BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Drive a M4 and a M2 back to back

12-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #1
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I met one of my m4 buddies to check out his recently installed LED MP steering wheel, and took the opportunity to use his m4 for a 30KM city+highway trip.

The comparison between the duo was debated to death and I am familiar with both already. Drove m4 from time to time. But back to back driving them did make more accurate impression, though no instrumental tests were performed.

M2 is bone stock power wise, but M4 is fitted with the Akrapovic Catback, which removes the two cats in the mid pipe from stock system. Both cars are on stock tune.

In the city, either in sport or sport+, m2 throttle is more direct most of time because the torque down low always comes faster and even stronger than m4. M4 responds just fine to the slight gas input, but when you seriously get on gas, downshifting or not, it has a slight hesitation before starts to push, which is a turbo lag indication as we reckoned. As the Odo climbed to 80~100KPH, or from mid range in 3rd, M4 is noticeably stronger and starts to pull away from there.

I rarely drive any of my other cars than the m2 since I took delivery of it. The moment I got into m4 cabin, I instantly feel 1) luxurious 2) roomy. It has beautiful Merino leather covered on dash and door panel, compared to which, the m2 interior just feels plain cheap. And the M4 skeleton racing seat is nothing short of gorgeous, a couple notches above m2's Dakota leather ones, though the support and comfort they offered are identical. I really wish I could pay to have all those options.

When cars are on the move, they pushes (when under 80KPH I'd say), steers and brakes identically. Only M4 felt just a little bit too big and the existence of its rear is annoyingly noticeable, exactly the same as my 328i. M2 is clearly much more planted, nimble and confidence inspiring when accelerating, carrying speed in corner or changing lanes. M4's long rear is always struggling to keep pace with its front end.

Now the sound, m2 was supposed to demolish m4 in stock form, but not the one fitted with the finest aftermarket system. No doubt, Akrapovic M4 sings at a much higher pitch throughout the band and overall is a better sounding car than the stock m2, though to my surprise it doesn't burble & crackle at all, whichever mode you put it in. My buddy was super jealous when my m2, set to hidden mode or sport mode, burbled like a real beast.

At the end of the day, M2 is the clear winner by far in terms of "M"-ness and I don't think I am biased.

Last edited by SeanWRT; 12-16-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 8
brava09767.00
csbear1118.00
Prodigy.697.50
J.M262.50
Robin_NL8679.50
c63er876.00
R0ME0517.50
atxsk8r1568.50
      12-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Thanks for your take!

I'm still debating if I want the MPE or not. Maybe an Akra down the line?
Although my wife would more likely disagree with me getting the Akra later especially at the higher price point.

So most likely it will be MPE or stock exhaust in the end... The stock exhaust is really good itself as everyone says, so a tough decision...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
@SeanWRT While waiting for an allocation I test drove the M4.. felt nice when I got on the throttle heavy but while crusing it felt like a tank to me. Just felt huge.. when the test car M2 came in and I drove it it was night and day forme compared to the M4 and was immediately sold.

At least I felt the M2 fit exactly what I wanted, a fast, small and nimble car.
      12-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post
@SeanWRT While waiting for an allocation I test drove the M4.. felt nice when I got on the throttle heavy but while crusing it felt like a tank to me. Just felt huge.. when the test car M2 came in and I drove it it was night and day forme compared to the M4 and was immediately sold.

I wasn't lucky enough either to get to test drive a m2 when I was awaiting the allocation back in Apr. I was offered by my dealer a test drive of m4 and was told "I can feel it and m2 should be identical". I knew exactly what m4 felt like, because I drove my buddy's from time to time already. Though I didn't feel the same way about it as I do right now. I thought it was just great - pulls hard, steers good (compared to lesser 3/4er) and is close to E92 in terms of stiffness. Dealer didn't have a m235i test car, so I just gave deposit on a m2 without trying anything Turns out the best money I ever spent on cars.

Last edited by SeanWRT; 12-15-2016 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4151.50
      12-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Thanks for your take!

I'm still debating if I want the MPE or not. Maybe an Akra down the line?
Although my wife would more likely disagree with me getting the Akra later especially at the higher price point.

So most likely it will be MPE or stock exhaust in the end... The stock exhaust is really good itself as everyone says, so a tough decision...
Just to be clear, it was my buddy's m4 that's with Akrapovic.

I already ordered MPE, will have it installed in early Jan. To have this best sounding system in the market (most would agree), I am risking having 3K drone and cold start vibrating issues. Let's pray that don't happen

Akrapovic is Akrapovic, quality second to none. It's free of drone as reported and offers amazing sounding as well (have to say need a Downpipe to guarantee satisfaction). It's the safest choice.
      12-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post

I wasn't lucky enough either to get to test drive a m2 when I was awaiting the allocation back in Apr. I was offered by my dealer a test drive of m4 and was told "I can feel it and m2 should be identical". I knew exactly what m4 felt like, because I drove my buddy's from time to time already. Though I didn't feel the same way about it as I do right now. I thought it was just great - pulls hard, steers good (compared to lesser 3/4er) and is close to E92 in terms of stiffness. Dealer didn't have a m235i test car, so I just gave deposit on a m2 without trying anything Turns out the best car I ever owned.
I'm glad you like it!

I tested the 235M first and then the M4, I imagined the M2 would be similar to the 235M but more stiff and more powerful. But when I actually drove it it was a completely different feel from both the 235M and M4..

It is by far the best feeling car I have owned.. can't stop grinning while I drive it
SeanWRT3179.00
DCM278.00
csbear1118.00
luvmybmmr305.00
      12-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
I met one of my m4 buddies to check out his recently installed LED MP steering wheel, and took the opportunity to use his m4 for a 30KM city+highway trip.

The comparison between the duo was debated to death and I am familiar with both already. Drove m4 from time to time. But back to back driving them did make more accurate impression, though no instrumental tests were performed.

M2 is bone stock power wise, but M4 is fitted with the Akrapovic Catback, which removes the two cats in the mid pipe from stock system. Both cars are on stock tune.

In the city, either in sport or sport+, m2 throttle is more direct most of time because the torque down low always comes faster and even stronger than m4. M4 responds just fine to the slight gas input, but when you seriously get on gas, downshifting or not, it has a slight hesitation before starts to push, which is a turbo lag indication as we reckoned. As the Odo climbed to 80~100KPH, or from mid range in 3rd, M4 is noticeably stronger and starts to pull away from there.

I rarely drive any of my other cars than the m2 since I took delivery of it. The moment I got into m4 cabin, I instantly feel 1) luxurious 2) roomy. It has beautiful Marino leather covered on dash and door panel, compared to which, the m2 interior just feels plain cheap. And the M4 skeleton racing seat is nothing short of gorgeous, a couple notches above m2's Dakota leather ones, though the support and comfort they offered are identical. I really wish I could pay to have all those options.

When cars are on the move, they pushes (when under 80KPH I'd say), steers and brakes identically. Only M4 felt just a little bit too big and the existence of its rear is annoyingly noticeable, exactly the same as my 328i. M2 is clearly much more planted, nimble and confidence inspiring when accelerating, carrying speed in corner or changing lanes. M4's long rear is always struggling to keep pace with its front end.

Now the sound, m2 was supposed to demolish m4 in stock form, but not when we were looking at the one that's fitted with the finest aftermarket system in the market. No doubt, Akra M4 sings at a much higher pitch everywhere it's revving and overall is a better sounding car than a stock m2, though to my surprise it doesn't burble & crackle at all, whichever mode you put it in. My buddy was super jealous when my m2, set to hidden mode or sport mode, burbled like a real beast.

At the end of the day, M2 is the clear winner by far in terms of "M"-ness and I don't think I am biased.
Thanks for sharing. Great writeup. I didn't get to drive the m2 but when driving the first series m3 as much as I loved the luxury in the interior the car felt like a whale when handling around for the corners. My m2 should be here hopefully in March! Btw what us "hidden mode" don't think I'm familiar?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Great writeup. I didn't get to drive the m2 but when driving the first series m3 as much as I loved the luxury in the interior the car felt like a whale when handling around for the corners. My m2 should be here hopefully in March! Btw what us "hidden mode" don't think I'm familiar?
Hidden mode is as following:

With mannual: activate MDM mode by quick pushing DSC off button.

With DCT: activate MDM mode AND put into sequential.

Lift throttle below 4500 rpm, the car burble and crackle like crazy.
      12-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hidden mode is as following:

With mannual: activate MDM mode by quick pushing DSC off button.

With DCT: activate MDM mode AND put into sequential.

Lift throttle below 4500 rpm, the car burble and crackle like crazy.
Does the hidden mode only work when you put comfort + dsc off? Or does it work in sport/sport+ as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_M2 View Post
Does the hidden mode only work when you put comfort + dsc off? Or does it work in sport/sport+ as well?
MDM, activated by a single press of dsc off button, is a standalone mode. It is not something "attached" to comfort/sport/sport+. The same thing can be said to DSC off mode (long press dsc off button).

Basically m2 has 5 modes available. Below chart from m2 training document explain the characteristics in each of them.
Attached Images

BAN_M2C4151.50
      12-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Just to be clear, it was my buddy's m4 that's with Akrapovic.

I already ordered MPE, will have it installed in early Jan. To have this best sounding system in the market (most would agree), I am risking having 3K drone and cold start vibrating issues. Let's pray that don't happen

Akrapovic is Akrapovic, quality second to none. It's free of drone as reported and offers amazing sounding as well (have to say need a Downpipe to guarantee satisfaction). It's the safest choice.
Yup... clear on that!

Will be great to get your impressions on the MPE. As of now I am leaning on getting it myself, as exhaust sound is a big part of my enjoyment in driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #12
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Yup... clear on that!

Will be great to get your impressions on the MPE. As of now I am leaning on getting it myself, as exhaust sound is a big part of my enjoyment in driving.
I just took delivery yesterday of my F87 with the Dinan exhaust with resanator delete installed. Holy f'n shit this system is loud as it is good. Pops, crackles, overrun galore. It borderlines on being uncouth, decibel and aggressiveness-wise. IMO, this is the best a turbocharged car...I6, V8, whatever can possibly be as it relates to sound. The rev matching downshifts are head turners. I really can't praise this exhaust enough. As with any system, you need to hear it in person. YouTube clips just don't cut it, regardless of how good your speakers are.

If you're close to 19335, hit me up. We'll go for a spin.
Appreciate 3
BAN_M2C4151.50
zmo105.50
      12-21-2016, 05:01 AM   #13
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
I just took delivery yesterday of my F87 with the Dinan exhaust with resanator delete installed. Holy f'n shit this system is loud as it is good. Pops, crackles, overrun galore. It borderlines on being uncouth, decibel and aggressiveness-wise. IMO, this is the best a turbocharged car...I6, V8, whatever can possibly be as it relates to sound. The rev matching downshifts are head turners. I really can't praise this exhaust enough. As with any system, you need to hear it in person. YouTube clips just don't cut it, regardless of how good your speakers are.

Too bad it doesn't have Carbon fiber tips

CF diffuser rocks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
Too bad it doesn't have Carbon fiber tips

CF diffuser rocks
True. Exterior CF, especially near the ground is so prone to damage from road debris. It would drive me nuts.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #15
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:

I may have to check this exhaust out in person. I live in York, Pa so I'm pretty close. I've been scouring the web to find videos other than Dinan's video, but haven't found very much. Do you have any other Dinan goodies on your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 05:30 AM   #16
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
I may have to check this exhaust out in person. I live in York, Pa so I'm pretty close. I've been scouring the web to find videos other than Dinan's video, but haven't found very much. Do you have any other Dinan goodies on your car?
Cold air intake and sport tuner set to "race" (+4 psi). Stage 4 is on my springtime agenda when the weather warms up and my bank account can recover.

PM me after the holidays. I'll make the hour trek west which will help towards the 1200 mile hurdle.
Appreciate 1
MTHRAR437.50
      12-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Cold air intake and sport tuner set to "race" (+4 psi). Stage 4 is on my springtime agenda when the weather warms up and my bank account can recover.

PM me after the holidays. I'll make the hour trek west which will help towards the 1200 mile hurdle.
Nice. I'm thinking about going with one of the power packages which includes the exhaust and I'd add the res delete. Yea, maybe we could meet in Lancaster or something as that would be sort of in between. My M2 pretty much hibernates in the winter (I drive it when it's decent out), but I don't have winter tires...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #18
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Yea, maybe we could meet in Lancaster or something as that would be sort of in between. My M2 pretty much hibernates in the winter (I drive it when it's decent out), but I don't have winter tires...
Your call. Hit me up if you want a little taste. The sport boost controller I have gives the same gains as stage 1 only a lot less expensive and supposedly not as super smooth because it's only tapping into one port, thus not affecting fueling, etc. Seems pretty smooth to me regardless. I'm also equipped with x ice 3 tires so the elements are all but nullified.
Appreciate 0