F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Ticking noise from drievrs side front wheel
proTUNING Freaks

04-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Bunglebonce
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xdrive

Ticking noise from drievrs side front wheel

Evening all, first post on here so be gentle with me ;-)

I’ve a 2015 F31 335d xdrive with a touch over 8k on the clock and last week, it developed a ticking noise coming from the front offside wheel, similar to that when you’ve a warped disk and it rubs on the pad every rotation.

Jacked it up in neutral and whirled the wheel but nothing to suggest that was the cause.
No play in wheel either when wriggling it and applying the brakes a few times between spins made no difference.

Tried the rear wheel just to make sure, but nothing.

It’s defiantly wheel-speed related though, as siting stationary and revving the engine, makes no difference. It does it whilst coasting along in neutral too, as well as in drive.

Just wondered if anyone had any similar experiences or ideas really, as it can sometimes be a pain in the arse to get people hearing what your ear is ‘tuned into’ and it might assist before I take it in to the dealers

Many thanks in advance.

B
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Did you go through the entire tread of the tire and inspect and pry out any debris, rocks, etc?
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I think that ticking has something to do with one of the systems in the car. I did the BMW performance driving school and when standing outside of the M235i's driving by, you hear that metal clicking sound. BMW told the instructors it's normal

Do you drive in sport plus a lot? That's when the sound was evident on the 2 series
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Bunglebonce
Registered
Rep

Thanks for input both. Went over tyre with fine tooth comb and nothing obvious un tread.

Re the sport setting, that's intresting but i've yet to try it on sport +. I have given it a ragging in sport a couple of times over the last week though. What concerns me is it might be a cv joint or similar!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

issue has been solved?
      05-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
Bunglebonce
Registered
Rep

Update

OK, so I finally gave in and took this to the dealers whilst I still had warranty left.

Despite it being intermittent and the law of sod not usually working in your favour, when I drove it in that morning I was pleasantly surprised to hear it was actually making the noise!

When I got there I asked to speak to a BMW tech and showed him a video I'd captured of it and also took it for a test drive.

He said it can be bricks stuck behind heat shield and even the CV joint gaiter can rub and make a noise. I wasn't convinced it was either of those but bowed to to his expertise and left it with them.

Returned to discover they had ran a diagnostic whilst it was making the racket but unfortunately, the noise stopped half way through the test!

Despite this the computer threw out the suggestion that the CV joint needed grease. To this end, they greased it and also applied some silicone spray to the outside if the gaiter.

Net result, noise gone - for four weeks anyway!

Since then it has come back and has gradually returned to the same frequency and volume as before.

It is now re-booked in, to assess it again and I'm no nearer getting to the bottom of this as I type, but my gut is now telling me dodgy CV joint.

Anybody care to add anything else to this one ;-)

Thanks

B
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
rayant4
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunglebonce View Post
OK, so I finally gave in and took this to the dealers whilst I still had warranty left.

Despite it being intermittent and the law of sod not usually working in your favour, when I drove it in that morning I was pleasantly surprised to hear it was actually making the noise!

When I got there I asked to speak to a BMW tech and showed him a video I'd captured of it and also took it for a test drive.

He said it can be bricks stuck behind heat shield and even the CV joint gaiter can rub and make a noise. I wasn't convinced it was either of those but bowed to to his expertise and left it with them.

Returned to discover they had ran a diagnostic whilst it was making the racket but unfortunately, the noise stopped half way through the test!

Despite this the computer threw out the suggestion that the CV joint needed grease. To this end, they greased it and also applied some silicone spray to the outside if the gaiter.

Net result, noise gone - for four weeks anyway!

Since then it has come back and has gradually returned to the same frequency and volume as before.

It is now re-booked in, to assess it again and I'm no nearer getting to the bottom of this as I type, but my gut is now telling me dodgy CV joint.

Anybody care to add anything else to this one ;-)

Thanks

B
Did t for they figure it out, mine had been making a ticking nose with wheel speed and I can't figure out where it's coming from
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

OP hasn't been heard from for a year, so I wouldn't count on a reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 11:54 AM   #9
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Mine started at 155,000 kms, Canadian winters, it commenced August 2023 Tick tick Zing (turning in parking lot the wheel), driving random zannnnngle throught the plate. Taped my iphone, drove 150 m, sure enough it is from the hub. As I had replaced old Adaptive M suspension with B6 + Dinan, we thought it was suspension. Or Sway bar. OPR LINKS. Go in for winter tires, they did not bother doing a test drive, WHEEL BEARINGS. Sure enough after adding friction discs, 99% of sound subsided. Next stepp, all around wheel bearing swap. As RL is dragging.
Appreciate 0