BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M2 vs Cayman GTS (old)

09-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
mmmpassion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 6MT, M3 E92 Comp. DCT

BMW M2 vs Cayman GTS (old)

Appreciate 3
BruceM983.00
atxsk8r1568.50
quikM2369.50
      09-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Used to own a Sapphire Blue GTS, currently the M2, so haven driven both cars extensively, I do concur most conclusions in the above video.

For me major differences;

- Roadcompliance, the GTS is far more better on that aspect, the M2 harsh in comparison

-Seating position; GTS low, M2 relatively high (even though I have specced the manual seats) The standard M2 seats are better than the (standard) sport seats plus on the GTS

Steering; the M2 is more direct, initial steering response is better, the steering wheel is thicker, the GTS wheel (alcantara which I did not like on how artificial and sweaty feeling) is too thin.
The GTS steering was a little weird to me, in fast cornering it felt I always had to fight it, it has a massive self centering force to it, like torque steer (some people will cal me crazy, but this is what it is to me) Anyway; the steering on the GTS was the greatest let down of a further brilliant car.

Engine and exhaust sound; The M2 being turbo driven does sound quite nice for such an engine, but......the utterly, brilliant going down to your bones and having goosebumps al over the time by the GTS 6 flat sound with the PSE on is what this car makes it worth, oh oh what a screamer, in tunnel runs it sounded like the old F1 NA days, screaming ,yelling like your wife possessed by the devil himself....SURREALISTIC !!

Brakes; the steel oversized 380mm front and 370 mm rear discs on the M2 will do the job, yes there is a lot of brake dust unfortunately. My GTS had the PCCB`s on them, smaller with 350mm al around, but massive stopping power, great feel, less unsprung weight, very good looking indeed and no brake dust what so ever. I would buy them again instantaneously !

Driving Fun; The M2 IMHO is more playful at lower speeds (due to it`s massive torque / low RPM), the GTS has to be driven hard, and I mean HARD, to get the best out of it ,then it is the most rewarding. But than again, you can not always drive that car to the max when on normal roads.

Exterior/Interior, the M2 is a little bulky, blown up so to say, the GTS more sleek, more slim, both making very clear what their intentions are to anyone who lays an eye on them.
Interoir wise the GTS stands on a higher level, better materials, however the use of the on board electronics and their interface is a clear win for the M2, the iDrive is far ahead of its time, the GTS full of knobs which are also difficult to reach while the PDK/6MT shifter standing in the way.

2 great great cars, do not make a choice IMO !! Buy them both

Last edited by Romo; 09-25-2016 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 01:49 AM   #3
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Used to own a Sapphire Blue GTS, currently the M2, so haven driven both cars extensively, I do concur most conclusions in the above video.

For me major differences;

- Roadcompliance, the GTS is far more better on that aspect, the M2 harsh in comparison

-Seating position; GTS low, M2 relatively high (even though I have specced the manual seats) The standard M2 seats are better than the (standard) sport seats plus on the GTS

Steering; the M2 is more direct, initial steering response is better, the steering wheel is thicker, the GTS wheel (alcantara which I did not like on how artificial and sweaty feeling) is too thin.
The GTS steering was a little weird to me, in fast cornering it felt I always had to fight it, it has a massive self centering force to it, like torque steer (some people will cal me crazy, but this is what it is to me) Anyway; the steering on the GTS was the greatest let down of a further brilliant car.

Engine and exhaust sound; The M2 being turbo driven does quite nice for such an engine, but......the utterly, brilliant going down to your bones and having goosebumps al over the time by the GTS 6 flat sound with the PSE on is what this car makes it worth, oh oh what a screamer, in tunnel runs it sounded like the old F1 NA days, screaming ,yelling like your wife possessed by the devil himself....SURREALISTIC !!

Brakes; the steel oversized 380mm front and 370 mm rear discs on the M2 will do the job, yes there is a lot of brake dust unfortunately. My GTS had the PCCB`s on them, smaller with 350mm al around, but massive stopping power, great feel, less unsprung weight, very good looking indeed and no brake dust what so ever. I would buy them again instantaneously !

Driving Fun; The M2 IMHO is more playful at lower speeds (due to it`s massive torque / low RPM), the GTS has to be driven hard, and I mean HARD, to get the best out of it ,then it is the most rewarding. But than again, you can not always drive that car to the max when on normal roads.

Exterior/Interior, the M2 is a little bulky, blown up so to say, the GTS more sleek, more slim, both making very clear what their intentions are to anyone who lays an eye on them.
Interoir wise the GTS stands on a higher level, better materials, however the use of the on board electronics and their interface is a clear win for the M2, the iDrive is far ahead of its time, the GTS full of knobs which are also difficult to reach while the PDK/6MT shifter standing in the way.

2 great great cars, do not make a choice IMO !! Buy them both
Can you explain what you mean by road compliance in your first point?

As you know I'm trying to decide between a 981 and an M2
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
Can you explain what you mean by road compliance in your first point?

As you know I'm trying to decide between a 981 and an M2

Yes I can At least I`ll try........

I mean the way the car drives and reacts on low/high speeds, this in relation to spring/dampening behavior on all kind of roads.

The Cayman has far more "compliance"!!
Its underpinnings and spring/dampening set-up (I`m speaking of the PASM witch I had on my CGTS) is unbelievable good, no outstanding and supurb !!
It doesn`t matter if roads are bad, the suspension set-up wil do its job in a way that can not be praised enough. If you look how small the wheelbase is compared to the M2, furthermore I had the 20" Carrera Classics and the M2 has the 19" standard, it is just amazing and awesome how good the CGTS is mastering al kind of roads !!

On the other hand, the M2, of course no adaptive suspension set-up, is harsh and unforgiving on especially bad roads, driving the BAB that is just fine.
On bad roads the forces are being brought in to the interior of course due to the direct bolt on subframe, but the interior can`t hardly cope the forces.
I would say there is a discrepancy in balance between the suspension set up and how the interoir deals with those forces, for an M car, which where always renowned for this balance, I think BMW did not a good job.
Either way the suspension to harsh, the interoir to weak, there is your imbalance.

Last edited by Romo; 09-25-2016 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Yes I can At least I`ll try........

I mean the way the car drives and reacts on low/high speeds, this in relation to spring/dampening behavior on all kind of roads.

The Cayman has far more "compliance"!!
Its underpinnings and spring/dampening set-up (I`m speaking of the PASM witch I had on my CGTS) is unbelievable good, no outstanding and supurb !!
It doesn`t matter if roads are bad, the suspension set-up wil do its job in a way that can not be praised enough. If you look how small the wheelbase is compared to the M2, furthermore I had the 20" Carrera Classics and the M2 has the 19" standard, it is just amazing and awesome how good the CGTS is mastering al kind of roads !!

On the other hand, the M2, of course no adaptive suspension set-up, is harsh and unforgiving on especially bad roads, driving the BAB that is just fine.
On bad roads the forces are being brought in to the interior of course due to the direct bolt on subframe, but the interior can`t hardly cope the forces.
I would say there is a discrepancy in balance between the suspension set up and how the interoir deals with those forces, for an M car, which where always renowned for this balance, I think BMW did not a good job.
Either way the suspension to harsh, the interoir to weak, there is your imbalance.
Agree with Romo's comments on suspension - the 981 suspension is superb. The combination of handling and compliance is really impressive. I cannot comment on Cayman GTS steering, but the Boxster S steering I have is sensational. Direct, no dead spot, excellent weight. Seems like it would be very similar to CGTS so I cannot account for the difference in my experience versus Romo's? (I'm on 19's, PASM, PTV). Like Romo, I favor the thicker BMW steering wheels, but maybe that's because I've had so many BMWs. The Porsche seats are much lower than my E92 and, from what I've read, the M2. I prefer the Porsche seating position but find the BMW seats are more comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Romo1748.00