F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 330i/328d Estate v.s. Audi A5/S5 Sportback
ARMA SPEED

04-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #1
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

330i/328d Estate v.s. Audi A5/S5 Sportback

Any comments from folks that have cross-shopped the A5/S5 Sportback against the F31 wagon?

Audi avant is not an option in the US and we are not interested in the Audi all road. I have an x3 35i now but don't like the driving dynamics on long rides.

As the A5/S5 Sportback has been available a while in Europe I thought there might be some insights out there.

Intrigued by the option of getting six cylinder power in a practical family car (S5 Sportback). In the states we can't get the b58 engine in the 3 series wagon. If we could, would have already ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I didn't want a wagon or an SUV. I would have considered a 5 Sportback if they sold them here, but they didn't. I did consider the 4GC, but went with the 328GT for the additional rear seat room.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

I think the new sportback has better room/clearance in the back the the GC. The GC is very cramped in the back, wouldn't really call it a practical family car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Wunsch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portadown95 View Post
Any comments from folks that have cross-shopped the A5/S5 Sportback against the F31 wagon?
The A5/S5 Sportbacks haven't arrived where I am yet, but just looking at the specs, interior space looks very, very similar to the 4-series Gran Coupé. You could take a look at one of those next to an F31 and see how it looks for your needs.

A5 Sportback specs: http://icdn-4.motor1.com/images/mgl/...-sportback.jpg

4-series Gran Coupé specs: http://www.bmw.ca/content/dam/bmw/ma...-F36-428ix.jpg

3-series Touring specs: http://www.bmw.ca/content/dam/bmw/ma...asheet_big.jpg
      04-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
RaleighDawg
Rep
Drives: 2016 328iX GT

I was going to wait for the sportback to come out in America, but was worried about the back seat. The A4 was too small and the A5 sportback was going to be based on that size presumably and the A7 was more than I wanted to spend.

Just happened to see a loaded 2016 F34 listed as the deal of the day, so checked it out. I couldn't believe how much room it had. The GT even has more room than the Touring.

It is also higher off the ground so it has fit right in on my camping and outdoor trips.

Here are the specs for comparison.

Just something to think about for your comparisons.

I did think the GC looked better, but it was tiny in every direction.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighDawg View Post
I did think the GC looked better, but it was tiny in every direction.
No doubt, the GT won't win any beauty contests. Practicality has its price. I spent 14 months comparing the specs on at least two dozen cars before I pulled the trigger on the GT. Two years in no regrets, especially since I'm driving 6 hours to NYC tomorrow with four adults plus luggage on board.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
RaleighDawg
Rep
Drives: 2016 328iX GT

I think it looks better with a roof rack. Yeah, got a road trip this weekend and glad to have room for four adults and gear.

Im just a fan of the hatchbacks. So the look never seemed odd to me. I just hadn't seen them much before. The only complaints I could understand is the rear seems too big for the rest of the car. But I love the extra storage room.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
Portadown95
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think it looks better with a roof rack. Yeah, got a road trip this weekend and glad to have room for four adults and gear.

Im just a fan of the hatchbacks. So the look never seemed odd to me. I just hadn't seen them much before. The only complaints I could understand is the rear seems too big for the rest of the car. But I love the extra storage room.
Quote:

340 gt would be a no brainer but for the appearance. The back wheels out of proportion (too small) to the curve of the roof--somewhat like a Prius. The x4 has a similar sloping roof but larger wheels and tires
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 02:48 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

The only decent wagon options in the US are:

$$: BMW w/ Dinan Stage 1 (drive one if you can you'll be surprised and impressed, I own one)
$$$$: AMG bigger and possibly more performance than needed
$$$$$$: new Panamera wagon which is going to be spectacular

Since the X3 worked size-wise but you aren't thrilled w driving dynamics I would HIGHLY suggest adding a Macan S to your list. That is a special, special car. New XC60 supposed to be really nice too.

The GC / sportback Audi etc seem like they'd be more practical w the hatch but in real world practice they're just not. Only use case that they're great is mom w kids who don't need comfortable room I back and hatch is easier than sedan. Wagon still wins though.

And just so you know we're on the same page, I definitely would have a 340 stage 2 if sold here. Since not I'm keeping the 328 stage 1 until the RS4/6 Avant comes stateside. Already have deposits down on both.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I cross-shopped the S5 SB and the 4xx extensively. Although I didn't want a 2-door, I ended up with the 440ix Coupe for one reason . . . it was the only high-end AWD car on the market with an MT. That was my deciding factor. However, if I didn't care about an MT, I would have bought the S5 SB. As a matter of fact, I had one on order. Here's how I think about the two cars . . .

The driving dynamics of the S5 are far better than the 3er. That is especially true if you check the box for the Audi S Sport package which includes Audi's extraordinary rear sport diff. In a nutshell, Audi engineered Quattro primarily for driving dynamics with foul weather traction as a added benefit. BMW has engineered xDrive for foul weather driving, leaving behind most of what was left of BMW's historic driving performance.

I thought the interior quality of the 3er was horrible when the car was introduced six years ago. It hasn't gotten any better. The Audi's interior is downright gorgeous imo.

With the exception of Audi's beautiful new virtual cockpit, I think BMW's tech is better than Audi's. BMW's iDrive is better than Audi's MMI. BMW's first-gen HUD (13 years ago!) is better than Audi's newest-gen HUD. I think Audi is number 2, but it's a far second place imo.

I know this may sound like a shill for Audi. But if you look at my sig, you'll see how long I've been devoted to the BMW brand. But I'm not a fan boy. If an MT is not important to you, in this segment, the Audi is a far better car than the BMW imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
Portadown95
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

$$: BMW w/ Dinan Stage 1 (drive one if you can you'll be surprised and impressed, I own one)

Since the X3 worked size-wise but you aren't thrilled w driving dynamics I would HIGHLY suggest adding a Macan S to your list. That is a special, special car. New XC60 supposed to be really nice too.

The GC / sportback Audi etc seem like they'd be more practical w the hatch but in real world practice they're just not. Only use case that they're great is mom w kids who don't need comfortable room I back and hatch is easier than sedan. Wagon still wins though.

And just so you know we're on the same page, I definitely would have a 340 stage 2 if sold here. Since not I'm keeping the 328 stage 1 until the RS4/6 Avant comes stateside. Already have deposits down on both.
Quote:

Thanks for the great info. Did you ever worry about the stage 1 reducing the life of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
Portadown95
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I cross-shopped the S5 SB and the 4xx extensively. Although I didn't want a 2-door, I ended up with the 440ix Coupe for one reason . . . it was the only high-end AWD car on the market with an MT. That was my deciding factor. However, if I didn't care about an MT, I would have bought the S5 SB. As a matter of fact, I had one on order. Here's how I think about the two cars . . .

The driving dynamics of the S5 are far better than the 3er. That is especially true if you check the box for the Audi S Sport package which includes Audi's extraordinary rear sport diff. In a nutshell, Audi engineered Quattro primarily for driving dynamics with foul weather traction as a added benefit. BMW has engineered xDrive for foul weather driving, leaving behind most of what was left of BMW's historic driving performance.

I thought the interior quality of the 3er was horrible when the car was introduced six years ago. It hasn't gotten any better. The Audi's interior is downright gorgeous imo.

With the exception of Audi's beautiful new virtual cockpit, I think BMW's tech is better than Audi's. BMW's iDrive is better than Audi's MMI. BMW's first-gen HUD (13 years ago!) is better than Audi's newest-gen HUD. I think Audi is number 2, but it's a far second place imo.

I know this may sound like a shill for Audi. But if you look at my sig, you'll see how long I've been devoted to the BMW brand. But I'm not a fan boy. If an MT is not important to you, in this segment, the Audi is a far better car than the BMW imo.
Quote:

Thanks. I will get a test drive at first opportunity of the s5 and madam. Everyone raves about the macan.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
Sam!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi Touring

Quote:

I cross shopped with the v60 r-design when I ended up with my 328 touring. V60 felt pretty solid, alas Volvo either didn't want to deal (even with stock just sitting on lots!), or used samples are pretty non-existent around here.
Appreciate 0