F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Seat Wear
GetBMWParts

04-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Seat Wear

The left side bolster is rapidly wearing on my drivers seat. What can I do to slow the wear down?

The sport seats on my 335i have 33k miles on it, 3k are mine. My body rubs against the bolster as I sit down. When I can, I sit down on the seat with my body 90* to the front, and then slide my feet around to the front. This prevents heavy contact with the bolster, but it's a little tedious doing it.

My E46 330izhp didn't have such a pronounced bolster, hence it lasted a long time. I'm concerned that my drivers seat will have a very short life unless I do something about it now. What can I do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

The CPO car I purchased had the similar rub mark but worse than yours. It was one of the issues, I asked them to fix before delivery. It was completely gone once fixed. This is the good news. I am not sure what you can do for rubbing, maybe pull the seat a little backwards to give more space?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
The left side bolster is rapidly wearing on my drivers seat. What can I do to slow the wear down?

The sport seats on my 335i have 33k miles on it, 3k are mine. My body rubs against the bolster as I sit down. When I can, I sit down on the seat with my body 90* to the front, and then slide my feet around to the front. This prevents heavy contact with the bolster, but it's a little tedious doing it.

My E46 330izhp didn't have such a pronounced bolster, hence it lasted a long time. I'm concerned that my drivers seat will have a very short life unless I do something about it now. What can I do?
if you are still under warranty the dealer can fix it/replace it.
I had this happen to me twice on different cars (X3 & F36) and both times the leather was replaced, but I was under warranty.
      04-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A.
Quote:

I had this happen to me twice on different cars (X3 & F36) and both times the leather was replaced, but I was under warranty.
Really? At that milage? My original warranty is still good until December. I'll wait a little longer. But, how do I prevent it in the future?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
YodaMan79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Really? At that milage? My original warranty is still good until December. I'll wait a little longer. But, how do I prevent it in the future?
At 38,000 miles I brought this same issue to my dealers attention before the original warranty was up, I was told they couldn't do anything for me. That BMW considers this wear and not a defect. I wish I had the synthetic material and not real leather. I do my best to not look at it, it drives me crazy when I do see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A.
Quote:

Once it was replaced I didn't have that problem again.
      04-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

I'd take it in under warranty and insist this is not normal wear and tear.
Quote:
Waiting will not benefit you. The more time that passes, the better argument the dealer has on normal wear. And you can have a discussion with the dealer about what might happen after the warranty period--if the seats were constructed with bad leather, maybe they can make a note in your file for post-warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Once it was replaced I didn't have that problem again.
+1 Only happened with the original leather for me.. I now have 30K+ miles on the replaced leather with no signs of wear.