BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 or 2016 GLA45 AMG

07-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

M2 or 2016 GLA45 AMG

It's about the best problem a person could ever wish for. I was an original 1M owner, but as a car enthusiast I wanted to try other things. Let's not get caught up on the regret...yes, I regret selling the car. But this also allowed me to try two other great cars in the meantime while someone else get's to enjoy the 1M. Win for everyone...

So I bought an Audi SQ5 purely out of "need" more than want. We needed an SUV because we moved at the end of 2014, and I still wanted something with some pep. Through this I learned that I'm just NOT an SUV guy at all...and will never be again. The wife has the SUV now.

So I ordered an M2 and was 9th on the dealer list. This spot wasn't as prime as I had with the 1M, but it wasn't bad either. My thought was that I may reasonably get the car in two years. So after giving the wife the SUV, I shopped around for something in the interim. I should've got a Civic...that would've been the smart thing to do.

But while servicing the Audi, I saw a brand new GLA45 AMG fully decked out. It's a pretty sick little car! It's definitely a hot hatch...and it was really quick. I just can't believe that I've obsessed about an "SUV" like the GLA45 AMG. It's a great car, and I bought it! I've had it for about a month.

Then I get the darn call! 6 people dropped out of the M2. Nobody ever expected this...so now I have a decision to make. I can't keep both, and if I did make it work (which I probably could) my wife would kill me...and frankly, I just don't need them both. It's unreasonable.

So your thoughts? They're definitely different cars...but I love BMW's. It's my favorite brand by far right now...even though the Mercedes is a really, really nice car. The Audi IMO was junk...overpriced VW. Not a fan at all, and it's not for me.

So do I keep the GLA45 AMG? Do I build out the M2 and sell afterwards on Ebay? Do I let go of the allocation entirely (this is my least favorite option). So I wanted to open up the conversation and see what others would do if they were in the same position.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 07-06-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n
It's about the best problem a person could ever wish for. I was an original 1M owner, but as a car enthusiast I wanted to try other things. Let's not get caught up on the regret...yes, I regret selling the car. But this also allowed me to try two other great cars in the meantime while someone else get's to enjoy the 1M. Win for everyone...

So I bought an Audi SQ5 purely out of "need" more than want. We needed an SUV because we moved at the end of 2014, and I still wanted something with some pep. Through this I learned that I'm just NOT an SUV guy at all...and will never be again. The wife has the SUV now.

So I ordered an M2 and was 9th on the dealer list. This spot wasn't as prime as I had with the 1M, but it wasn't bad either. My thought was that I may reasonably get the car in two years. So after giving the wife the SUV, I shopped around for something in the interim. I should've got a Civic...that would've been the smart thing to do. But while servicing the Audi, I saw a brand new GLA45 AMG fully decked out. It's a pretty sick little car! It's definitely a hot hatch...and it was really quick. I just can't believe that I've obsessed about an "SUV" like the GLA45 AMG. It's a great car!

Then I get the darn call! 6 people dropped out of the M2. Nobody ever expected this...so now I have a decision to make. I can't keep both, and if I did make it work (which I probably could) my wife would kill me...and frankly, I just don't need them both. It's unreasonable.

So your thoughts? They're definitely different cars...but I love BMW's. It's my favorite brand by far right now...even though the Mercedes is a really, really nice car. The Audi IMO was junk...overpriced VW. Not a fan at all, and it's not for me.

So do I keep the GLA45 AMG? Do I build out the M2 and sell afterwards on Ebay? Do I let go of the allocation entirely (this is my least favorite option). So I wanted to open up the conversation and see what others would do if they were in the same position.
I vote for keep both, because you said you could make it work, yolo. If for some reason you are having a hard time making it work, you could always sell the GLA
      07-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

If you can afford both, why not try it? Then decide which to sell once you get a good feel for which better suits your needs.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

If you do not own the GLA yet, go with the M2.
      07-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Hard to tell from your post, but assuming you don't already own the MB, go with the M2. If you don't like it, it will be easy to get rid of without losing much, if any, money and get the GLA45 (which I love btw)

It won't be as simple if you do it the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Hard to tell from your post, but assuming you don't already own the MB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
I'll edit...sorry it was hard to tell from the post. I bought the GLA and have had it for about a month now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
If you can afford both, why not try it? Then decide which to sell once you get a good feel for which better suits your needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
I vote for keep both, because you said you could make it work, yolo.
Keeping both is definitely not an option if I want to keep my wife.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Hard to tell from your post, but assuming you don't already own the MB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
I'll edit...sorry it was hard to tell from the post. I bought the GLA and have had it for about a month now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
I vote for keep both, because you said you could make it work, yolo.
We never said which both you had to keep
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post

I also love the GLA45. Get rid of the Audi, keep the GLA for the wife (her SUV) and get the M2. Winner winner chicken dinner.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 3
Russkey154.50
      07-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Of the 45s, I like the GLA the best. The A45 is too boy racer....the CLA45 is trying to be like the CLS63 too much.

I just wish it wasn't a 4 cylinder!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

You are going to lose your shirt on selling the GLA now, plus nobody is giving a deal on the M2. So, you'll pay full retail for the M2 and lose $7-$10k on trade in with the GLA. Essentially making you the only person to pay $10k over MSRP on the M2. Stick with the GLA for the next 2 years and trade it in for the M2 when they'll be had for under MSRP.

Question, how is the throttle lag in the 2016 GLA? I test drove a 2015 and found the lag from a stop quite annoying in stop/go traffic. Supposedly the 2016's tweaked this, but haven't heard if fixed completely.

Thanks
      07-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #11
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
You are going to lose your shirt on selling the GLA now, plus nobody is giving a deal on the M2. So, you'll pay full retail for the M2 and lose $7-$10k on trade in with the GLA. Essentially making you the only person to pay $10k over MSRP on the M2. Stick with the GLA for the next 2 years and trade it in for the M2 when they'll be had for under MSRP.

Question, how is the throttle lag in the 2016 GLA? I test drove a 2015 and found the lag from a stop quite annoying in stop/go traffic. Supposedly the 2016's tweaked this, but haven't heard if fixed completely.

Thanks
Extremely reasonable response. My real thought was actually building out the M2, for the sake of selling slightly above sticker. That said, I was just going to list it on ebay and see if there would be takers. It's not exactly like 1M crazy, however I'm sure that someone would take a $1,000 to get a first year run.

The lag isn't bad actually, but it changes depending on the mode it's in (if you've selected this as an option; which this car had). In race mode it's extremely aggressive with very little lag. If you're in Sport or Sport+ modes it's definitely more pronounced...as if it needs to be coaxed for action.

The GLA 45 with all the options is an awesome treat. It's not as raw as the 1M, which is typically what I go for...but the options are actually useful...at least in my opinion. I usually change out my suspension in cars (I still have this in the attic: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ohlins), but the suspension works really well...similar to the Ducati Panigale. "Race" mode is definitely something you'd want to reserve for the track because it's just too hyped up and it will always downshift to stay near the top of the power curve. It's been a really fun ride. The most amazing thing is the exhaust option on this car... HOLY COW this thing sounds crazy. It talks all the way down the road with several pops and gurgles. It's pretty awesome!

One thing that I've been a bit torn on is if/when I decide to track the car. I think the GLA45 will be very capable and fun, but I do see that M2 as having more potential. The GLA45 is better on gas as a 2.0L 4 cylinder, but they've boosted at 1.8 bar, compared to the BMW V6 3.0L 1.1 bar. There's just more potential with modifying the BMW M2 in the long run IMO. I may be wrong...but for track days it seems like the M2 would be the one with slightly better room for growth.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

If you care about an interior, practicality and price, buy the GLA. MB and Audi especially, their interiors are just so much better than equivalent BMWs that it isn't funny. This is just a fact. It is also way more practical. The only complaints I've heard from friends with CL/A45s are reliability and they aren't that much fun in the corners. Otherwise, they are very well loved.

If you care more about driving, buy the M2. It is a very selfish car with not as much compromise in the way of practicality or interior. You will love the sound of your keys rattling on the cheap, cheap piece of hard plastic right around the shifter. Delight in knowing that every owner from a 116i to the A$200,000 plus M4 GTS gets to enjoy the same crappy piece of plastic.

But then you'll drive it and you won't care. It's like that girl, or guy, you might have known in college who might not have been the best looking, or the best dressed but they were real fun and could shag like someone lit their bum on fire and sometimes you think about them and wonder what your life would have been like if you'd stayed together for longer than a few months. Probably terrible, but maybe worth it.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #13
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

You should consider the Macan GTS as well. I use mine as a daily driver and I love it. I had a CLA45 and couldn't stand the tranny since it was slow and stupid. Maybe the Gla version is improved? Anyways the Macan tranny is way better.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 03:32 AM   #14
boohorlicks
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
If you care about an interior, practicality and price, buy the GLA. MB and Audi especially, their interiors are just so much better than equivalent BMWs that it isn't funny. This is just a fact. It is also way more practical. The only complaints I've heard from friends with CL/A45s are reliability and they aren't that much fun in the corners. Otherwise, they are very well loved.

If you care more about driving, buy the M2. It is a very selfish car with not as much compromise in the way of practicality or interior. You will love the sound of your keys rattling on the cheap, cheap piece of hard plastic right around the shifter. Delight in knowing that every owner from a 116i to the A$200,000 plus M4 GTS gets to enjoy the same crappy piece of plastic.

But then you'll drive it and you won't care. It's like that girl, or guy, you might have known in college who might not have been the best looking, or the best dressed but they were real fun and could shag like someone lit their bum on fire and sometimes you think about them and wonder what your life would have been like if you'd stayed together for longer than a few months. Probably terrible, but maybe worth it.

Bravo - you made my Friday.
2012 F21 M135i | Estoril Blue | 8AT
2008 E92 M3 | Azurite Black | DCT |
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
You should consider the Macan GTS as well. I use mine as a daily driver and I love it. I had a CLA45 and couldn't stand the tranny since it was slow and stupid. Maybe the Gla version is improved? Anyways the Macan tranny is way better.
While this may all be true for the Macan, the original poster already owns the GLA45 and has order up for the M2. I mean I guess we could through in the Audi TTS, Porsche Cayman S, etc if we're just opening it for getting rid of the GLA he bought 2 months ago and buying whatever. But, I don't think that's what the poster was considering. Basically should he sell the 2 month old GLA to buy the M2, keep the GLA and buy and keep the M2, or keep the GLA and buy the M2 with hopes of selling above what he paid on Ebay. Those are the scenarios he's pondering. I think the Ebay scenario will not work out as most can buy the M2 at MSRP and will be trading something in and receive a tax benefit for trade which will be lost if they buy M2 on eBay and have to sell whatever they drive now directly.

I'd keep the GLA, slap on a Rebellion piggyback tune and explore options for something different in a couple years. The 2016's appear to have really nice interiors and if important are low 12's in 1/4 post piggyback tune and are quicker stock than the Macan Turbo, much less the GTS.
      07-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I'd sell the Audi
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Why not order the M2 and see how you like it alongside the GLA. Then sell the one you find yourself driving less.
Appreciate 0