BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #1
GobaS
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2009 M3, 2005 M3

Lightbulb what does EDC do??

pls help me out coz i dont want to waste $2000 CDN for it..

coz im getting AW FR MDrive Packages,M-DCT and 19inchs rims thats about it....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #2
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GobaS View Post
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

With Electronic Damping Control(EDC), you can set damper settings to one of three levels - Comfort, Normal or Sport.

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #4
GobaS
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2009 M3, 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeM3 View Post
With Electronic Damping Control(EDC), you can set damper settings to one of three levels - Comfort, Normal or Sport.
sweet thx

then ill get one of this
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Here's what I wrote in another post, a little more technical :

the point that should be made is that EDC is dynamic and constantly changing the compression and rebound settings of the dampers. A non-EDC car has dampers that have fixed compression and rebound settings. This is why you would buy EDC, and accordingly one really shouldn't be trying to compare the performance of an EDC car with that of one without - they are two different animals in a sense.

There are not 3 distinct compression/rebound settings for the dampers because there are 3 "modes" in EDC, which I would guess some people might think as well (I think there are other car systems out there like that).

As I understand it :
1) Normal mode means that EDC is doing it's "regular" thing of automatically and constantly adjusting the dampers according to your driving style, cornering, braking, road surface, etc. - this of course means that there is no fixed settings to compare with a non-EDC car.
2) Sport mode is limiting them always to a certain specified range of travel which results in a stiffer ride because they are not moving up and down as much - this would relate most closely to a non-EDC car, though I guess only BMW engineers and aftermarket suspension tuners would really know.
3) Comfort mode (which I agree may be more of a marketing thing) supposedly allows the dampers to have a lot of freedom in their travel, but calls them to attention at certain times (which to me sounds pretty much like the Normal mode) but I'm assuming is a little more lenient.

Here are two good links on it -
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...damper_control

http://www.bmwheaven.com/content/view/136/5/1/3/
Appreciate 0