aimed at the same height. The passenger side is aimed higher to illuminate objects on the side on the road, to give you a better frame of reference of where the side of the road is at the maximum possible distance, and since there's no car approaching you from the passenger side they can do so without blinding oncoming traffic. Method in their madness there is.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Altima
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post
You sure about that? Every one I've had and/or driven has been adjusted that way. I think they are correct - I wouldn't mess with 'em. Maybe try a different dealer and have them check it for you for peace of mind.

I'll try to take some pics of mine later on today after it gets dark and post them up here.
I will consider that... Pictures would be much appreciated!!! I'll do the same for the sake of comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
True, but that's not the only reason why they're not aimed at the same height. The passenger side is aimed higher to illuminate objects on the side on the road, to give you a better frame of reference of where the side of the road is at the maximum possible distance, and since there's no car approaching you from the passenger side they can do so without blinding oncoming traffic. Method in their madness there is.
Yes, you are correct - I remember reading that as well somewhere a while back, but didn't remember that fact when I posted, so thank you for that additional info!
Appreciate 0