BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery AARP discount

02-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
JermieX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 50i, 2011 550xi

AARP discount

Anyone heard of the incentive of up to $2,500 for AARP members? Does this stack with corporate fleet and ski sweepstake?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermieX6 View Post
Anyone heard of the incentive of up to $2,500 for AARP members? Does this stack with corporate fleet and ski sweepstake?
I am guessing it's a Truecar kind deal, it's definitely not a BMW program.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
54Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Based on a thread on the "other" site it seems this discount is very real and very good.

The Sales Manager I spoke with earlier today about my deal asked me how old I was and I said "Don't even think about it... I'm not eligible". (I'm 48)

Well, I just payed $12 online and printed my brand new AARP Membership Card with Member #. Nothing shady about it.

If it does what they say ($1500 off + a .0002 MF reduction), I stand to see my $650 down payment eliminated and a $34 a month payment reduction as far as Leasematic is concerned.

Note that this includes the fact I am expecting to lose the $500 USAA credit I already told them about.

Will let you know what transpires Monday. See you at church tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
nil1
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Me View Post
Will let you know what transpires Monday. See you at church tomorrow
So how'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:35 AM   #5
54Me
Private First Class
Rep

I didn't get 100% of what I thought it would do for me and had to catch a flight this morning, but the deal is real and you just have to sign up for AARP, pay the $12 and print the membership card. Well worth the investment in any scenario

On the paper they showed me it reduced the price of the car by an additional $1,000 (I already had $500 USAA applied and they don't work together), which makes sense and so it reduced my payment per month by $28 or so.

I need to call them back when I have time and confirm that it did not affect the money factor because I still have to pay the $650 cash. The .0002 I expected would have killed that plus reduced the payment a little further as far as I can tell.

Maybe someone else who is better than me at this will try it and confirm the money factor discount, but if there is one then my dealer appears to be attempting to keep it at the moment. Is that "wrong" or just something they typically will try to do and I need to learn to negotiate all of the numbers?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
nil1
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
I didn't get 100% of what I thought it would do for me and had to catch a flight this morning, but the deal is real and you just have to sign up for AARP, pay the $12 and print the membership card. Well worth the investment in any scenario

On the paper they showed me it reduced the price of the car by an additional $1,000 (I already had $500 USAA applied and they don't work together), which makes sense and so it reduced my payment per month by $28 or so.

I need to call them back when I have time and confirm that it did not affect the money factor because I still have to pay the $650 cash. The .0002 I expected would have killed that plus reduced the payment a little further as far as I can tell.

Maybe someone else who is better than me at this will try it and confirm the money factor discount, but if there is one then my dealer appears to be attempting to keep it at the moment. Is that "wrong" or just something they typically will try to do and I need to learn to negotiate all of the numbers?

Thanks.
AARP is handled as corporate fleet so you should have gotten the MF discount. See the attached PDFs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
54Me
Private First Class
Rep

At this point I can clearly see that after applying the AARP my reduction was only equal to the exact amount of the base discount.
I plan to bring it up with them, but does anyone know if these types of MF discounts/savings affect the dealer's end at all? I ask because we have been negotiating for some time and I'm fairly happy with it now.
If giving me the MF discount now only comes out of BMW, and the dealer/CA is not affected, it makes no sense for me not to push for it. If it DOES take away from dealer/CA what I have already negotiated in good faith then I may be more inclined to let it go.
I'd obviously love the additional savings for myself, but I'm one who believes that if all was done on a level field they should get paid for doing their jobs as well...

The other angle, however, is if they knew about the MF discount and didn't tell me, and can somehow apply it for their own advantage without it showing in any of the published numbers, that's unfair dealing in my book.

Ugh this process is maddening... lucky are the ones with cash to spare to pay in cash.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
G30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xdrive

Quote:
At this point I can clearly see that after applying the AARP my reduction was only equal to the exact amount of the base discount.
I plan to bring it up with them, but does anyone know if these types of MF discounts/savings affect the dealer's end at all? I ask because we have been negotiating for some time and I'm fairly happy with it now.
If giving me the MF discount now only comes out of BMW, and the dealer/CA is not affected, it makes no sense for me not to push for it. If it DOES take away from dealer/CA what I have already negotiated in good faith then I may be more inclined to let it go.
I'd obviously love the additional savings for myself, but I'm one who believes that if all was done on a level field they should get paid for doing their jobs as well...

The other angle, however, is if they knew about the MF discount and didn't tell me, and can somehow apply it for their own advantage without it showing in any of the published numbers, that's unfair dealing in my book.

Ugh this process is maddening... lucky are the ones with cash to spare to pay in cash.
I am on the same boat as you, I have a good price after a lot of talk and I noticed that next month I will be attending BMW NA car event and they will give discounts on new builds as usual.
I will most likely call BMW NA this weekend and see if we can apply incentives on cars already in the build process.

Called BMW NA and once your car is ordered and goes into production no incentive can be added to lower the price of your car.

Last edited by G30; 03-30-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0