BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs. GT350 Owners Thread

03-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

M2 vs. GT350 Owners Thread

I know this comparison exists, but as the title states, I want 1st hand experience anecdotes, not you or car club buddy's opinion. Looking for people who have owned, or driven more than a test drive of one, or preferably both.

So I picked up my M2 about a month ago, and the first few drives were fantastic. But now I don't find myself looking onto my driveway with endearing eyes to a personified machine that I can't wait to take out. I've driven her hard on the streets as I am not one to (literally) pussyfoot (no disrespect if you can appreciate the car with out bouncing off the redline every other day), however the short term enjoyment has been replaced with impartiality. Which leads me to my next story.

My old man and I had the privilege of going to Nashville, renting the Shelby GTH Hertz car (really a re-branded 5.0), and doing life threatening, jail sentencing speeds through the road known as 'The Tail of the Dragon". Despite my disappointment in receiving a misleading 5.0, the car was utterly amazing. So much bottom end prowess is fantastic around the streets; the noise is dopamine relasing; the handling is amazing (no we did not crash); the cabin although not as good as the M2 for quality, was not far off. And to follow up with my last point, if you've ever driven a luxury car a step above an Acura, you'll instantly notice the lack of spending in the Beamer. Plus I can get the Shelby for $5000 Maple Bucks under MSRP; which leads me to my question...

How good really is this Shelby car?

It would only be a summer DD with the climate I'm blessed with, and i'm yearning for raw, unprotected emotion. I would rather have an E36 M3 if I could, right now, just for the visceral experience. If a bloody Mustang GT can make me look in the mirror and have an car identity crisis, I cannot dream of what the Shelby has to offer.

>inB4 your beloved Mustang memes you and your simpleminded bros get off to

Also, I did a whole write up on why I think the M2 is a special car, which it is. I'm just not sure if its right for me.
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Sounds like you answered your own dilemma.

Follow your heart. You seem the enjoy the pure raw element of the Shelby way more. I can tell the difference purely by the energy and passion with which your wrote your review.

Go with the Shelby!
      03-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

Reading this, it sounds like you should go for the Mustang. However that being said, you must be certain that the novelty doesn't wear off much like the M2 has for you currently.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Bedista
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

It looks like the shelby's voodoo engine has documented issues but not on M2. Am i correct? Also, I seem to notice there's a lot more GT350 on the market including used one than M2. Maybe that is an indication of something??
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I've owned more than 40 cars, and the Shelby GT350 was absolutely the worst one. (Actually, that was the second one I ordered, because I refused delivery on the first one that needed to be repainted because the quality was so bad - and had to have a window pulled and replaced because the weatherstripping was installed inside out.)

Ford got me a replacement, but the paint on the second one came off the passenger door the first time I washed it. Then there was the overall awful construction quality everywhere else. And the recall where the car had to sit for 6 months because Ford couldn't get the recalled oil line replaced (and the risk of an engine fire was high). Then there are the limp mode problems, where the computer shut down after 10 minutes on a track day because the transmission in "the most track capable Mustang ever" overheats.

The things the M2 can't match are the GT 350's rowdiness, 8,000-rpm redline and the button for the open exhaust that will send your neighbors' annoying barking dogs running for cover. I never put my GT 350 on the track, because I was afraid of a catastrophic failure that would seriously hurt me - a feeling I never got in a variety of vehicles I ran as a licensed racer.

The GT 350 is all hype and no quality. Save your money - or you'll lose a bunch when you get fed up with it and sell it later. Carroll Shelby is spinning in his grave.

Buy a Corvette instead.
Appreciate 2
termigni1080.00
      08-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Only the base and "Tech" package 2015-2016 GT350s don't have the diff and trans coolers, because Ford was trying to offer the 350 for less and more specialized for the needs of the customer (and a sub $50K option to have a 525hp stripper car). Unfortunately people bought and tracked "tech" packages rather than buying the "track" package with the coolers, thus all 2017s have coolers to make it fool-proof for the customer at a higher base price.

The GT350s at the Ford Performance Racing School in Utah are proving to be very reliable despite the altitude and very hard living conditions the cars face when so many people best the crap out of them on a daily basis.

Spa's experience sounds like either a rare occurrence, or completely blown out of proportion.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #7
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

There is no one who was a bigger cheerleader for the GT 350 than me. I am a huge fan of Carroll Shelby, and I really wanted to own a GT 350 because it was the last production vehicle he had anything to do with. I talked at length with Ford employees about the car. (Did you know Carroll Shelby proposed using volcanic lava as the base material for the brake pads?) I attended a special Ford track event where I was allowed to drive a preproduction prototype without restriction. I delivered my deposit for the first GT 350 within 5 minutes of the ordering guide being released to dealers - a long time before orders would be accepted by Ford. I bought the special tools to work on the car. I am aware of every variance in production and every problem the first 2 model years (and their equipment variations) experienced - and how Ford responded to them. Even now, I believe the Tech Package owners who intended to take the car to the track made a mistake in buying the car; clearly it didn't have the equipment to make the Tech track-worthy, but they bought the car anyway because it was the only model available.

In short, I was looking forward to having a GT 350 in my collection forever, taking it to car shows and participating in Shelby events across the country. Unfortunately, the reality of ownership was an experience no one should have to endure, so I sold the second one. I still have a closetful of memorabilia.

I have previously refrained from posting about the GT 350 here, because I didn't want to post page upon page of negativity. But when I saw the same wild-eyed enthusiasm from the OP that I once experienced, I couldn't help but jump in. Be careful, especially if you're buying used. Of course, there are owners who love their GT 350s - but I wasn't one of them. As always, YMMV.
Appreciate 2
termigni1080.00
      08-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Im sorry you had such a bad experience but indeed it's a rare occurrence Your scare tactics, or exaggerated worries aren't founded. I'm not sure about the paint issues but the oil line concern only affected 2016 cars and I believe only 1 car had a catastrophic failure from it in a 350R. The owner wasn't injured and Ford bought that guy a brand new 350R.

Any real car guy, especially a track rat, should understand the importance of oil cooler and the fact that a "track pack" is available for the car. It's unfortunate those who are not knowledge about cars who bought base or tech packages and tracked their car and saw limp mode, but any car guy on a forum should know better to buy a track package if they plan on tracking the car.

There are thousands of 350s that are running around on tracks without problems. I was at a Shelby event in Sonoma and there were over 11 350Rs and countless more 350s all on track and having a blast. I'm sorry your over reaction of rare issues influenced the sale of your 350, in which case I would not recommend owning an S65 powered E9X M3.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

I guess I'll just acknowledge your exaggeration in the opposite direction as a non-owner and agree to disagree. I'm not trying to scare anyone - just report my personal experiences and expectations for an almost $60K car - which is what this forum is all about. Your opinions don't negate my experiences. There are many stories of GT 350 problems from unhappy owners that are not track related. Does the GT 350 have its virtues? Of course. Does it ooze sex at 8,000 rpm, screaming into a turn? Absolutely. But basing your opinion on what you've seen at the track only represents a small part of the picture. If track use was my primary objective, which it wasn't, I might have worried a little less about the quality lapses.

You'll be interested to know that the lure of owning a Shelby was so strong I actually thought about playing the odds and ordering a third GT 350 (an '18), but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it. Underneath, it's still a $20K rental car, and that's where the problems start - same production line and same quality standards. I'm happy I ordered an M2 instead.

I've said what I wanted to say here. But before I check out of this thread, have a look at this GT 350's paint booger (one of several), the overly thick paint on the leading edge of the hood and the waviness of the sheetmetal on both sides of the hood shut line. That's not quality I could live with. Of course, not all GT 350s suffered problems like this, but way too large a number did. Would you take delivery of a car that needed bodywork and half the body repainted? You're obviously a thoughtful person, so I'm guessing the answer is, "No."

Appreciate 1
      08-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

I wouldnt find that paint defect acceptable either, but having been around thousands of mustangs, those paint bubbles aren't common and I wouldn't take delivery of the car either.

That "rental car" actually starts at $25K and is currently the best selling sports car in the world. The M2 starts at $33K 320i as the cheapest car BMW makes. Who cares. Both the M2 and GT350 are the ultimate versions of each platform. The M2 is a great car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
Who cares. Both the M2 and GT350 are the ultimate versions of each platform. The M2 is a great car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
interesting that I'm reading this now. My brother is in a car buying mode so I started to look into GT350 for him yesterday. within 2 minutes of researching, the paint issue on GT350 came up. This guy on youtube is a hardcore mustang fan but he had to return his GT350 because he couldn't stand the paint defect on the door. I thought it was only this guy but now it seems like there are plenty.

funny I just told my brother to look at GT350 this morning. now I have to retract. no one wants to respray a brand new $60k car no matter how good it drives. wait there are issues with this car mechanically? bummer...

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2017, 02:06 AM   #13
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Type R

That, and a lot of people really aren't impressed with the GT350's delivery of speed. This isn't coming from a BMW fan, but someone who is around the Mustang forums quite frequently. A lot of them say you really don't feel the added speed, but more so the handling. I think that's a bit underwhelming.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I just drove a GT350 yesterday and while its engine/exhaust was mega, I was put off the the lack-of-quality. This one was pre-owned but still a $50k car.. the quality nuggets are too great for me to spend that kind of money on for a DD; if this were a 2nd or 3rd car to take out on weekends/track it would absolutely get a hard consideration from me.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #15
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I just drove a GT350 yesterday and while its engine/exhaust was mega, I was put off the the lack-of-quality. This one was pre-owned but still a $50k car.. the quality nuggets are too great for me to spend that kind of money on for a DD; if this were a 2nd or 3rd car to take out on weekends/track it would absolutely get a hard consideration from me.
You have a Cayman, that'd be a drastic step back in my opinion.

The finishes and touches in the GT350 aren't much different than the one in my current GT. I've sat in a Cayman, and NIGHT and DAY difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #16
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

First I'm an M2 fan. Just had one.

Went to Buttonwillow today in my GT350R but I took off the stock wheels and tires. Ran a much heavier aftermarket wheel and PS4s (pilot sport 4) tires opposed to the stock carbon wheels on Cup2 tires. So closer to regular 350 times probably

Ran 1:58:7
M2 stock ran 2:00:4
Modded with KW CS/Pads/Re71R - 1:57:2
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #17
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Well I finally got to test drive a GT350, and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I didn't totally bag it, but full throttle up to 6500 rpm and it felt just as fast as the M2. The steering was not bad, but still I think the M2's was superior. I like the interior of the Shelby, it just feels fun to be in. Low maintenance, cool riding position, the aura of immaturity and unsophistication... quite different than the M2

Everyone is going to remember the GT350 for the engine, and the exhaust. But I won't. I thought the car sounded surprisingly un-charismatic. I would put it behind the 5.0 mustang, and the E92 M3 (both with exhausts ofc) for V8 sounds. I guess my expectations were too high. My immediate thought was I would just rather find a nice E92 M3 than buy this thing. They felt just as fast power wise.

The GT350 transmission feels like a bolt action rifle, which this is the biggest thing I thought it had over the M2.

Yes the Shelby has better brakes, but as the M2s are more than adequate for the street, this doesn't really bother me.

After leaving the dealership I was quite happy to hop back in my BMW. Although the Mustang quality is not terrible, and the M2 is far from plush; you get used to a certain level of standards. It really made me appreciate the small nature of the 2 series. I grew up in a Ford family, but I think I have defected to ze Germans. I think I will only buy domestic for pickups, or perhaps the GT500 when it comes out.

So in conclusion, would I trade my car in for the GT350? Only if they paid me the MSRP of my car
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #18
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
Well I finally got to test drive a GT350, and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I didn't totally bag it, but full throttle up to 6500 rpm and it felt just as fast as the M2. The steering was not bad, but still I think the M2's was superior. I like the interior of the Shelby, it just feels fun to be in. Low maintenance, cool riding position, the aura of immaturity and unsophistication... quite different than the M2

Everyone is going to remember the GT350 for the engine, and the exhaust. But I won't. I thought the car sounded surprisingly un-charismatic. I would put it behind the 5.0 mustang, and the E92 M3 (both with exhausts ofc) for V8 sounds. I guess my expectations were too high. My immediate thought was I would just rather find a nice E92 M3 than buy this thing. They felt just as fast power wise.

The GT350 transmission feels like a bolt action rifle, which this is the biggest thing I thought it had over the M2.

Yes the Shelby has better brakes, but as the M2s are more than adequate for the street, this doesn't really bother me.

After leaving the dealership I was quite happy to hop back in my BMW. Although the Mustang quality is not terrible, and the M2 is far from plush; you get used to a certain level of standards. It really made me appreciate the small nature of the 2 series. I grew up in a Ford family, but I think I have defected to ze Germans. I think I will only buy domestic for pickups, or perhaps the GT500 when it comes out.

So in conclusion, would I trade my car in for the GT350? Only if they paid me the MSRP of my car
6500 rpm really . Too afraid to feel how much faster than the M2 it was lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #19
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Having owned one, I can tell you there's a lot more on the way to the 8250 redline. But the car is so poorly built I'm thrilled it's gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Is this some sort of incoherent insult? I know there are many ESL users on this forum, but when you say "6500 rpm really . ", you make it incredibly difficult for other members to try and figure out what you're trying to say.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #21
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Having owned one, I can tell you there's a lot more on the way to the 8250 redline. But the car is so poorly built I'm thrilled it's gone.
I'm sure there is, just as in the E92. However unlike the E92 the CQ is horrendous. The novelty of a GT350R would be enough to compensate for this, but when both my dealers have +10 unsold 17' GT350s, you may start to wonder if change is necessary. I think Ford needs to take a look at the C7 for what would be the minimum on cars at this price level.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Is this some sort of incoherent insult? I know there are many ESL users on this forum, but when you say "6500 rpm really . ", you make it incredibly difficult for other members to try and figure out what you're trying to say.
Someone was comparing the acceleration of the 350 to the M2 after only taking it to 6500 rpm which is short of its peak tq much less it's peak HP as it's redline is 8250 rpm . Kind of hard to judge the cars acceleration in that circumstance....
Appreciate 0