J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Test-drove a Cayman PDK this morning

I test-drove a Cayman PDK this morning and, as expected, there were some things I liked about it and some others I didn't. In short:

Things I liked: Steering feel, steering wheel, driving position, handling (!), gearbox (at least just as good as the DCT), individual buttons for the sports exhaust, rear spoiler and for the suspension settings. Traction is very good, even with Pirelli PZero tires (same dimensions as the M2).

Things I did not liked: Engine noise (4 cil, loud but numb in high revs), navigation system (got lost and had to use it to get back to the dealership). The way the interior is arranged makes it less intuitive to use and not as comfortable as the M2. Did not like the engine which IMO is severely underpowered (300hp) and lacks torque in lower revs.

Conclusion: Would not buy this version. Will test the Cayman S (both manual and pdk) soon.

PS: I ran out of battery on my camera and had to improvise a bit using my phone... the sound is good enough though. Will try to edit a reasonably informative video later on.
Robin_NL8679.50
      10-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
      10-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Wel, used to own a 981 CGTS, PASM, SCP, PCCB, PSE, PDK, I have to say interior wise that car stood far above the M2, which I`m currently driving, the 6MT version.

IMHO;

The PDK outsmarts the M-DCT by far (I`ve test driven an M4 with M-DCT for over 1500km), especially in the automatic mode (so that makes it 50% better tot me) The 6MT on the M2 is great, short and direct throws, very easy, no rubbery feeling to me, the clutch is (too) soft, it engages (too)late and (too)high for me, definitely a point for improvement!
If I would buy a next Porsche I would take the PDK in a blink of an eye, it is really that good.

Interior of the Porsche has a much higher level. The iDrive I must admit is far superior to al the Porsche knobs, and BMW`s sat nav is being considered the best in automotive industry, although the 718 system has improved compared to the 981 one. It is quicker, has more options (Apple car play)
The cabin in the Porsche feels smaller, I do like that personally, it makes you feel more one with the car, I think on ergonomics and seating position the M2 could have done better, even with the standard manual seats I`m sitting high, the transmission tunnel is too wide at the accelerator pedal, too small where you knee should res against the knee pad, but it won`t do that, it simply is too wide of.

The M2 is a lot heavier, so the standard 718 on 300HP IMO is not really underpowered, it is just the way of perception. It pulls a little less (torque) than the M2, that could also influence you opinion.

The best of the Porsche however was its road compliance, the M2 is harsh in comparison !

Last edited by Romo; 10-11-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 5
3tekcorps826.00
J.M262.50
amdmaxx118.00
CSBM52665.50
      10-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I agree that the interior of the Cayman has better materials, but for some reason it felt to me like the distribution of everything and even the visual appeal was not so much up there quality wise.
      10-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M View Post
I test-drove a Cayman PDK this morning and, as expected, there were some things I liked about it and some others I didn't. In short:

Things I did not liked: Engine noise (4 cil, loud but numb in high revs), navigation system (got lost and had to use it to get back to the dealership). The way the interior is arranged makes it less intuitive to use and not as comfortable as the M2. Did not like the engine which IMO is severely underpowered (300hp) and lacks torque in lower revs.

Conclusion: Would not buy this version. Will test the Cayman S (both manual and pdk) soon.
I have not heard anything good about the 4 banger in the Cayman. No way to get good sound and the lack of LE pull is concerning, if not ... TRAGIC! Looking forward to your Cayman S review because if I get screwed out of a M2 I may have to ..... SETTLE.
Appreciate 1
J.M262.50
      10-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Indeed it`s a pity it is only a 4 banger, so I`m anxiously waiting for the 718 GTS and GT4 .

See what Porsche is coming up with, the 6 flat screamer on the 981 CGTS was out of this world, certainly with the standard PSE.

There is a Preuninger interview where he stated the next generation GT4 will at least be saved for continuing its 6 flat !
Appreciate 1
J.M262.50
      10-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
smoothM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I had owned a 2009 cayman S pdk with PASM and I will tell you the PASM is worth every penny especially as a daily driver. It's one thing that is missing on the M2, adjustable suspension. The M2 makes up for it by being a more practical daily with usable rear seats and gobs of torque. Most importantly for me, the M2 flies a bit under the radar. The cayman is obviously a porsche, but the M2 is a smaller BMW that only enthusiasts will recognize.
Appreciate 1
J.M262.50
      10-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:

Things I liked: Steering feel, steering wheel, driving position, handling (!), gearbox (at least just as good as the DCT), individual buttons for the sports exhaust, rear spoiler and for the suspension settings. Traction is very good, even with Pirelli PZero tires (same dimensions as the M2).

PS: I ran out of battery on my camera and had to improvise a bit using my phone... the sound is good enough though. Will try to edit a reasonably informative video later on.
Cayman and Cayman S ...like two different cars. I too test drove both. S or nothing! The non S just felt lifeless in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Indeed it`s a pity it is only a 4 banger, so I`m anxiously waiting for the 718 GTS and GT4 .

See what Porsche is coming up with, the 6 flat screamer on the 981 CGTS was out of this world, certainly with the standard PSE.

There is a Preuninger interview where he stated the next generation GT4 will at least be saved for continuing its 6 flat !
Do not believe AP on this point. Flat 6 in the 718 GT4 is not that likely. I hope it is but I am betting it is not.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
I agree that the interior of the Cayman has better materials, but for some reason it felt to me like the distribution of everything and even the visual appeal was not so much up there quality wise.
It is, you need to check the boxes with Porsche. Leather/carbon/color stitching etc.. All it takes is more $$.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Do not believe AP on this point. Flat 6 in the 718 GT4 is not that likely. I hope it is but I am betting it is not.

I do hope for it, but as you I`ve first got see it happen.

Time will tell !
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
It is, you need to check the boxes with Porsche. Leather/carbon/color stitching etc.. All it takes is more $$.
So I was told by the sales agent
      10-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Cayman and Cayman S ...like two different cars. I too test drove both. S or nothing! The non S just felt lifeless in comparison.
I have driven the Cayman range before (the 981) and that was definitely also the case before.
      10-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #14
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

I had base boxster out with same setup...for dd around town this car gets up and goes. sport chrono you push little button on mode selector and you get 20 secs full on. I pushed it floored throttle and passed a big truck on test drive easily wentry upto 150km from 80km...so not underpowered. then again depends on how much power torque you need.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #15
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I've test driven both Boxster (718) & Boxster S (718) and having previously owned a Boxster S (981), my thoughts were:

The 718 (non S) is the better buy. It sounds better from the outside, has almost as much power as the S, is quicker than the previous S model. Being a turbo, you'd have to assume there's also a degree of tuning that will easily give you some extra power.
In the 981 range, the non S model was gutless and you'd only consider the S. No longer is that the case, the gap has narrowed substantially.

But the sound and feel of the new engine just isn't there. Driving these new cars, I just felt like I was in a VW Beetle. I could hear and feel the vibration of an old VW.

In every other way, they're all more capable on the road than an M2, but I hated the sound and that was enough to walk away from it.
I've done laps around a track in the 718 Boxster S and was so happy I bought the M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 01:27 AM   #16
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
I had base boxster out with same setup...for dd around town this car gets up and goes. sport chrono you push little button on mode selector and you get 20 secs full on. I pushed it floored throttle and passed a big truck on test drive easily wentry upto 150km from 80km...so not underpowered. then again depends on how much power torque you need.
I need ALL the power I can get

Seriously, for a car that is to be tracked, I need more than the 300hp on the Cayman and more than 380nm of torque. I had an Alfa Romeo hatchback that had more than 300nm for christ sake! Cars are not measured by their power/torque numbers and the Cayman is a great package, just wouldn't be right for me.
      10-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #17
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

well I did track day of boxster S...that should give you the increase you need...certainly more responsive and punch. the PDK is brilliant for track.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #18
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
well I did track day of boxster S...that should give you the increase you need...certainly more responsive and punch. the PDK is brilliant for track.
With the 718? It should indeed. I tracked the 981 Cayman S and it was great but that one had the flat-six of course.
      10-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #19
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Too bad about the sound. I didn't like the front end of the 981.1 and the 718 had fixed that.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #20
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Too bad about the sound. I didn't like the front end of the 981.1 and the 718 had fixed that.
Don't get me wrong, it is not exactly bad and you notice that they fiddled a lot with the exhaust note to try and make up for the lack of cylinders and displacement.. but it is simply not as noble as the one it replaced or as the N55. But judging from videos, I could go as far as to say that it sounds better than the B58 but then again, I never heard a B58 in person.
      10-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #21
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

OP.. thanks for your impressions. Curous to see what you think of the 718 S.

Signs point to GT4 being flat 6 again. GTS will just be a slightly tuned up 718S, with usual performance options standard, and some aesthetic changes....as it always is.
Appreciate 2
J.M262.50
flyaway140.50
      10-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #22
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
OP.. thanks for your impressions. Curous to see what you think of the 718 S.

Signs point to GT4 being flat 6 again. GTS will just be a slightly tuned up 718S, with usual performance options standard, and some aesthetic changes....as it always is.

+1

Aside the (moderate in the case of NA flat 6) power increase, performance wise, you could usually "build" yourself a GTS equivalent even before it came up in the respective Porsche line up. That's not the case with the real GT versions...
Appreciate 0