BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Very interesting comparison of the M2 and Porsche Cayman S by racing driver

12-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Very interesting comparison of the M2 and Porsche Cayman S by racing driver

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
From the French website Caradisiac: http://www.caradisiac.com/comparatif...nce-111264.htm

Translated into English by yours truly. What's interesting about this comparison, done by former race driver Soheil Ayari (F3000 and Le Mans racer) is that the main criteria is driving pleasure...

Comparison - BMW M2 vs Porsche Cayman S: the race to excellence
By Olivier Pagès and Soheil Ayari.

When looking for a sports car with power close to 350 hp, the choice clearly goes with Porsche and BMW. Without going to their more extreme models, how do the smaller models of these two brands compare? The answer lies in this video comparison between the BMW M2 and Porsche Cayman S.

BMW and Porsche share many common features beyond their nationality. Both are synonymous with sportiness and handling and are therefore a dream for many motorists. If they have acquired such a reputation, it is not only because of the performance of their models but also their commitment to competition (F1, endurance, etc.), where they have demonstrated an undeniable know-how which also involves technical choices. Indeed, both have based their heritage on their 6 cylinders: flat for Porsche and inline for BMW. But the pollution standards have arrived and that has changed everything or almost at Porsche.

Thus, the Stuttgart-based brand has abandoned, on its entry-level models (Cayman and Boxster), its mythical flat 6, and replaced it with a four-cylinder, fortunately still flat. A real betrayal in the eyes of Porsche purists. They can console themselves in the fact that the turbocharged 4-cylinder is more powerful than the previous normally-aspirated 6. At BMW, it is the same case, but fortunately not for their most sporty models, which remain true to the inline 6. So, on the one hand we have 350 hp for the Cayman S and 370 hp for the M2. Performance is up to expectations with 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in respectively in 4.6 and 4.2 s.

If their engines are no longer comparable in their number of cylinders, it is nevertheless obvious that we are dealing with two race beasts. The most impressive looking is without doubt the M2, with its flared fenders, wide bumpers and four exhaust outlets. The car seems to be coming out of a weight room. On the other corner, the Cayman has a sleeker design, much less spectacular, but more Porsche traditional. In profile, the affiliation with the 911 is so obvious that people can sometimes confuse the 2. Anyway, hard not to fall for one of the two, provided of course one have the means.

Once this detail is taken care of, you are sure to have an amazing time on the track. But which one to choose to have the most fun? The answer lies with our race driver, Soheil Ayari, on the Ferté Gaucher circuit.

BMW M2 Porsche Cayman S
Power 370 hp 350 hp
Couple 500 Nm 420 Nm
Weight 1,595 kg 1,430 kg
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Pirelli PZero
Price (excluding options) 65 800 € 66,710 €
As tested price 68,500 € 108 584 €

We therefore asked our house pilot to judge these 2 models according to these 4 predefined criteria: engine, braking, handling and driving pleasure.

Engine
The first contact with the Porsche is a big disappointment. The legendary sound of the boxer 6 has disappeared to the dismay of the lovers of the brand, which includes our driver Soheil Ayari. The sound of the 4 cylinder is nice but it is very far from that of its predecessor. Some will even find similarities with the engine of some Subaru (logical because it is the same architecture). Nothing to say about the M2, it's just mesmerizing, even more when the tested model is equipped with the optional M Performance exhaust with Bluetooth control to open the valves. A pure pleasure. Even If one sets aside this criteria, however essential on a sports car, it is the engine of the M2 which ultimately proves to be the most pleasant thanks to its power (370 hp) and its higher torque (500 Nm against 420 Nm ). The Porsche engine just can't compete.

Ranking :
1st: BMW M2
2nd: Porsche Cayman S

Braking
The two cars simply have incredible brakes, mixing perfect power and endurance. A slight advantage to the Porsche because our test model was equipped with the optional carbon ceramic system (costing 7,380 €). Even without this option, Porsche's reputation in this domain is well established. So, the Cayman wins.

Ranking :
1st: Porsche Cayman S
2nd: BMW M2

Handling
These two rivals exhibit very distinct behaviors. Without electronic aids, the M2 proves to be particularly lively, agile, precise and rotates in a pocket handkerchief. There is a distinct difference with the M4 that is much less reactive. On the other hand, this demands attention from the driver because you have to be alert at the wheel. Once you have understood how it behaves, it's pure pleasure. As it is often the case with Porsche, and because of the fact that the engine is in a rear central position favorizing mass distribution, the balance of the Cayman S is simply perfect. This is reflected not only in its driving, where everything seems simple behind the wheel - much more than in the BMW - but also with lap times. The Cayman S is ahead in terms of dynamics, with a lap time of 1'55''22 while the M2 has to "be satisfied" with a 1'57''10, an excellent time but not as good as the Cayman's. However, everything is not perfect with the Porsche with its soft damping, making it more comfortable but therefore less radical than with the M2. The sensations are completely different: the M2 is firm and extremely well held in roll while the body movements are more marked in the Porsche.

BMW M2 Porsche Cayman S
Best lap time 1'57''10 1'55''29
0 to 100 km/h 4.3 s 4.6 s

Ranking :

Driving pleasure
In this field, for Soheil Ayari: "there is no photo". Large victory for the M2. The Porsche, because of its design, is extremely efficient but lacks fun. A bias probably due to the fact that the manufacturer wanted it accessible to everyone, hence a slight understeer setup. It's a shame, especially for this sporty S version, which should be more radical. Maybe a future GT4 is in the books?

Ranking :

CONCLUSION:
Even though these two cars are extremely powerful and seductive, the win goes to the BMW M2 because of its more playful and lively character but also of its more mesmerizing soundtrack. At a time when many manufacturers are abandoning their historical mechanics, we can only welcome the effort of the Munich firm to remain faithful to its inline 6. The last Cayman S is an extraordinary car but the leaving out the boxer 6 too much handling rigor makes it lose this duel.

Video Here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54...-cayman-s_auto

Last edited by Paul-Bracq-BMW; 12-21-2016 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 15
BFLY78.50
Seagull287.50
Dackelone10504.50
Bosozoku692.50
No Boost4019.00
1M Tex240.00
Kankles1484.50
Niko ZV118.00
Mark6657.50
Destroya371.00
mitoda66.50
M2BSM1789.00
      12-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Pretty much exactly what I expected.

The cayman R was the model most often compared in tests with the 1M - the Cayman S was simply not worthy !

I have always expected that a similar comparison 5 years later would be to compare a Cayman GTS with the M2.
Appreciate 3
1M Tex240.00
emesdub28.50
      12-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

This is interesting. I've read reviews that give more points to the superiority, or at least relative quickness, to the Cayman S on the track, and therefore to the car overall.
Appreciate 1
Sjholl3.00
      12-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I have always expected that a similar comparison 5 years later would be to compare a Cayman GTS with the M2.
If the M2 can hang with the likes of a 718 GTS (or even 981) costing in the neighborhood of $75k base, its status and reputation will be pretty epic.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      12-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Pretty much exactly what I expected.

The cayman R was the model most often compared in tests with the 1M - the Cayman S was simply not worthy !

A GTS costs as much as TWO M2's here in Canada ($100,000 + options vs $61,000 fully equipped), so I think I made the right choice.
Appreciate 8
      12-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I'd like to know what suspension options their Cayman had. I somehow doubt with the sportiest suspension options the 718S has more roll than the M2. The engine is a little worse and the tires equivalent, but the 718S is slaughtering the M2 and M3/M4 CP on laptimes so I really wonder...
Appreciate 2
M2 CSL446.50
      12-23-2016, 04:09 AM   #7
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Guys, go drive the 718 Cayman S and see for yourself... I did it and was blown away. The M2 is a great M car, but the 718 is one step above, handling, steering, traction. The engine is a piece of work too, it revs eagerly and builds the power to the redline much like a NA engine, it does not run out of puff at 5k rpm, it still builds power to the redline.

Now, if this will be your only car, and need the back seat and cargo space, then M2 is the car of choice, and a great one at that.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Guys, go drive the 718 Cayman S and see for yourself... I did it and was blown away. The M2 is a great M car, but the 718 is one step above, handling, steering, traction. The engine is a piece of work too, it revs eagerly and builds the power to the redline much like a NA engine, it does not run out of puff at 5k rpm, it still builds power to the redline.

Now, if this will be your only car, and need the back seat and cargo space, then M2 is the car of choice, and a great one at that.
The M2 does not "run out of puff" at 5 grand. Seat time, professional reviews and even graphs put the lie to that implication.

IMO, the two cars are aimed at different markets. A four seat coupe with a big trunk is just not the same gig as the 718. Love my own two-seat (practically speaking) Porsche, but I would not even think of cross-shopping it with an M2.
Appreciate 5
No Boost4019.00
DrKevM52258.50
      12-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
The M2 does not "run out of puff" at 5 grand. Seat time, professional reviews and even graphs put the lie to that implication.
Seriously, that previous comment bordelines on retardation. Lots of Monday morning quarterbacks out there giving unsubstantiated reviews.

Last edited by No Boost; 12-23-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

A new Cayman 718S starts at $66,300 with zero options, which is $100 more than a brand new M4. Both cars cost $15,000 more than an M2.
Appreciate 5
      12-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
135iDCT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I

the weight of the M2 is the same as the F30 335i in bmw global website and catalog 1595 kg.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
... the Stuttgart-based brand has abandoned [...] its mythical flat 6, and replaced it with a four-cylinder, fortunately still flat. A real betrayal in the eyes of Porsche purists.
"The only REAL Porsches are those with rear-engined air-cooled NA flat-4 boxer engines."
- Porsche 356 purists
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
It was done by everyday driver
      12-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #14
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I haven't driven the ///M2 but have heard great things about it.

I cannot forget the recent Cayman S I drove. It was such an intoxicating car that yelled in my ear the entire time to break the law

My only complaint was the same issue I had with the ///M4: good direct steering that lacks "feel." The previous cars transmitted every groove and pebble in the road surface to my finger tips and it was magical.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #15
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I love these kinds of reviews since they are done by an actual human being then some guy with an agenda. This guy has gone a long way to giving the m2 a good rep
      12-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #16
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Price point alone makes these two comparisons highly unlikely.
      12-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #17
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post

IMO, the two cars are aimed at different markets. A four seat coupe with a big trunk is just not the same gig as the 718. Love my own two-seat (practically speaking) Porsche, but I would not even think of cross-shopping it with an M2.
Bruce did you read the actual comment? He wasn't disparaging the M2 he was referring to the Cayman. He was stating that he was surprised that the car did not run out of breath above 5k as one might expect of a turbo four. That has nothing to do with the M2.

I have an M2 coming in a couple of months and am extremely excited about it. The blend of performance and practicality are ideal for me. I've never driven one but own several BMWs and am confident I'll love it based on strong reviews and the fact I don't give a damn about lap times.

That said I attended a track event for the launch of the 718 and it truly was fantastic. The steering was excellent as was the handling and the engine was indeed strong pulling hard to redline. The sound was good too and was loud inside the cabin. The trouble with the sound is it doesn't compare well at all to a flat six and therefore is dismissed outright by most people.

Either way I can't wait for my M2 to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #18
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Bruce did you read the actual comment? He wasn't disparaging the M2 he was referring to the Cayman. He was stating that he was surprised that the car did not run out of breath above 5k as one might expect of a turbo four. That has nothing to do with the M2.

I have an M2 coming in a couple of months and am extremely excited about it. The blend of performance and practicality are ideal for me. I've never driven one but own several BMWs and am confident I'll love it based on strong reviews and the fact I don't give a damn about lap times.

That said I attended a track event for the launch of the 718 and it truly was fantastic. The steering was excellent as was the handling and the engine was indeed strong pulling hard to redline. The sound was good too and was loud inside the cabin. The trouble with the sound is it doesn't compare well at all to a flat six and therefore is dismissed outright by most people.

Either way I can't wait for my M2 to arrive.
I did read it, and since the comment clearly began with a comparison of the the two cars, the implication, at least to me and it appears others, was that what followed was also a comparison. There is no reason a turbocharged flat 4 should "run out of puff" any more than any other turbo car. "Puff" up top depends on fueling and turbo sizing, no matter the number of cylinders or the design of the engine.

Only the poster knows for sure. But if he was referring to the M2, he certainly established he had never driven one.

I still believe that neither the price points nor the configuration of the cars themselves render this a very sensible comparison anyway. I own a turbocharged two seater Porsche, and this one even has a boxer 6, but that car and the M2 are just not playing in the same game. The 718 may be closer, because it is more modern and because in fact reviewers are attempting to squeeze them into the same game, but they really aren't. The Focus RS--to me, that is a far more valid comparison, even though the price delta is the other way around on that one...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 11:59 PM   #19
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl
Price point alone makes these two comparisons highly unlikely.
totally disagree... if you're looking for small and nimble, even if your budget is $100k, you're likely looking these two cars. some guys limiting themselves to $100k may spring ford the 991.2, but I bet the M2 does well in comparison to the 718S. I loves the box steel 718S when I first got it (chose it over Cayman GTS and 991.1 CS) but after a month or so of ownership, I decided it wasn't quite the feel I was going for. I wanted to try the M2 but couldn't find one and didn't feel like waiting so I jumped on a Camaro 1LE. yes. I essentially cross shopped the 718S, Camaro SS 1LE, GT350, and M2 & M3. this is a totally realistic comparison.

my take on the comparo:

what I gather is that the M2 is more fun because it is a little easier to get loose and enjoy. the 718S is just so buttoned down that it was impressive, but lacked a little excitement for me. also I got tired of the rag top and PDK pretty fast, and the power delivery is just very ... different, and not very exciting to me unless I was on the track, where it did great. I bet the M2 is more flickable, but less truly impressive., inside & out. mine had 20k in options which was nice but I'd never spec the car like that if I were to order it. .

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #20
matto6
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

M2 wins in handling and Cayman wins in braking?

Is everything else in the review backwards too?

Comparing to ceramic brakes was silly.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2261.00
      12-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #21
srleadjb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
I have an M2 and previously had an older Cayman S (987). The Cayman S was a go cart, much more precise and had a more sporty, stiffer feel. Low to the ground and no body lean at all but that car was underpowered. The last gen Cayman S was an amazing car (I have driven many) and IMO a better all around "sports car" than the M2 BUT the M2's engine, character, sound and overall driving experience is still superior to me. I just have so much fun in it. With the car in Sport+, the car is really dynamic, fast and has great balance on the limit of traction which makes it extremely fun to drive. And it is practical when you need it be.

I did cross shop these cars and the prices are no where near each other in reality. My M2 has every option (which there aren't many) and it was easily 20k less than a similarly equipped 718 S. Try configuring one on Porsches website, the base prices are not a reflection of what they actually cost.

I have to admit that I'am put off by the sound of the new 718 S. It might be ignorant of me but the idea of spending 85k on a Porsche and having a 4 cylinder bothers me. I'm not sure I even know why. Maybe I'm just getting old and still think more is better.....
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
They put a 4 cylinder in the boxter S? Wtf porsche? The world has gone mad
Appreciate 0