F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > P0304 & Drive Train Malfunction
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
BAA435I
Rep
Drives: 435i X Coupe'

P0304 & Drive Train Malfunction

I'd like your opinions on a recent dealership repair experience...
Last fall, 2 days before I put my F32 N55 into storage, I received the "Drive Train Malfunction" message followed by the check engine light & limp mode. I pulled the code and found a P0304 history (cyl 4 misfire). This was intermittent for the next day or so until the car was put to bed for the winter.
Fast forward 5 months. Booked appointment with dealer, pulled the car from storage (code & error message were still present) & dropped vehicle off for service. Here's where I'm a little concerned.

According to the service report:
"fault showing fuel cut off and multiple cylinder misfires. Performed test plan and checked high pressure fuel system, injectors, showing no fault.
Test plan showing leak in air intake system. Leak test done but but no leak found. Additional test done according to test plan, inspected spark plugs and found plugs soaked in fuel.
Replaced all injectors & plugs. Cleared faults, drove vehicle, running fine."

All of this was covered under warranty & the car is running fine so far (I just picked it up yesterday & have only driven about 25km). It seems they really didn't determine the root cause of the problem, they just replaced "the usual suspects" and cleared the codes.
I also had them fix the trunk opening (it stopped popping open all of the way). They did the same thing - threw parts at it and said it was fine. But it's not...it still just unlatches but does not open all of the way.
It seems they are just putting blind faith into their SOP's and not checking to see if the problem is even fixed.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I'm sure the situation is exacerbated by all the tunes and mods people slap on..
and this may be affecting how BMW service diagnose issues.. cause they cant really tell what went wrong if they dont know what mods/tunes were on .. just swap out parts and see if everything returns to normal in stock and off you go.. I mean he did run a testplan.
Were you using a tune like JB4 and what kind of mods were on?
leak in air intake system but no leaks found? did you have an upgraded intake on?
plugs soaked in fuel? running overly rich likely because ECU detected high airflow rates its trying to keep AFR tame
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
The trunk popping open issue can be fixed by adjusting the spring on the drivers side of the trunk, just do a search and you'll see how easy it is to adjust.
      04-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
BAA435I
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
I'm sure the situation is exacerbated by all the tunes and mods people slap on..
and this may be affecting how BMW service diagnose issues.. cause they cant really tell what went wrong if they dont know what mods/tunes were on .. just swap out parts and see if everything returns to normal in stock and off you go.. I mean he did run a testplan.
Were you using a tune like JB4 and what kind of mods were on?
leak in air intake system but no leaks found? did you have an upgraded intake on?
plugs soaked in fuel? running overly rich likely because ECU detected high airflow rates its trying to keep AFR tame
Yeah, you're probably right regarding their SOP's.
I'm bone stock, no mods, only 23000km (14000 miles). It's been a week since I picked it up and it seems to be running fine. I'll check the plugs in a month or so just for my own peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
BAA435I
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
The trunk popping open issue can be fixed by adjusting the spring on the drivers side of the trunk, just do a search and you'll see how easy it is to adjust.
Thanks for this. I was going to do this last fall but...yada yada. I figured they may as well tackle it while it's @ the shop. Funny thing is, after they lubricated the tail gate hitch, adjusted the trunk latch and replaced the struts, it still doesn't work (even though they said "now works fine"). SMH
I'll fart around with it this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAA435I View Post
I'd like your opinions on a recent dealership repair experience...
Last fall, 2 days before I put my F32 N55 into storage, I received the "Drive Train Malfunction" message followed by the check engine light & limp mode. I pulled the code and found a P0304 history (cyl 4 misfire). This was intermittent for the next day or so until the car was put to bed for the winter.
Fast forward 5 months. Booked appointment with dealer, pulled the car from storage (code & error message were still present) & dropped vehicle off for service. Here's where I'm a little concerned.

According to the service report:
"fault showing fuel cut off and multiple cylinder misfires. Performed test plan and checked high pressure fuel system, injectors, showing no fault.
Test plan showing leak in air intake system. Leak test done but but no leak found. Additional test done according to test plan, inspected spark plugs and found plugs soaked in fuel.
Replaced all injectors & plugs. Cleared faults, drove vehicle, running fine."

All of this was covered under warranty & the car is running fine so far (I just picked it up yesterday & have only driven about 25km). It seems they really didn't determine the root cause of the problem, they just replaced "the usual suspects" and cleared the codes.
I also had them fix the trunk opening (it stopped popping open all of the way). They did the same thing - threw parts at it and said it was fine. But it's not...it still just unlatches but does not open all of the way.
It seems they are just putting blind faith into their SOP's and not checking to see if the problem is even fixed.
Any thoughts?
probably just an ignition coil..
Appreciate 1