F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 12 Volt Car Audio Amplifier / HK / Turn On Trigger Output Power Fuse
Extreme Powerhouse

04-05-2017, 04:20 AM   #1
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

BMW 12 Volt Car Audio Amplifier / HK / Turn On Trigger Output Power Fuse

Searched online and didn't fund much about 12V power or turn-on lead / wire for amplifier / processor from the BMW car radio / amplifier / Harman Kardon. Called AudioControl and they know that BMW stereo audio output does not send a 'good' signal to trigger their GTO (Great Turn On) circuitry. Hopefully this post helps others.

Am installing a car audio amplifier / powered subwoofer / AudioControl LC2i processor within the 2014 435i and was looking for a turn-on lead / wire and 12V power from the fuse box. Breaking out ye ol' meter i found that BMW provided an open fuse slot that turns on/off with the car. Note that the turn off is delayed by about 3 minutes, yet does turn power off.

NOTE: You'll want to move the little dip switch thing on the side of the AudiControl unit from GTO (auto-sensing) to normal.

Just ordered the E Support 12V 24V Standard Add A Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back Blade Holder Plug Socket Car from Amazon (pic above) that gives a clean install for power. Please ignore my ugly 'test bed' part in pic below.

My pic below shows the fuse location in the trunk (will swap the ugly test setup for the proper fuse bit from Amazon). There are plenty of places for ground so felt no need to post a pic of that.

The HK stereo / amplifier wire harness from www.technicpnp.com works great and you can keep the stock subs and add in your powered sub, or use separate amp on under the seat subs, etc. (thx Elias).

Apologies for 'labored' language yet wanted to be sure this hit all the typical keywords for search engines to find. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future from my own trial and error efforts.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 10-21-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      04-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Nice find. You should probably post this in the Electronics sub-forum over here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=426
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Excellent point!

MODERATOR, please feel free to move post so it's not a double post. Thx.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
n55silverado
mercenary
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Do you have any pictures of the setup with the connector you bought from Amazon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Searched online and didn't fund much about 12V power or turn-on lead / wire for amplifier / processor from the BMW car radio / amplifier / Harman Kardon. Called AudioControl and they know that BMW stereo audio output does not send a 'good' signal to trigger their GTO (Great Turn On) circuitry. Hopefully this post helps others.

Am installing a car audio amplifier / powered subwoofer / AudioControl LC2i processor within the 2014 435i and was looking for a turn-on lead / wire and 12V power from the fuse box. Breaking out ye ol' meter i found that BMW provided an open fuse slot that turns on/off with the car. Note that the turn off is delayed by about 3 minutes, yet does turn power off.

Just ordered the E Support 12V 24V Standard Add A Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back Blade Holder Plug Socket Car from Amazon (pic above) that gives a clean install for power. Please ignore my ugly 'test bed' part in pic below.

My pic below shows the fuse location in the trunk (will swap the ugly test setup for the proper fuse bit from Amazon). There are plenty of places for ground so felt no need to post a pic of that.

The HK stereo / amplifier wire harness from www.technicpnp.com works great and you can keep the stock subs and add in your powered sub, or use separate amp on under the seat subs, etc. (thx Elias).

Apologies for 'labored' language yet wanted to be sure this hit all the typical keywords for search engines to find. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future from my own trial and error efforts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Never took a pic, as it is basically the same as above. Simply swapped the DIY test for the proper fuse setup. Looks pretty much the exact same, frankly, other than using the Amazon-sourced proper fuse holder.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
n55silverado
mercenary
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Never took a pic, as it is basically the same as above. Simply swapped the DIY test for the proper fuse setup. Looks pretty much the exact same, frankly, other than using the Amazon-sourced proper fuse holder.
Did you run your remote out from your LOC or AMP to this fuse as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Yes, all power and turn-on as the sub amp is signal sensing and the AudioControl needs a turn on lead. Power to that fuse stays on about 2 or 3 minutes after car turns off. So good to go with this power setup.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 10-21-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
n55silverado
mercenary
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
So you're just using the signal sensing ability of the loc to power it on and off?

My question was if you were running the power wire from the loc and a remote in to this location.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Yes, 12V power for AudioContol and self-powered sub, plus the turn-on lead for AudioContol goes to that fuse.

Sub amp is signal sensing so no need for turn-on lead.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
n55silverado
mercenary
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I have my 12V Power, Ground, and Remote out going to my sub amp. The Remote in going to the 12V accessory unit located above the HK amp.

Everything will power on just fine. But it won't turn off?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Not a clue, though know my method has a 2 or 3 minute delay until off. Minimal power draw during that time so no worries.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
n55silverado
mercenary
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Solved my issue by disabling the GTO feature on the LC2i.

* switching the pin from my the 2 left prongs to the right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Congrats!!! And yes my apologies as should have mentioned the AudioControl LC2i pin change needed as we're going from stock pin config (auto-sensing) to standard turn-on lead. Something about the BMW's system not outputting the 'correct' signal/thing for signal sensing turn on to work. My bad, thx for posting solution so others can benefit.

Steven
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #14
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:

NOTE: You'll want to move the little dip switch thing on the side of the AudiControl unit from GTO (auto-sensing) to normal.

Which fuse number did you use? for some reason I can't see pics. I've been told fuse 146 is a good 12V
      01-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Not sure the #, i simply used a meter to test it (#146???). If #146 is what others say, then bet that's what it is. Turns on the moment i 'touch' the car, and stays on about 3 minutes after locking. As a turn-on lead, all you need is 1A fuse.

Steven
Appreciate 1
yoon_209363.50
      11-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #16
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

Quote:
Not sure the #, i simply used a meter to test it (#146???). If #146 is what others say, then bet that's what it is. Turns on the moment i 'touch' the car, and stays on about 3 minutes after locking. As a turn-on lead, all you need is 1A fuse.
I'm in the middle of this project right now myself.

Can you repost your picture of the fuse location or PM it to me?

I checked this thread on 3 different devices and the pictures are not showing up for me.

I tried fuse #146, but it's weird. It turns on when I turn on the accessories/radio without starting the car, but once the car is running and I turn the car off it shuts off automatically, even though the audio is still playing. So every time I drive somewhere and then turn my car off I lose my subwoofer.

Would like to find the fuse like you that stays on for 3min after the car is turned off.
Appreciate 0