BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M5

09-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Long Beach Blue

M2 vs M5

I have owned the M5 since 2013 split between my and gal pal and it was a auto show car with all the options. My background is that probably I have over my lifetime spend upwards of close to a million dollars on cars now that I am 61 and I started at 18 thru my first car new Ford Mustang 73, highlights are 4 corvettes... My fav being the 82 collector edition, a black Dodge Viper 2d year production which was very at the time, 10 bmws at least etc with a fav being a x5 4.8... Limited before the M series hit, in fact I liked it better than the x 5 m I used to own both were driver over 90k miles.

My fav car of all time Hands down is the M2...and here is the reason why... It ain't a auto door closing four door take your grandma to the airport and put it on sport on the way home auto. It is a beast plain and simple... Forget your mother-in laws, your backseat friends ... It just you and your gal gripping the road and hearing how a sports car should really sound. It is what it is and that in there lies where the real strength of M2.

The 4 door M5 is amazing. and insane and for me it took months to figure everything out...at the time I purchased it the model change occurred I believe and was far ahead of its time for car.. Similar to my purchase of the new 7 series model which I bought year one of the model change. The 5 is my second fav car all time.

BUT.....

Sometimes you have to ask yourself are you a real sports driver or do you want a hybrid... The M5 clearly is two cars... And that is truly unique...thumbs up... But to me the M2 is more intimate... Less room and sexy and for some reason it feels quicker.

Sitting next to each other they are worlds apart... I like the body style of M2 better, sexier. Price wise who really cares, but if you do it's like 50k diff... So the real issue here is...I just wanna drive the heck out of the car before you put me in a wheel chair when the highlight of my day is watching the price is right while I am drooling. This car might add some years on to your life and get you out of the house.

At 61, you always look back and say I should'a ,could'a redone it... I got news for you... You are gonna not be thinking as much anymore when you finally drive this car with a solid identity...refreshing...its ment to be driven at a amazingly affordable price for the value of what you pay for.

The M2 is not for the exec who wants every option in the world to one up everybody else... No BMW wisely saw to that with the smallest list of optional equipment.. ... What they are saying is keep this pure... Make everyone who owns it on the same footing... Amazing BMW got the attitude and did not go for the$$$ options like night vision, self closing doors and butt warmers.

In summary, this car Physically blends to you and respects the personal need to have a true sports car in the BMW M world.

Last edited by Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner; 10-04-2016 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
WJSM5117.00
SeanWRT3179.00
      09-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 - 14 M5

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Great write up. Coming from my M5 you got me really excited about the M2. However I will continue to enjoy the M5 for the grandma instances.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Long Beach Blue

As a follow up to all of us bmw guys.....Me and my Gal Pal split the drive to the Temecula wine county in Riverside county from Encinitas over this last weekend, we took up a couple of hills on a detour also. She drove up, and I drove back after visiting the 2 super Wineries and that why I can post today, before we bought the car she said" we don't need another sports car, we have the M5, lets go for the X6M.

She drives mainly the M5...you know to the gym, daily drive etc. Well the first time she drove the M2 when I brought it home, she comes back, she said the M5 blows it away, even after are weekend trip no comment either. She then shakes her head and says "why did you buy this car" with that classic "I told you so Look" right after her first drive of the M2 on the very night I bought it home.

She calls me on Monday, and says she and her girlfriend would like to take the car "out"..shopping on my dime of course and promising to park it away from the crowd.

A couple of hours later, she calls me...and she says " I get it"...I say what..."the M2 is super fun to drive"....I was a little intimidated during the drive with you". But now that I am relaxed I understand why you bought it.

Let me make one thing clear about the M5...in 2013 it was in my opinion the best car in the world for 100K...Tech and drive wise..no question hands down...during our 52K miles of flawless non-repair driving in the last 3 years, I would give a 10/10 in terms of value, performance,and reliability.

I salute M5 as a unique two-sided luxury/sports car with the best of both. No regrets here.

However you just can't compare an apple to orange, and that is what I was trying to tell her...that in terms of FUN..nothing tops the M2...

Ater she told that she understands now, my comeback was well look, you can pay me back tonight...I am sure I can think of something you can do to make it up to me.

Last edited by Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner; 10-04-2016 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 02:52 AM   #4
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner View Post
As a follow up to all of us bmw guys.....Me and my Gal Pal split the drive to the Temecula wine county in Riverside county from Encinitas over this last weekend, we took up a couple of hills on a detour also. She drove up, and I drove back after visiting the 2 super Wineries and that why I can post today, before we bought the car she said" we don't need another sports car, we have the M5, lets go for the X6M.

She drives mainly the M5...you know to the gym, daily drive etc. Well the first time she drove the M2 when I brought it home, she comes back, she said the M5 blows it away, even after are weekend trip no comment either. She then shakes her head and says "why did you buy this car" with that classic "I told you so Look" right after her first drive of the M2 on the very night I bought it home.

She calls me on Monday, and says she and her girlfriend would like to take the car "out"..shopping on my dime of course and promising to park it away from the crowd.

A couple of hours later, she calls me...and she says " I get it"...I say what..."the M2 is super fun to drive"....I was a little intimidated during the drive with you". But now that I am relaxed I understand why you bought it.

Let me make one thing clear about the M5...in 2013 it was in my opinion the best car in the world for 100K...Tech and drive wise..no question hands down...during our 52K miles of flawless non-repair driving in the last 3 years, I would give a 10/10 in terms of value, performance,and reliability.

I salute M5 as a unique two-sided luxury/sports car with the best of both. No regrets here.

However you just can't compare an apple to orange, and that is what I was trying to tell her...that in terms of FUN..nothing tops the M2...

Ater she told that she understands now, my comeback was well look, you can pay me back tonight...I am sure I can think of something you can do to make it up to me.
Nice.

I have a 7 series and wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm angling for the M2 or Mustang GT and wife is balking mainly due to crowding the garage defense....I'm still getting something, we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner View Post
I was trying to tell her...that in terms of FUN..nothing tops the M2...
I think you need to go test drive some more stuff. There are, of course, many cars that are more "FUN" than the M2. The M2 is a nice compromise, but it's still a compromise. Still more GT than sports car. Which isn't a bad thing. But it's a far cry from the funnest car on the road. Not even close.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Have you considered the Miata?
      12-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I think you need to go test drive some more stuff. There are, of course, many cars that are more "FUN" than the M2. The M2 is a nice compromise, but it's still a compromise. Still more GT than sports car. Which isn't a bad thing. But it's a far cry from the funnest car on the road. Not even close.
Agreed. Love my M2, but given the dollar amounts you are talking about and already having bigger cars, have you considered the cayman S or previous gen Cayman GTS? For me, that's as much fun as you can pack in to a small car. Even a used 991 911 Carrera S is under 100k. Though, from your comments, it sounds like maybe you are a one brand family now? When it comes to pure fun, nothing I've driven comes close to the 991 GT3. I've seen those for sale as low as 120k now. Either way, enjoy what you have, because these are all great cars!
Appreciate 0