BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > My M2 vs. my other cars review...

07-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

My M2 vs. my other cars review...

I typically do a review to compare a new car I buy with what I have owned. Since I recently received my M2, I guess it is that time again

Warning… this is LONG!! If you don’t want to read my rambling, just close this now and spare yourself the agony

I decided to buy the M2 for a number of reasons. I always get antsy for a new car every year or two and like to change things. I’ve owned my M4 for 2 years which is the longest I’ve owned a car… that says a lot about how much I liked the M4 as an entire package. It’s a great car and I really love it.

I was trying to decide whether to buy another M4 with the competition package or something completely different. When the M2 came along, the idea of a smaller M car that maybe was a little less compromise really appealed to me. I have a bit of a soft spot for BMW… they build cars that resonate with me for some reason. I did not have the same “connection” with my Mercedes regardless as to how objectively good my C63 was and Audi has never made a car I’ve been interested in (save the R8). The very favourable reviews of the M235i as a platform also helped in my thinking. So, it’s not that I wasn’t happy with my M4, it was really just to experience something different.

To be honest, I didn’t love the first photos of the M2. The rear end looked odd and I felt the roof line made it look a little to egg shaped in photos (I still think it doesn’t photo well). I had this little bit of doubt right up until I saw mine in person. The car really looks so much better in person. The proportions look better, the rear end is really attractive (I have a picture below of mine and, to be honest, I like it more than my M4 from behind which I was worried would be the M2's weak spot), and it has an aggressive, bulldog look to it. Add the M performance accessories (spoiler and grille) and it looks amazing. I’m a big fan of the M4 from a looks perspective and I like the M2 as much overall. The M2 has a very different look than the M4 and I like aspects of each car.

Inside the car is nice too. Not as luxurious as my M4 with Merino leather everywhere but very sporty and very attractive. The blue accent stitching and the alcantara bits really pull it together. I haven’t found myself wanting for a nicer interior. I do have a couple of small annoyances… the lack of contrast on the instrument panels in the daytime and the sliding armrest bug me a bit. Otherwise, I quite like the interior. One other annoyance, mainly because it drives me nuts, is that you can’t turn off the rear sensor “beeping” when you get close to something. That was dumb BMW. Oh, and while I’m on the topic, the seats are definitely not as nice to look at as in the M4 but they are almost as supportive when pushing the car and, for me anyway, more comfortable for daily driving as the padding is a tad softer. I also like being able to adjust the thigh support. If the padding were a tad firmer, they would be just as supportive at the track as the M4 seats… I’d say the M4 seats are a 9/10 and the M2 are an 8/10 for support.

On to the important driving part…

After I first drove the M2 the day I picked it up, my initial feeling was nervousness around my decision to trade the M4. I found myself wondering whether I had made a mistake. I think there was a couple of reasons for this. First, the M4 has more power and this is especially true with the aggressive DCT gearing in the M4 compared to the 6MT in my M2. Going into the M2, I noticed this right away… it felt less powerful. Now, keep in mind I had my 4 year old with me and the car had 20km on it so I wasn’t exactly pushing hard. However, it still felt noticeably down on power. Hmmm… not sure about that and I started to worry a bit. Although I have never been someone who overemphasizes power (and dumb stop light racing), I have become accustomed to decent power in my C63, C7 and M4. All silly fast cars… and all faster in a straight line than the M2.

Fast forward to today. Let me start by saying that I am NOT worrying any longer

I have put many hours into the car now and have had the chance to push it pretty hard. There are a number of deserted and very twisty and challenging back roads that I frequent in my cars that I know well. Although it isn’t the same as a track day, I am able to challenge the car enough to have a very good feel for its character, its ability and its limits. I have found that my experience on the twisty back roads translate very well to how I actually find a car behaves at the track. So with the caveat that I haven’t had a track day in the M2 yet, here are my comments on the performance attributes of the M2 vs other cars I’ve owned…

Power and power delivery

The M2 has lot of grunt and pull. It is very linear in delivery and I sense little to no lag. Maybe a tad of lag after gear shifts but I bet that is nonexistent in the DCT version of the car. It also has lots of pull all the way through the rev range to the limiter. The car feels like it is building power constantly. It definitely feels down on power to the M4 and the M4 would walk away from the M2. No surprise here. However, I actually find the M2 has a smoother, more linear and more “naturally aspirated” character to its power delivery and responsiveness versus the M4. I would actually compare the power delivery of the M2 to my C7 Stingray. Linear and full of torque all the way to redline. It is also very easy to put the power down. The M2 doesn’t break traction as easily (not surprisingly given it is down on torque but I think it is more than just that) and I think this actually allows the M2 to make up some ground on the M4 in real life situations. That is, I can put my foot down sooner coming out of a corner in the M2 and, therefore, make up some of the ground that will be lost in the straight to the M4. On a shorter, more technical track, I think this will be meaningful (and shows in some of the tested results). This may be blasphemy, but I actually prefer the “feel” of the M2’s engine to the M4 notwithstanding it is less powerful. Yes, the S55 has more potential, more power, more flexibility, etc. but I actually like the “feel” of the N55 in the M2… it’s not as peaky and sounds way better (more on that later).

The M2 feels more like the E92 M3 with the exception that it has far more torque. As mentioned, putting power down coming out of a corner is a lot easier in the M2 and far more confidence inspiring.

Steering

I find the M2 and M4 to be very similar in feel overall. The M2 has slightly better responsiveness around center but, otherwise, they are very similar. I’ll caveat this by saying that I have always liked the M4 steering feel and I like the M2 equally as much.

Handling and chassis

The M2 is a monster. It grips and grips. It is so responsive and is so easy to point and shoot. In a steady, sweeping corner, I think the M4 would have better ultimate grip but that is the only place it might have an edge on the M2. Handling and “tossability” is where the M2 “feels” way smaller and lighter than the M4. I have no idea what the physics/engineering are behind this but the car feels far smaller and nimbler. It is super responsive to steering input and just much more eager to change directions. Almost “darty” in behavior. No understeer… the front simply turns in with authority. The back end is very planted. Mid corner bumps don’t unsettle the chassis and I haven’t found any rear end “hop” like I had on the M4 (which, by the way, was better than the E92 M3 in this regard). The rear in the C7 Z51 was exceptionally planted and much moreso than my M4. The M2 is as planted as the C7 and gives you a lot of driving confidence… maybe more than you should actually have… but it also never felt like the car was going to bite me when I wasn’t expecting it. I have a very sensitive butt in cars and feel movement in the rear end well and controlling the back of the M2 with your right foot is not hard.

The M2 is very settled, very controllable and very confidence inspiring. It feels smaller, relative to the M4, than it actually is. This is my second favourite characteristic of the M2. The chassis balance and handling prowess of the M2 really explains why it is as fast or even faster than it’s more powerful sibling on many tracks. It feels more like a go kart than its bigger sibling.

Sound

The sound of the M2 is my favourite thing It sounds amazing in Sport+ mode. It’s not much, if at all, louder than my M4 but it sounds SO much better. It sounds deeper, smoother and more refined… both the engine and the exhaust. There isn’t the metallic tone of the M4. I always liked the M4 sound (and still do) but the M2 is much better IMO. I would put it on par with my NA V8 Corvette. It is really that good. It was quiet the first day or so but after that the sound really opened up and especially when the car is fully warm.

Yes, sound is subjective but the M2 is great in this regard and the best of any BMW I have driven. If I ranked my last few cars in order of sound, it would be C7 > M2 = C63 > M4. The M2 sounds a lot like a V8 in tone and character. This is the first thing everyone notices about the car… how great it sounds for a small 6 cylinder… heck, for any engine type/size!

Fun factor

Again, this is very subjective in nature. However, taking everything into account, the M2 is a very engaging, very VERY fun car. Of all the cars I have owned, I think this is my second favourite (the C7 Z51 Stingray is still my favourite but by a SMALL margin). This car, for me anyway, is more engaging and fun than my M4 was. To be fair, some of this might be the 6MT but I think that is only a small part. It is a combination of the great sound, the small size and the fantastic responsiveness of the chassis. It’s the sensory impact it has overall on the driver. This car is a home run for BMW and the best (for me) M car I have owned. I have not owned an E46 M3 but have been on the track in one and in many ways, the M2 reminds me of an E46 M3 to me but with more power and even better handling/braking.

I do believe the M4 is the better car from an overall performance perspective but when you factor in the subjective considerations, I find the M2 to be the more rewarding and engaging car for me. If someone values power and acceleration, the M4 is the car to get. If someone has long highway commutes or if they want the most luxurious features, the M4 is the car to get. If someone values the subjective things of sound, feel and responsiveness, I think the M2 is a fantastic option. I didn’t realize how big my M4 felt until I drove the M2 a while. The M4, to me, subjectively feels bigger than it actually is compared to the M2. I have no idea why it feels so much like this to me but it does and I had not, before driving the M2, felt the M4 was “too big.” I still don’t feel it is too big but it is bigger than I thought, relatively.

IMO, if you need 4 seats, the M2 is one of the best cars out there today… and, if you factor price, it is maybe the best option available. It has lots of usable torque, has an exceptionally well balanced chassis and sounds just great.

I am so very, very happy I have the M2 despite some initial “did I make a mistake” thoughts. I never keep cars for a long time (hence why I don’t have weird loyalty to one versus another and seem to find lots to love about many cars) but the M2 is a car I could see simply keeping as a fun toy. For me, owning different cars has always been about the experience each bring. The M2 “experience” puts it at the very top of my favourite list of 4 seat cars I have owned and second only to my 2 seat C7 Z51 by a small margin. This is an awesome car!

I want to be clear... I'm not saying the M2 is necessarily a better car than the M4. The M4 is better in many measurable ways and depending on what you want in a car may be the better car for many people. For me, the character, fun factor and toss-ability of the M2 have it high on my personal list. Largely for subjective reasons and everyone's view will vary. If someone is looking for a smaller M3/4, the M2 is a great car without giving up much, if any, performance depending on how you use it.

The journalist reviews raving about the M2 with some calling it the "M3 BMW should have built" are spot on in my opinion. It's a great car for anyone other than those wanting to drag race... in that case, the M3/4 is meaningfully better.

Other stuff

I added the M performance steering wheel and it was one of the best decisions I made. It is way “thicker” than the OEM wheel and I really like that. It comes back to the “feel” and “experience” and was a great addition and highly recommended.

The 6MT in the car is very well executed. The pedal travel is a tad long and light but not so much to be bothersome. The shift action is short, precise and smooth as butter. It is an EASY manual to drive well. The rev matching is fun and works perfectly. I’m a HUGE fan of DCT cars (still am) but I will say that in the M2, the 6MT really is a treat and something I am really, really happy with. It doesn’t help with the sensation of speed (the DCT with its gearing and instant power amplifies the sensation of power) but it is so damn fun!! Again, maybe I’ll just keep the M2 and its 6MT as a toy because it is so fun!

I detailed it yesterday… polished it and coated it. There was less orange peel in the paint than my M4. Not sure if this is from the car being built in a different plant or just luck of the draw. Regardless, I spent about 6 hours on it over two days but the results were great and now she is protected for the summer from elements. I have been thinking about wrapping it… it might be worth it if I plan to keep the car longer term. Need to think on it.

So, I’ll end my LONG rant with a bunch of photos. For those waiting for their M2 to arrive, you are in for a treat and some fun days ahead.

Some photos...

Going to the Port to pick up the car

She's ready for delivery...

Here are some pictures with my much loved M4 being sent back for another lucky person to buy...

Got her home and we had a guest... I really love Sakhir Orange M4's!!

Photos after detailing the car and applying my coating...

Nice fender flare!

M performance steering wheel

Much thicker than OEM!!

2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 07-02-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 32
Jason40107.00
Z3MQP24.00
F1346.50
      07-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Wow! Congrats and great review!
      07-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Very nice review, very nice car. Congrats.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Thanks for the writeup! Nice that it confirms my hopes for the M2, and taking the chance to order without having driven one...
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Nice write up. I believe many were anticipating your review coming from the M4.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Fantastic to read this write up.

Congratulations on the car. Many thanks also for the wheel comparison!

Damn my 3 month wait just gets longer
      07-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Amazing write up. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Nice review! Where did you get the steering wheel and was it hard to install?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT with the great MPE

Thank you for that great M2 review !

My SA told me that the car will not deliver its full potential power before the 2,000 KM break in service. So, have you notice a lack of power over 4,500 RPM ?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Absolute blasphemy! . I mean really , no one actually really thinks the M2 in any situation for even an instant could be better than an M4..

Your are just justifying your purchase and you couldn't afford the M3/M4 ... ( I've seen people post that, so it must be true ! ).

It's either that or you are now becoming a car journalist.

And of course your opinion is wholly invalid because you haven't been on the track in your M2 !

I don't want to though. :
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
Nice review! Where did you get the steering wheel and was it hard to install?
Dealer got it and installed it so it was easy for me I don't think they are available in the US yet but Canada can, for some reason, get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Absolute blasphemy! . I mean really , no one actually really thinks the M2 in any situation for even an instant could be better than an M4..

Your are just justifying your purchase and you couldn't afford the M3/M4 ... ( I've seen people post that, so it must be true ! ).

It's either that or you are now becoming a car journalist.

And of course your opinion is wholly invalid because you haven't been on the track in your M2 !

I don't want to though. :
It's funny, I was actually thinking this exact same thing when I was writing my thoughts out.

Just to get out in front of some of those inevitable comments, let me clarify for those who need it.....

I actually took the car to my "proving grounds" where I can push it very hard before deciding to post this. I have hundreds of track hours in a number of cars and I actually think I'm relatively good at getting a sense for the car's true ability on the right back road even though I'm not quite at the car's limit. But, as you point out, I was thinking that many will discount my opinion (even though it is just MY opinion) because I wasn't actually at a track... even though most of them will NEVER be at a track anyway

You know, I actually would love to be an auto journalist... how cool would that job be!! The problem is then I actually wouldn't be able to afford the M4 I just sold after two years of ownership (or the C7 Z51, or the C63 coupe, or my two E92 M3's).

Some may not believe me but I don't keep cars long enough to feel the need to "justify my purchase" Had my initial concern remained after a few weeks of ownership, I would have sold the M2 and bought something else Life is FAR too short to hold onto a car you don't really like if there is a better option you could have. If I wanted my M4 back, I'd have my M4 back That doesn't mean I won't want another some day but, today, the M2 is the better car for me given what I'm looking for in a car.

Last edited by gthal; 07-05-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Great write up and insightful comparison,makes the wait just that little bit longer
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

One more quick photo showing the cars very nice hips

LBB really shows the lines off very well
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #15
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

Beautiful...seeing this makes me even more anxious for my LLB to get to port and on the train
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 MW/SO

Great review Heath and congrats on the new car! Curious if you've been ignoring the break-in RPM limit or does the M2 have the same recommended 5500 rpm limit as the M3/M4 ??
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #17
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal

Great perspective. Having seen only a couple of them in person it's hard to get those hips to show in pictures. Congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

What a great review! I really enjoyed that. You have owned some nice cars, so this review just reinforces what a fun car the M2 is.

The M4 is a great car, but to me, the M2 is the perfect size for a sport coupe. And I love the wide rear fender and bulldog stance!

The M Perf. steering wheel pics are nice...that thing is juicy! Another good thing about the M2 is that BMW knows that many are going to mod it to death. The car already comes at a great price (if there is no dealer up charge), so it does leave room to really personalize your car. I am now very interested in that steering wheel after your pics...
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #19
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable read, thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2016, 05:24 AM   #20
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by force4rmr View Post
Great review Heath and congrats on the new car! Curious if you've been ignoring the break-in RPM limit or does the M2 have the same recommended 5500 rpm limit as the M3/M4 ??
I can't answer that question without possibly incriminating myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #21
force4rmr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I can't answer that question without possibly incriminating myself.
Ok guess I'll have to read between the lines then...or in this case, between the "red lines" !!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
What a great review! I really enjoyed that. You have owned some nice cars, so this review just reinforces what a fun car the M2 is.

The M4 is a great car, but to me, the M2 is the perfect size for a sport coupe. And I love the wide rear fender and bulldog stance!

The M Perf. steering wheel pics are nice...that thing is juicy! Another good thing about the M2 is that BMW knows that many are going to mod it to death. The car already comes at a great price (if there is no dealer up charge), so it does leave room to really personalize your car. I am now very interested in that steering wheel after your pics...
Are you back on the M2 bandwagon? I know you were looking at other options like a 718 CS etc. Are you on a dealer list?
Appreciate 0