THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Speed Ventures

02-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Speed Ventures

So Speed Ventures is going to hold an event in April at COTA. I know this is a California based company so Im not familiar with them. I get nervous about running with a new group because i don't wanna put my car or myself in danger because of reckless drivers.

The Texas run groups are pretty good, organized and don't really mess with crazy drivers. And the 99% of the drivers are super courteous here

Anyone have experience with this group? How many sessions do they run per day, are they organized, flaggers do their job, classroom sessions, etc

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 03:45 AM   #2
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodNIGHT View Post
So Speed Ventures is going to hold an event in April at COTA. I know this is a California based company so Im not familiar with them. I get nervous about running with a new group because i don't wanna put my car or myself in danger because of reckless drivers.

The Texas run groups are pretty good, organized and don't really mess with crazy drivers. And the 99% of the drivers are super courteous here

Anyone have experience with this group? How many sessions do they run per day, are they organized, flaggers do their job, classroom sessions, etc

Thanks in advance
Ive been to 1 of their events once and it was pretty chill honestly. Granted on the way there they did do some highway pulls. Im cool with it but idk if you would consider that very reckless lol
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 1
goodNIGHT106.50
      02-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I've done plenty of track days with that organization. Very legit and professional.

The quality of the drivers depends on the drivers in your area and those that attend. SV will do their best to move people around to different groups based on driver level, but when you register it's up to the driver to pick the correct group.

Are you sure COTA doesn't supply the corner workers?

SV usually has classroom sessions and provides instructors. Expect 4-5 20min sessions like most other organizers.

We have tons of track day organizers out here in SoCal and SV is at the top of my list.

Few months ago I was with a different group and we had winds at the track. Wind took one of the organizers tents and planted it on the hood of my car. Dented the hood pretty bad. Organizer should have secured the tent....
Appreciate 1
goodNIGHT106.50
      02-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post

We have tons of track day organizers out here in SoCal and SV is at the top of my list.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Im gonna go ahead and book a session

Sry to hear about the hood. Hope that got sorted out
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I've done plenty of track days with that organization. Very legit and professional.

The quality of the drivers depends on the drivers in your area and those that attend. SV will do their best to move people around to different groups based on driver level, but when you register it's up to the driver to pick the correct group.

Are you sure COTA doesn't supply the corner workers?

SV usually has classroom sessions and provides instructors. Expect 4-5 20min sessions like most other organizers.

Few months ago I was with a different group and we had winds at the track. Wind took one of the organizers tents and planted it on the hood of my car. Dented the hood pretty bad. Organizer should have secured the tent....
Cota def. provides corner workers. It s included when you rent the track. Plus f1 track so runoff is ridiculous. Last place I would be worried about not having an exit.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
geonutt
Rep

I might just add, while COTA is normally expensive, if I read it right their prices are insane ($600/day)! If it is your first time there I would shop around before signing up with them first... plenty of clubs drive there at about 2/3 to almost 1/2 of what they are charging... that said turns 2-10 and 12-19 are a blast! The rest is hp dependent. But then again who knows maybe prices went up to help pay for the wall in 2017.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep

This will be my fourth time at COTA and maybe last time. I've had to pay ~ 500 each time. its definitely a place where's boys with more expensive toys come out: semi trailers, Porsche cup cars, Ferrari challenge cars, McLaren's, m4 GTS, etc. lots of eye candy anyway, i might be moving to California soon so I thought this is a great opportunity to see what my future hpde group might be like.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodNIGHT View Post
This will be my fourth time at COTA and maybe last time. I've had to pay ~ 500 each time. its definitely a place where's boys with more expensive toys come out: semi trailers, Porsche cup cars, Ferrari challenge cars, McLaren's, m4 GTS, etc. lots of eye candy anyway, i might be moving to California soon so I thought this is a great opportunity to see what my future hpde group might be like.
Sounds like a good oppurtunity to beat up on some high end cars
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geonutt View Post
I might just add, while COTA is normally expensive, if I read it right their prices are insane ($600/day)! If it is your first time there I would shop around before signing up with them first... plenty of clubs drive there at about 2/3 to almost 1/2 of what they are charging... that said turns 2-10 and 12-19 are a blast! The rest is hp dependent. But then again who knows maybe prices went up to help pay for the wall in 2017.
We paid over 30k for a weekend, that was racing, w simple insurance and considered a pretty good deal. Open lapping, hpde all have diff price structures, need different workers insurance ext. f1 tracks are the least dangerous, old road courses, (sebring, glen, road atl) eat a lot of cars. Driving 130 on a track designed for 200 plus lots of margin. People like to run cota for hpde, it's a name everyone knows, like Daytona and they can get some office water cooler Cred. On Monday. Yes there are always the guys who bring race support to the hpde.
Appreciate 0