F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPE without tips
GetBMWParts

02-01-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

How bad does the MPE look without tips? Are these absolutely necessary? Does anyone have any pictures of it mounted without tips that they could share I couldn't find any online. Is it ABSOLUTELY worth spending a few hundred dollars? Obviously if it ruins the appearance of the whole rear end of the car it is. Just trying to find an excuse to convince myself to buy the eBay $850 MPE and not to buy the tips as well, which would bring my total to over $1k just for an axleback exhaust. That's next to nothing in terms of power gains, like single digit horsepower, so you're pretty much dropping a grand to make your car sound good. Which is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

We are getting robbed blind on these exhaust systems for our cars. Manufacturers just know people will pay for them, even though their profit margins have to be well over 50%. More like 75% for aftermarket vendors. I've modded several cars before and never once spent over $1200 on a full catback exhaust, let alone an axleback only. Granted, this is my first luxury car. I guess that's what I get for stepping up my level in cars.
      02-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Buy the tips.
      02-01-2017, 02:44 AM   #3
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Buy the tips.
I might just buy the MPE and make a game time decision once it comes. Worst case scenario if I'm still feeling cheap I can get universal 2.5" inlet to 3.5" outlet (or whatever outlet) exhaust tips. At the end of the day, piping is piping, and anything could fit as long as the inlet size matches. Doesn't have to be M performance OEM tips. They can go for as cheap as $20 each online. As long as they fit, I'd feel much better spending 50 bucks on tips rather than $200+ just to have the "M" badge on them...
      02-01-2017, 03:28 AM   #4
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Buy the tips.
I might just buy the MPE and make a game time decision once it comes. Worst case scenario if I'm still feeling cheap I can get universal 2.5" inlet to 3.5" outlet (or whatever outlet) exhaust tips. At the end of the day, piping is piping, and anything could fit as long as the inlet size matches. Doesn't have to be M performance OEM tips. They can go for as cheap as $20 each online. As long as they fit, I'd feel much better spending 50 bucks on tips rather than $200+ just to have the "M" badge on them...
Please link me to where you got the prices for those tips. The cheapest I've found were eBay ones for $75 each, so having that OEM calmness would be worth it for $50 extra

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Buy the exhaust tips! Pay 200 or take a risk to see if Non branded tips will fit. It will look terrible without the finishers
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Buy the exhaust tips! Pay 200 or take a risk to see if Non branded tips will fit. It will look terrible without the finishers
Alright... I already knew they were gonna have me bent over. Just didn't want my cheeks spread open as well.
      02-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #7
dlcpedro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

I literally bought 3 different tips. To see which match better. Because imo i hate the mpe tips with the m logo. I feel the look cheap and small. This is what i went with dry carbon tips i did spent 200 on them but im really happy with the results. Just fyi outlet mpe is 2.67 and then turns into 2.5. So cutting and welding will be necessary for a flush and clean look. No one makes a 2.67 which is 68 mm inlet tip. Only bmw and im guessing the whole thing behind this is so you have to get theirs. I recommend you spend so money on the tips. Since you're driving a 60k why bother modifying if u cant afford it. Another thing the mpe without a midpipe doesnt sound that agressive. The difference between oe and mpe is very little so i would think on getting a midpipe too.
Attached Images

09 E90 335i xDrive - Alpine white
07 E90 328xi - Sparkling graphite m
Appreciate 1
KD0752.50
      02-03-2017, 02:03 AM   #8
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcpedro View Post
I literally bought 3 different tips. To see which match better. Because imo i hate the mpe tips with the m logo. I feel the look cheap and small. This is what i went with dry carbon tips i did spent 200 on them but im really happy with the results. Just fyi outlet mpe is 2.67 and then turns into 2.5. So cutting and welding will be necessary for a flush and clean look. No one makes a 2.67 which is 68 mm inlet tip. Only bmw and im guessing the whole thing behind this is so you have to get theirs. I recommend you spend so money on the tips. Since you're driving a 60k why bother modifying if u cant afford it. Another thing the mpe without a midpipe doesnt sound that agressive. The difference between oe and mpe is very little so i would think on getting a midpipe too.
Thanks for the input. I already have the Dinan midpipes, sitting in my garage as we speak. Was planning on just bolting it up to my OEM axleback exhaust, but found out shortly after buying them that the OEM exhaust is all one piece so that would require cutting it. My car is leased so this is not an option, hence my pursuit for an axleback exhaust in order to keep my OEM exhaust in one piece for the lease return. Just was trying to avoid dropping close to $2k on only a catback exhaust but that seems inevitable at this point if I want to use the midpipes. That's my fault though for not doing the homework and proper research before placing the order.

Been trying to find a buyer for the midpipes in order to get my money back and not be a total loss on my end. If I'm going to lose $100 or even more on these midpipes without even getting to install them I'd rather just bite the bullet and buy the $850 MPE on eBay or a used axleback off someone and be able to use the midpipes. But if I can get back what I paid for the midpipes I'd just keep the OEM catback and buy a catless downpipe for $400 or less and call it a day. But that would be in a perfect world...
      02-03-2017, 02:33 AM   #9
dlcpedro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Idk how flexible your dealership is but i cut mine in 3 different pieces and im leasing too. I had the guys cut it where there is welding and where the puncture is where u are supposed to put the mpe. To my understanding it does not matter as long is a clean job afterwards and working properly. My brother in fact works at a bmw dealer and told me they dont even lift the car after a lease return. The mpe is oe and you could use this and not void warranty and there is cutting involve even if they install it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:37 AM   #10
dlcpedro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention you re most likely voiding warranty doing downpipes. Than the exhaust. Downpipes will throw a check engine light. Any trouble related with them. My void your warranty. I know many people running them in m5s and m3s no issues so far and they clear the codes with the tune before going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:51 AM   #11
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcpedro View Post
Forgot to mention you re most likely voiding warranty doing downpipes. Than the exhaust. Downpipes will throw a check engine light. Any trouble related with them. My void your warranty. I know many people running them in m5s and m3s no issues so far and they clear the codes with the tune before going to the dealer.
I have the JB4 so no worries with the CEL. Also, not worried about voiding the warranty as I would be doing all the work myself. As annoying as it may sound to some, giving an hour or 2 every 10k miles, for an oil change or other service, to bolt back up the stock downpipe wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't let the dealer see anything aftermarket installed. So far all I have is BMS intake and jb4, which is 20-30 min tops before and after each dealer visit. Adding a downpipe in the mix I would probably count on about 2 hours each, before and after service.

As for cutting the exhaust, you're now the 2nd person that has told me it would probably be fine to do even though it is leased. I am highly considering doing it now, just a matter of getting a tool to cut it, as well as getting my hands on the clamp needed to bolt up midpipes to the axleback. Best I could find is about $80 online. I think the website was getbmwparts.com or something like that, sells all OEM BMW parts.