BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Focus RS (in terms of ride quality)

04-24-2017, 05:22 AM   #1
StefanV
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI LBB DCT

Arrow Focus RS (in terms of ride quality)

Everybody is saying that the M2 redefines what a stiff car means. Since I can't find one to test drive I must rely on comparisons. For me the Focus RS in Sport mode was unnecessary stiff, I was really unbearable on bad roads.

So... if someone test drove both cars please share your opinions. I'm afraid I'll end up with the M2 and it will be unusable for daily driving.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

I would say the Focus RS is more stiff. If you want a great riding sports car you should look into the standard R8. It rides better than a A6.

It seems maybe a RS3 with mag shock or a Macan GTS would be a better choice for you. If you drive a lot of choppy freeway don't get the M2. The wavy roads would be annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
StefanV
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot for your input. Can you compare it with M3/M4 with adaptive damping? Is it between sport and sport+?
I was living under the impression that the Focus is stiffer because everybody is mentioning how stiff it.
If I drop the M2 from my horizon I'll get the Golf R. M2 is more of a dream so if need to make some efforts to get it it will not be for an RS3 or Macan, which are fine cars but without anything in particular to love.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

My old F80 rode horrible but drives best in sport+. In soft mode it doesn't drive well at all and the ride is not that great. The M2 I would say in between sport and sport+ which is splitting hairs on stiff ride. I personally don't mind stiff rides 10 years ago but being older now I don't like to compromise.

Just buy the M2 and enjoy it. If it's not for you just sell it. Not much $$ lost and it'll be like a cheap lease if you decided the ride quality is not what you are looking for. You gotta try them all to know what you really want as your daily driver. Own it for a few month to a year who cares if you loose a few grand as long as you keep your options low.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
We own both and I can say without doubt that the RS in track mode/sport suspension is way stiffer than the M2.

Personally I don't find the M2 stiff. I think BMW did an amazing job on it. I use my M2 as a DD and have zero problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
It's stiff but damped well.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Having owned a focus rs while waiting for my M2 I can give my you my opinion.

The RS is much harder sprung than the M2 and much more bouncy and choppy in terms of ride charavteristic.

The M2 soaks up bumps much better and has overall a better chassis control than the RS.
This is in "normal" mode on the RS,damping setting.

I did try the "sport" setting a couple of times and on the street it is unbareable and adds nothing in terms of performance. It justs gets even more bouncy.

On a flat circuit it might work better.

As I used the RS and now the M2 as daily drivers I thing the M2 is much better as a DD.
In fact, I like just about everything better with the M2 to be honest.
Would never, ever go back to the focus.
Appreciate 2
qnet674.50
      04-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
StefanV
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot for your input. I really appreciate it.
I think you've won an M2 colleague . All I have to sort now is to wait or not for the LCI. Here in Romania since M cars are not at a high demand I can order the current model tomorrow and get it in 3 months or delay it for couple of weeks until the waters are clear in the LCI area. Production slots are very close to July so to tip over in the LCI zone.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
We own both and I can say without doubt that the RS in track mode/sport suspension is way stiffer than the M2.

Personally I don't find the M2 stiff. I think BMW did an amazing job on it. I use my M2 as a DD and have zero problem with it.
I agree on the M2 ride quality. I would describe it as "firm," not stiff. Perfectly comfortable for daily use.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1zbo View Post
Having owned a focus rs while waiting for my M2 I can give my you my opinion.

The RS is much harder sprung than the M2 and much more bouncy and choppy in terms of ride charavteristic.

The M2 soaks up bumps much better and has overall a better chassis control than the RS.
This is in "normal" mode on the RS,damping setting.

I did try the "sport" setting a couple of times and on the street it is unbareable and adds nothing in terms of performance. It justs gets even more bouncy.

On a flat circuit it might work better.

As I used the RS and now the M2 as daily drivers I thing the M2 is much better as a DD.
In fact, I like just about everything better with the M2 to be honest.
Would never, ever go back to the focus.
Wow. The only realistic cars that caught my eye at the 2016 auto shows were these 2 cars , I have never seen a focus RS in person yet....maybe that's why lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #11
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Focus RS suspension just beats you up.

F87 stock suspension is actually quite decent. firm, but that 1st bump impulse isn't jarring. i DD mine. and it's very liveable.
      04-29-2017, 01:52 AM   #12
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanV View Post
Thanks a lot for your input. I really appreciate it.
I think you've won an M2 colleague . All I have to sort now is to wait or not for the LCI. Here in Romania since M cars are not at a high demand I can order the current model tomorrow and get it in 3 months or delay it for couple of weeks until the waters are clear in the LCI area. Production slots are very close to July so to tip over in the LCI zone.
Glad to help. You won't be dissapointed

Here are som more impressions I gave in another thread about the RS:
The RS also has qute bad torque steer which makes it a bit scary on roads with a lot of camber (like twisty back roads that should be what the RS is all about) that you are a bit reluctant to go WOT in 3rd gear as you are being pulled in the direction the surface dictates... Often that means a ditch or oncoming traffic.
I even had wheel alignment done under warranty as I refused to believe it could be this bad in an AWD car.
It made no difference.

I know straight line performance isn´t the most important thing to some people but IMHO the RS is just not fast enough compared to the competition and the advertised HP figures.

Even when I test drove the RS for the first time and had driven a Focus ST a couple of weeks before I honestly thought it hardly felt any faster than the ST in terms of in gear acceleration.

After having had my M2 for a couple of weeks I would say it feels at least as it has 50-70 whp more than the RS. It pulls so much harder I am still being surprised of just how hard that thing pulls.
I believe around 50 whp difference is what dyno runs indicates but I think the shorter gearing of the DCT and a bit lower weght adds a bit to the performence and the sensation.

All in all I could not be happier with the M2 and I still do not miss the RS.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Everybody is saying that the M2 redefines what a stiff car means. Since I can't find one to test drive I must rely on comparisons. For me the Focus RS in Sport mode was unnecessary stiff, I was really unbearable on bad roads.

So... if someone test drove both cars please share your opinions. I'm afraid I'll end up with the M2 and it will be unusable for daily driving.
I recently traded my M235i for an M2. I was a bit worried about the M2 being too stiff with the nonadjustable suspension. I loved my 235i since I could switch between a very comfortable ride to a somewhat stiffer ride. Initially my M2 felt too stiff, but now I really love it. It feels just right and it's not too stiff.
      06-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #14
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I traded my M235i in for a Focus RS. I love the car but it does ride rough. Its not bad on better paved roads, but on older roads you feel every bump. On better/ newer paved roads it rides nice.

Anyway, I'm still on a list for a M2 but I'm not sure what I will do. I'm liking the RS much better than I thought I would.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #15
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your input. Can you compare it with M3/M4 with adaptive damping? Is it between sport and sport+?
I was living under the impression that the Focus is stiffer because everybody is mentioning how stiff it.
If I drop the M2 from my horizon I'll get the Golf R. M2 is more of a dream so if need to make some efforts to get it it will not be for an RS3 or Macan, which are fine cars but without anything in particular to love.
The M2 is pretty stiff. It is a decent compromise, but it can be choppy on rough roads. Get the golf R. I had one. It is sublime. Great in comfort mode, yet sport in race mode while not bearing you up. Also had awd if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:26 AM   #16
StefanV
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Get the golf R.
M2 build week confirmed by the factory for week 33 . So M2 will be
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

traded mine for the m2. Definitely not a mistake!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #18
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I had a Fiesta ST which shouldn't be as stiff as the RS. It felt stiffer than the M2, so I can imagine the RS definitely would be.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #19
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

After driving the RS for a little over a month, the ride quality isn't that bad. I guess I've gotten accustomed to it. In normal-mode, especially on nicely paved roads; it's just as nice as any other car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #20
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM View Post
I had a Fiesta ST which shouldn't be as stiff as the RS. It felt stiffer than the M2, so I can imagine the RS definitely would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
After driving the RS for a little over a month, the ride quality isn't that bad. I guess I've gotten accustomed to it. In normal-mode, especially on nicely paved roads; it's just as nice as any other car.
I feel like all these complaints about stiffness in modern cars is a huge misnomer. Having driven the BMW M2, Ford Focus RS and Ford Focus ST non of these even felt remotely stiff compared to my Z4M or Lotus Elise experiences. Dare I say folks are getting soft?

For what it's worth, I would take the BMW M2 over the Focus RS all day if cost is not a concern.
Appreciate 3
stefan2346.50
chris7197226.50
qnet674.50
      07-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #21
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
M2 build week confirmed by the factory for week 33 . So M2 will be
Nice
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:00 AM   #22
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
I feel like all these complaints about stiffness in modern cars is a huge misnomer. Having driven the BMW M2, Ford Focus RS and Ford Focus ST non of these even felt remotely stiff compared to my Z4M or Lotus Elise experiences. Dare I say folks are getting soft?

For what it's worth, I would take the BMW M2 over the Focus RS all day if cost is not a concern.
Is the M2 less stiff than a stock Z4M (no coilovers)? Does it have more body roll than a stock Z4M?
Appreciate 0