BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > R&T 13 Best under $100k

05-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

R&T 13 Best under $100k

Of course the M2 is on the list. More accolades, now SUCK IT HATERS!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...00000-dollars/
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I like the last sentence.
Attached Images

VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

They're lying...it's all about:

Caterham 620

And oh boy, won't there be any storage for 3 bananas and a Snickers.

[/thread]

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Good list. Although I would definitely put the GT4 in that list over a bunch of those cars.

In fact, that omission is pretty stupid of Road and Track... The Cayman is one of the best driver's cars out there, and they didn't include the GT version of it on their list.

Yet, they included a base 911 with the new turbo engines when the GT4 is as fast, has an NA engine, more HP, and is the better driver's car overall, and costs couple grand less.
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Good list. Although I would definitely put the GT4 in that list over a bunch of those cars.

In fact, that omission is pretty stupid of Road and Track... The Cayman is one of the best driver's cars out there, and they didn't include the GT version of it on their list.

Yet, they included a base 911 with the new turbo engines when the GT4 is as fast, has an NA engine, more HP, and is the better driver's car overall, and costs couple grand less.
True.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:

I think they were trying to spread the love around, and chose the base 911 to represent Porsche sports cars... poor choice over the GT4 I agree. Not sure why Mercedes gets multilple positions though.

Great to see the M2 on the list, and the most affordable by a long shot! You can see why it (and the GT350R) are so hard to find.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:

Was this list just for cars that were new in 2016? Maybe that's why the GT4 wasn't on there?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Was this list just for cars that were new in 2016? Maybe that's why the GT4 wasn't on there?
If I am not mistaken, some of those cars came out last year...like the C63S sedan. The C63S I believe came out around the same time I got my GT4 last year.

Also, the F Type S doesn't even have a year in front of it. So, I am guessing it is recent cars, but not necessarily just from this year. Good point though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
I think they were trying to spread the love around, and chose the base 911 to represent Porsche sports cars... poor choice over the GT4 I agree. Not sure why Mercedes gets multilple positions though.

Great to see the M2 on the list, and the most affordable by a long shot! You can see why it (and the GT350R) are so hard to find.
Yeah, I was thinking this might be the main reason. They are just trying to cover different types of cars. Magazines these days are just big advertisements anyway..haha! But I do agree with a bunch of cars on that list. The M2 and GT350 make a lot of sense, for example. I also noticed... no M3/M4! I may be wrong, but it seems a bunch of media actually like the AMG offering better. This might be a first! Although, the ZCP F80/F82 would be the better comparison nowadays...

As for the Americans: Z06, Viper, GT350, CTS-V, Model S... I definitely agree with these... great cars. Too bad the Viper is being discontinued. I loved that car...

For SUV: I would rather have a Macan GTS over the Cayenne GTS... I have never driven one, but I can imagine a Macan GTS being a blast for its particular platform.

Last edited by csbear; 05-22-2016 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden
Of course the M2 is on the list. More accolades, now SUCK IT HATERS!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...00000-dollars/
Kinda scary only two cars under 65k on that list
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

I'm curious why my Macan GTS or my Cayman GT4 didn't make it on there? Not being bias just realistic lol .

I'm glad to hear others think highly on the M2 as well. The car was more than what I had expected therefore I'm planning to get one. Hopefully June we will hear some news.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I'm curious why my Macan GTS or my Cayman GT4 didn't make it on there? Not being bias just realistic lol .

I'm glad to hear others think highly on the M2 as well. The car was more than what I had expected therefore I'm planning to get one. Hopefully June we will hear some news.
How is the Macan GTS? If I were to go SUV as my next ride, I'd go for that quick!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How is the Macan GTS? If I were to go SUV as my next ride, I'd go for that quick!
I love it. It brakes flat like a sports car and not much body roll. Just the limits are much lower than a sports car but it drives like a super sporty car. Mine has PTV and I do not know if its not as sharp without. I took a faster turn onto the highway and when I thought it was going to understeer the vehicle just turned in. It didn't feel normal so I'm thinking that was PTV at work.

Much more composed than the 335M. It doesn't bobble, which I hate on any car. What shocked me is how quiet and smooth the vehicle is. The bose is pretty good mainly due to the quiet cabin. After realizing this SUV being so good and quiet, if I were to buy again I'd consider Burmesister and noise insulated glass. The Macan definitely feels more upper class than my F80 did. The brakes are strong and feels more like the F80 vs the perfect typical Porsche brake feel. Disappointed slightly but more than acceptable especially since it's not a car.

I'm not a fan of SUV until I drove the Macan. I would guess only the GLA45 would be the closest competitor and having selling my CLA45 due to the lack of steering, brakes feel with the most horrid tranny it is not even an option. Also the interior on the CLA is lacking with all that plastic and aftermarket screen.

Regarding this 13 best I would like to hear R&T response on why the GT4 is not even on their 13 best? I'm really curious.

Last edited by gtr; 05-25-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
I love it. It brakes flat like a sports car and not much body roll. Just the limits are much lower than a sports car but it drives like a super sporty car. Mine has PTV and I do not know if its not as sharp without. I took a faster turn onto the highway and when I thought it was going to understeer the vehicle just turned in. It didn't feel normal so I'm thinking that was PTV at work.

Much more composed than the 335M. It doesn't bobble, which I hate on any car. What shocked me is how quiet and smooth the vehicle is. The bose is pretty good mainly due to the quiet cabin. After realizing this SUV being so good and quiet, if I were to buy again I'd consider Burmesister and noise insulated glass. The Macan definitely feels more upper class than my F80 did. The brakes are strong and feels more like the F80 vs the perfect typical Porsche brake feel. Disappointed slightly but more than acceptable especially since it's not a car.

I'm not a fan of SUV until I drove the Macan. I would guess only the GLA45 would be the closest competitor and having selling my CLA45 due to the lack of steering, brakes feel with the most horrid tranny it is not even an option. Also the interior on the CLA is lacking with all that plastic and aftermarket screen.

Regarding this 13 best I would like to hear R&T response on why the GT4 is not even on their 13 best? I'm really curious.
Thanks for the feedback. Since you have a GT4 (and I used to have one), it is nice to hear another's perspective on cars/SUVs. I am a hater of SUVs, but the Macan does hold my interest if I decide to go more practical this time around. I also actually really like how it looks. If we are talking 4-door Porsches, it is better looking than the Cayenne and Panamera I believe. It also helps that I hear many others say good things about the Macan as well...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #14
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Since you have a GT4 (and I used to have one), it is nice to hear another's perspective on cars/SUVs. I am a hater of SUVs, but the Macan does hold my interest if I decide to go more practical this time around. I also actually really like how it looks. If we are talking 4-door Porsches, it is better looking than the Cayenne and Panamera I believe. It also helps that I hear many others say good things about the Macan as well...
Did you sell your GT4 due to markups? The Macan GTS is great but you should wait for the Turbo S. The GTS is adequate but I would like more power. Basically,in the 12.5s quarter miles range. I have high hope that the Macan can be the ultimate daily driver. I'm surprised magazine doesn't have an award on car that excels in everything. Snow, track, grocery, comfort and luxury.

I am truly puzzles on why the GT4 is not best under 100k. Hopefully someone will ask R&T to comment because I cannot think of a reason why not. I bought lots of cars under 100k and the GT4 is by far the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #15
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

I am truly puzzles on why the GT4 is not best under 100k. Hopefully someone will ask R&T to comment because I cannot think of a reason why not. I bought lots of cars under 100k and the GT4 is by far the best.
This omission didn't make any sense to me either...how can the GT4 NOT be on this list?
      05-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #16
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Did you sell your GT4 due to markups?
My wife and I are buying our first home, so unfortunately a readjustment of priorities for now. However, I will definitely consider another GT4 in the future. Loved that car...
Appreciate 0