11-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Question R56 GP2 or MY17 M2

Evening all..... was hoping somebody here has had some experience with both of these cars.

I've been the very proud owner of a MINI R56 GP which I have owned since new. I've always had hot hatches and have had a real love hate relationship with this car. Don't get me wrong, I love driving it - on a sunny day and the open road it's the best. On a twisty track it can destroy all but the largest V12's.

However stuck in traffic or on one of the many days it's been off the road broken (none of them drive train related) it's a real pain It's just come to the end of warranty and the 'GP' specific part have often meant very long waits for stock. Add the fact Kumho no longer make tyres for it and well.... is it time to let her go?

I know it's not exactly a fair comparison.... one's a 4 cylinder FWD and the other a 6 cylinder RWD. One has 235 BHP and the other 365. For me it's all about how a car makes you feel, how engaging is it to drive....

The thing is every time I think i'm done with the GP I take it for a drive and fall in love again. I've spoken to too many people who sold their GP2's for supposedly bigger and better cars; M4/5, 911s, even a Ferrari, only to tell me how much they regretted it

Will my M2 live up to the hype? Will I love it more than the GP ? Will I regret selling the GP

Last edited by CommitConfirm; 11-01-2016 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
kezm2
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM M2 Manual

I can't compare directly but I have a similar set up with the GP1 and at the moment I've no real desire to sell.

Just in terms of the cars, they feel very different, like you mention the GP feels agile and on the right road or track that nimbleness and size is a formidable package. It's an exciting drive, might not be the purists choice, FWD and all that blah blah. I grin every time I drive my Mini and that's enough to keep it as long as possible.

In comparison to the M2, I'm sure the GP2 is closer in terms of cabin refinement, turbo power delivery so maybe there isn't the gap I see. The M2 feels like a car 10 years newer than the GP1, it's immensely capable and I have a lot to learn in driving and owning this thing.

On UK roads there is a sweet spot of usable power, I imagine swapping the Mini or the M2 even for a 458 or GT3 etc would be amazing but you go from being able to use 80/90% of a car safely to using 40/50% of a car before you are doing silly speeds, and that to me means there would always be the regret of moving for something more desirable but less useful in general use.

I an ideal world keep them both and see how you feel, I think the M2 will match any expectations, I don't have a glittering car history behind me but I absolutely love it and the feedback / hype I think is well deserved. I'm hanging on to the GP1 and the M2 as long as possible, contrasting drives, enjoyment from both, less mileage on two cars, and I particularly like driving the Mini on track, I'm gaining a lot of confidence in the car and I think once you have that relationship with a car it's hard to let go of it.

On the other side of this is reality and if something needs to go for the right reasons then the feelings of regret should be fairly small if you have to do it at that point in time. I've sold stuff that yes I miss but I don't regret because I knew at the time it was the right thing to do.

Having said all that a GP2 with different coilovers, R888r tyres and the 290ish hp upgrades people have been doing sounds quite a track weapon...hmm haha
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Hi Kez, thank you for your input on the two cars. I guess this is what I needed & wanted to hear. It's real head vs heart stuff for me.

My head tells me all about the practical issues like warranty, reliability, depreciation, tax/mot/insurance costs. My heart tells me things like enjoyment, satisfaction & pleasure..... we don't 'need' to sell the GP but I already have a classic mini sprint/hillclimb car, a MINI Van, the GP and with the Mrs' RS on order for the new year space is the main issue.

I guess the solution is to find a friendly farmer with a barn or a neighbour who is not using their garage & keep both

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezm2 View Post
Having said all that a GP2 with different coilovers, R888r tyres and the 290ish hp upgrades people have been doing sounds quite a track weapon...hmm haha
They are not Trip8's but how about something like this?
Appreciate 1
kezm231.00
      11-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
kezm2
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM M2 Manual

Will be a tough choice, I can see how space might be a problem, best get some nice christmas hampers dropped off to the neighbours and see who has space haha. Great collection going on there!
Appreciate 0