BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 or Cayman GTS

01-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

M2 or Cayman GTS

Hi Guys, the question is simple, i myself have said there is nothing i would trade the M2 for right now, its perfect.

however should a Cayman GTS in Guard Red come available somewhere in europe ( when i say available i mean at price i can afford ) i would seriously be tempted, i myself have never had the opportunity to drive a Porsche and i have been told once you drive one theres no going back, so tomorrow i arranged a test drive here in Prague of a Boxster S which essentially is the same platform.

Would you trade the M2 for a Cayman GTS?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I don't own either but yes...
      01-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Coincidentally, a friend here in Canada actually just ordered a Cayman S today. He loaded it up with some sports options like PASM and PTV but otherwise was kitted out with similar level of stuff to the way the M2 comes and was 60% more cost. Even base it is 30% more and no one ever buys a Porsche base!

Still in the honeymoon phase with my M2 so can't really say I would switch. The Cayman is definitely a more no-compromises sports car. Though offhand I would say for the type of driving I would do 95% of the time, it would seem like not much return for the huge price hike.
Appreciate 2
ried790.50
      01-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
gulshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92-n54

Yes. Conventional wisdom says we think the M2 is perfect until you drive a 981 Cayman S/gts or hear the exhaust note of an Aston Martin..981 Cayman S/gts over an M2 anytime..in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 1
Dave-A85.00
      01-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Bluenose-2er kind of nails it...

For the money, I can't think of a better can than the M2. IF the M2 was $70K, I do not think I would love it as much as I do. I would like it for sure - but I would feel that I paid more than the car was worth. But man, at $55K, this car feels so right (and mind you, I came from a 103K 650xi - which while really really nice... was kind of a boat - a fancy boat, but still a boat).

End of the day, a $75K Cayman(is that what they go for? Or more?) probably drives and handles better than the M2 (ok, it does ), but I'm still not sure I could do it. I'm a BMW guy and if I'm going to go Porsche, it will be a 911.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulshan View Post
Yes. Conventional wisdom says we think the M2 is perfect until you drive a 981 Cayman S/gts or hear the exhaust note of an Aston Martin..981 Cayman S/gts over an M2 anytime..in a heartbeat.
Ive had two Boxsters in my life and drove many many miles. They are great sports cars. Not great daily drivers. Depends what you want. Im now addicted to low end torque and the M2 rips its tires down low with my setup.

Running over 400lbft to the wheels currently. A 981 wont give you any of that goodness as a street car. And I can fit my 8'0 surfboard in the car. So Im all set.
Appreciate 4
SoCalRob281.00
Aronis2261.00
kezm231.00
      01-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

I cross shopped a 981 S/GTS and M2. Ended up with an M2 because I wanted something a little more practical (DD) and wanted a new car (I was looking at used Caymans).
Cayman S/GTS is the better car though, I would do it depending on your needs
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Hi Guys, the question is simple, i myself have said there is nothing i would trade the M2 for right now, its perfect.

however should a Cayman GTS in Guard Red come available somewhere in europe ( when i say available i mean at price i can afford ) i would seriously be tempted, i myself have never had the opportunity to drive a Porsche and i have been told once you drive one theres no going back, so tomorrow i arranged a test drive here in Prague of a Boxster S which essentially is the same platform.

Would you trade the M2 for a Cayman GTS?
Enjoy your test drive. Are you considering trading on a new Porsche?

I would never trade an M2 under warranty for a Porsche that doesn't have a warranty.
Appreciate 2
Aronis2261.00
      01-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #9
dt34
Private
Rep
Drives: Maserati Gran Turismo MC, i3

Do you need back seats? How much track driving do you plan on doing? Both great cars I guess it depends on what you need out of the car.

Past: BMW E36 M3,BMW E92 M3,Audi RS5,
Lotus Exige S,Lotus Evora S
Appreciate 1
ried790.50
      01-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Enjoy your test drive. Are you considering trading on a new Porsche?

I would never trade an M2 under warranty for a Porsche that doesn't have a warranty.
Warranty is a little overrated in my opinion...on these cars at least. If the Porsche does not have any warranty anymore then it's used and cheaper then new..so you also save some money there.
      01-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

The Cayman GTS as my only car to use on a daily basis is a bit to unpractical for me. The M2 is not my only car (I also have a Z4M); but I could live with the M2 being my only car on a daily basis....with the 981 GTS this would be far more complicated for my purpose of the car. If I ever wanted to buy a Cayman then It would be as my second car and then I would go for a GT4 instead.

If I did not need the extra space (rear seats) and the bigger trunk; then a 981 GTS would be an awesome daily driver and given the choice (when money was not an issue) I would buy a 981 GTS as a daily. But even a used GTS is $13.000 more expensive the a new M2...for me a M2 is more value for money (it's my own money) and more practical then a GTS.

Last week I did a roadtrip to pick up a very nice GTS for a friend of mine. Great car en personally I don't get people who buy the terrible Cayman and Boxster with the new turbo engine when there are such nice, used 981 GTS examples on the market.
      01-28-2017, 04:19 AM   #12
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I'm 30 and had the same plan as you, was also looking at GTSs at mobile.de
I borrowed Cayman S for a week (as a DD and my only car going to and from work + a track day):
PROS:
- Sound - there is not much to add here, just awesome.
- Looks - everybody is noticing it, mine was white but GR is gonna be even more noticed, mostly kids pointing fingers and envious/happy people commenting
- Awesome mechanical even analogue sports car feeling
- Ride comfort - similar to my current GTI which was a surprise
- Great handling and balance on track
- Lot's of storage space with the frunk and trunk
- Good mileage
- Great interior despite outdated and irritating Nav system

CONS:
- In city DD if you want to hear the engine you almost don't leave 2nd gear which goes up to 70 MPH
- You can't exploit the handling performance in city driving
- In tight parking spaces I couldn't get into the car when somebody parked close to me (I'm 6'2 and the car is low so you need to have room to get down and slip in)
- On track brakes overheat quite fast due to lack of air ducts cooling them - can be retrofitted from 911
- A bit uncomfortable seats for me (too narrow in shoulder area) but got used to it after few days

I was really into it but when I got into M2 it gave me much more fun at much lower speeds and as I don't have great winding roads here to exploit it (only track) and would use it in DD running errands, I became a bit frustrated with the limitations. I also fear that after driving it every day it would loose the magical feeling it had when I first started driving it.
Having said that I'd still get it but as a second car with MT and X73 suspension for weekend/track use.
If you like getting lots of attention and don't mind limited fun in city driving - do it, nothing better out there in that price range.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50
kezm231.00
      01-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #13
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
I'm 30 and had the same plan as you, was also looking at GTSs at mobile.de
I borrowed Cayman S for a week (as a DD and my only car going to and from work + a track day):
PROS:
- Sound - there is not much to add here, just awesome.
- Looks - everybody is noticing it, mine was white but GR is gonna be even more noticed, mostly kids pointing fingers and envious/happy people commenting
- Awesome mechanical even analogue sports car feeling
- Ride comfort - similar to my current GTI which was a surprise
- Great handling and balance on track
- Lot's of storage space with the frunk and trunk
- Good mileage
- Great interior despite outdated and irritating Nav system

CONS:
- In city DD if you want to hear the engine you almost don't leave 2nd gear which goes up to 70 MPH
- You can't exploit the handling performance in city driving
- In tight parking spaces I couldn't get into the car when somebody parked close to me (I'm 6'2 and the car is low so you need to have room to get down and slip in)
- On track brakes overheat quite fast due to lack of air ducts cooling them - can be retrofitted from 911
- A bit uncomfortable seats for me (too narrow in shoulder area) but got used to it after few days

I was really into it but when I got into M2 it gave me much more fun at much lower speeds and as I don't have great winding roads here to exploit it (only track) and would use it in DD running errands, I became a bit frustrated with the limitations. I also fear that after driving it every day it would loose the magical feeling it had when I first started driving it.
Having said that I'd still get it but as a second car with MT and X73 suspension for weekend/track use.
If you like getting lots of attention and don't mind limited fun in city driving - do it, nothing better out there in that price range.

Yes i totally agree, from what i have read and watched the ratios are stupidly long when really in a car like that they should be shorter, also the back of the car just doesn't do it for me, the GTS is like a woman with huge boobs and no ass and a big ass is important, like with the GT4 the spoiler literally makes that car look awesome, i would use it as a DD but again only 2 seats and lack of boot space.

However the temptation of the naturally aspirated engine ( probably the last generation of Cayman to have one ) and the handling overrides all that, like you said in an ideal world i would have both. and saying that if the Cayman had the same body as the GT4 with the wing i'd take it, but it just looks too subtle to me like something is missing from it. but lastly i don't think there is a better sounding exhaust out there for this price range, on the overun the burbles are incredible.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Here is my YT clip from track day (It was a rental so I didn't push it too hard):
Appreciate 2
krizze924.00
ried790.50
      01-28-2017, 05:48 AM   #15
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Here is my YT clip from track day (It was a rental so I didn't push it too hard):
i just love how you took a rental to a track day please send me a link to this rental company !
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #16
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i just love how you took a rental to a track day please send me a link to this rental company !
In the T&C it was stated that the car can't take part in any timed racing activity, but I wasn't racing was I?
Appreciate 3
krizze924.00
kezm231.00
      01-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #17
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

I just finished my testdrive of the Boxtster S, an i am finding it hard to convince myself that the M2 is what i want instead of the Cayman Gts. oh dear what a first world problem this is

Last edited by krizze; 01-28-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bazgab132.00
      01-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
Nspin298
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY17 LBB DCT

If I didn't need two seats at back, price aside, I would get a Cayman for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTRS, M2CS

I find it more important to consider the final "planned" setup of either car when deciding. BMWs respond beautifully to engine modifications. For 2000$ anyone can do a catted DP, IC and something simple like a JB+ or JB4. Code out the active sound. End result is a devastatingly fast DD that sounds amazing and leaves plenty of cash leftover. I'm sure almost everyone here would take a GTS or the new 981S if it was close on price. I'm not as familiar with the P cars, but I don't think there's as much tune-ability in them. 420hp/450tq conservative tuned M2 wins every time in my book for a daily driver ///
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #20
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

They Cayman is an excellent car but this isn't a would you take one or the other debate because they are not in the same price class or vehicle type really. The M2 is about 20k or more less than the Cayman GTS which is not a insignificant amount. Also the M2 has a legit trunk with fold down seats and room for 4 people where the Cayman is a 2 seater without much room for anything else. Both are excellent but again this isn't an apples to apples debate. I chose the M2 for several reasons, some of which are listed above so for me the answer is no. If I were shopping for a third car for weekends and the price was the same or within a few percent then I might say Cayman GTS but none of that is reality for me so the M2 is a clear winner for me. In a few years when I am shopping for a third car and the Caymans have come down in value then I very well may be shopping for one for weekend/track use.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #21
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspin298 View Post
If I didn't need two seats at back, price aside, I would get a Cayman for sure.
+1

I needed a functional back seat for my child. Otherwise it probably would have been Cayman S for me over the M2 (and M3/4 was a distant 3rd for me).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #22
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

How is the GTS in 6 inches of Snow? I have to get to work in all weather!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0