F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i finally here... and new bumper cover
GetBMWParts

05-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
nebatuga
Rep
Drives: 16 340i

340i finally here... and new bumper cover

So, I ordered a 340i 6mt back in March. I won't go into the details of the experience in working with my dealership. Suffice it to say, it hasn't been a great experience. Two months later, and cutting to today, the car's in, getting all set for delivery tomorrow morning.

Get a call from CA just now; he tells me that a prep guy took it to fill with gas, and on the return back to the dealership, at a red light, someone rolled back into the bumper of my car and took off ... "there is no damage to the metal, only the plastic bumper cover." No accident report.

They have a new plastic bumper cover on order, which will take several days to arrive, then off to a body shop to "match the paint" and they'll put that on a week later. That's their offer to rectify the situation... put a painted bumper on a brand new car. Tells me no one will be the wiser.

I'm beyond frustrated. I'm supposed to show up tomorrow and tell them whether I want to wait another week or so, or take delivery and bring it back for a "new" bumper. Does anyone know of my options? I sure could use some guidance. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
vp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 430GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebatuga
So, I ordered a 340i 6mt back in March. I won't go into the details of the experience in working with my dealership. Suffice it to say, it hasn't been a great experience. Two months later, and cutting to today, the car's in, getting all set for delivery tomorrow morning.

Get a call from CA just now; he tells me that a prep guy took it to fill with gas, and on the return back to the dealership, at a red light, someone rolled back into the bumper of my car and took off ... "there is no damage to the metal, only the plastic bumper cover." No accident report.

They have a new plastic bumper cover on order, which will take several days to arrive, then off to a body shop to "match the paint" and they'll put that on a week later. That's their offer to rectify the situation... put a painted bumper on a brand new car. Tells me no one will be the wiser.

I'm beyond frustrated. I'm supposed to show up tomorrow and tell them whether I want to wait another week or so, or take delivery and bring it back for a "new" bumper. Does anyone know of my options? I sure could use some guidance. Thanks in advance.
I'm curious to know which dealership you are working with since I am in GA as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

I would definitely have them throw in some M performance parts for your inconvenience or at the very least a nice loaner to use that is if you decide to take the offer.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
nebatuga
Rep

Athens BMW. I'm already frustrated because I asked about performance center delivery at the time I ordered, and wanted to know when was the last date during the order process I needed to decide PCD or dealership. CA said he'd be in touch. I heard nothing until I found out it was coming to dealership... which was fine at this point... I just wanted the car after waiting so long. I guess my CA forgot about the PCD option, and I didn't think it was my job to remind him.

Last edited by nebatuga; 05-12-2016 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
PappyVR4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

The car now already has reduced value before you've received it. I would do some research on the now reduced value and have them cut you a check for the difference. If they refuse, then bring the issue to BMW NA.

Also, the story sounds fishy. I would put money on the prep guy backing into something and not wanting to own up to it. Not to mention, how do you even know that the bumper as a whole wasn't compromised? They need to replace the whole bumper assembly, not just the cover. Oh, and ask to see the removed pieces afterwards for confirmation.

On the plus side, while non-factoy paint isn't usually as durable, you don't really have to worry about chips on the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
I hope he won't ask you for an all 10 rating on the survey when you pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I think OP is talking front bumper where one does have to worry about paint chips. They are not delivering what you paid for, namely a new undamaged car. Each situation is different but if my delivery went this way I'd want them to order me up a new car or give a substantial price reduction. Sorry you are having this trouble OP.
      05-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

At the very least, I would insist on a written 12 year warranty on the paint onot the bumper to match the rust warranty. Plus they owe you $ of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
nebatuga
Rep

Yeah, it's the front bumper. I learned, according to GA law, that if the pre-delivery damage is more than $500, they have to report it. Even if it weren't mandated, I would have found out tomorrow morning when I went to pick it up.

I don't know much about bodyshop work, but I would think the durability, paint color match, and resistance to chips would not be the same over time. Better the plastic front bumper than sheet metal. Still, Carfax report or not, I definitely would inform anyone interested in buying the car down the line about the car's full history-- that's just the right thing to do-- and that's gotta be a strike against the car's value.

I special ordered this 340i with just the options I wanted and put down a $1K deposit. I guess I could just tell them I want an undamaged new car... order another one... and wait another two months, hoping the same financing terms (0.9%) and incentives would apply. I also want to catch a 2016 model for the maintenance/warranty package. Ugh.

Thanks for the ideas. Much appreciated.

Last edited by nebatuga; 05-13-2016 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Some (many?) cars are slightly damaged in shipment before getting to the dealership; and repaired by BMW before they release the car to the dealer. Most times no one is the wiser. Just saying.

As to demanding a new car? I don't think so. It will repaired so you won't know the difference and should be the end of it. Reduced value for a bumper scratch? Na.

Last edited by tuco44; 05-12-2016 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
nebatuga
Rep

I don't think we're talking just a scratch, although I haven't seen the damage yet.

A scratch is one thing, but replacing the plastic front bumper all the way around the car, front wheel well to front wheel well, and having a local body shop try to match the paint? That sounds like a bigger deal than just a scratch...

What's the dealership out if they order another one? If it's no big deal, maybe they should just sell this particular car themselves, as new/undamaged. If they didn't inform another potential buyer about the damage, then I would have a problem with the way they conduct business.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Are you leasing or buying? If leasing, have them fix it and ask for some extra goodies - all weather mats, spoiler, clear bra. If you purchased and are picky about your cars you might want to have the dealer order you another car and ask for some extra options to be included.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #13
drdave
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

While I have heard that some cars are damaged during shipping, they are usually repaired by BMW at the port. The quality of repair work at the port is BMW manufacturing level, as I understand it. While there are some great body shops out there, I don't know that one ever gets that level of quality out of any body shop. Just doesn't seem right to have your new baby damaged before you even see it. In my opinion, the dealership has to make it right by throwing in extras, cutting you a check that makes the pain go away, or order you a new car (granted, that isn't likely).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
PappyVR4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I think OP is talking front bumper where one does have to worry about paint chips....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebatuga View Post
Yeah, it's the front bumper.
Oh, whoops. I misread the post. Good luck in your dealings.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

It may not affect this situation much but the dealers story sounds funny, car in front rolled back and did fairly substantial damage then drove off but no police report was filed? OP I think you are in a strong position to make some demands. Like I said before, you paid for a new undamaged car, not a car fresh from the body shop. I did a special order also and the wait was hell, I hope you get a satisfactory outcome on this part of your purchase, trust me the car is worth the trouble you are going through and I'm guessing you will have forgot all about this crap about the same time you finish your break in period.
      05-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Many such things happened without customer's knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #17
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek
I think OP is talking front bumper where one does have to worry about paint chips. They are not delivering what you paid for, namely a new undamaged car. Each situation is different but if my delivery went this way I'd want them to order me up a new car or give a substantial price reduction. Sorry you are having this trouble OP.
Agreed
      05-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #18
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

This should be obvious but I call BS on the dealer's story. None of it sounds right and is most likely nothing more than a bad attempt at covering up somebody's epic f-up of the day.

I would demand to see the damage before they start removing evidence of their mistake.
      05-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #19
nebatuga
Rep

So I thought to drive by the dealer after hours to see if the car was outside. It was. I took a pic on an iphone at night. Turns out, not as bad as I imagined, but still not undamaged. I'm just not satisfied with the idea of pulling the plastic shell, repainting at a body shop, reattaching, and calling it good as new. Sorry about the pic quality, but it gives you the idea.

One idea is to ask them to replace to factory specs in Spartanburg, where I believe the car was prepped off the ship before heading to dealership. I mean, as drdave above points out... at least then it's sort of factory fixed?

Oh, and by the way, at night time, on the lot, the car is beautiful, for sure! The car was actually unlocked, so I had the chance to sit inside, and the ash trim is really, really nice.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by nebatuga; 05-13-2016 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #20
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebatuga View Post
So I thought to drive by the dealer after hours to see if the car was outside. It was. I took a pic on an iphone at night. Turns out, not as bad as I imagined, but still not undamaged. I'm just not satisfied with the idea of pulling the plastic shell, repainting at a body shop, reattaching, and calling it good as new. Sorry about the pic quality, but it gives you the idea.

One idea is to ask them to replace to factory specs in Spartanburg, where I believe the car was prepped off the ship before heading to dealership. I mean, as drdave above points out... at least then it's sort of factory fixed?

Oh, and by the way, at night time, on the lot, the car is beautiful, for sure! The car was actually unlocked, so I had the chance to sit inside, and the ash trim is really, really nice.

Thoughts?
It doesn't look too bad but I wouldn't want a body shop paint matched car.
Can't they order factory painted bumper? I would ask for compensation on the extra wait and trouble.

Hope this goes well for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #21
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

The car was unlocked after hours at the dealer...wow they are not careful at any point are they...good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #22
nebatuga
Rep

Spent three hours at the dealership. I made it clear I didn't want a local bodyshop painted bumper on a brand new 50K plus car. They made some calls to see if they could send the bumper to the delivery center in Spartangburg... midway between port and dealership... so that I could at least tell others that it was factory fixed. Apparently can't be done. Their position was they were correcting the problem, and I should be satisfied.

They did offer to order another car. I told them I'd like the same vehicle, same offer... only I'd like to add the drivers assistance plus package (retail $1700) to the order this time. I also asked for $1500 dollars for the screw up and starting the process all over again. Their concession was they'd give me the additional package at "cost." "Cost" or at invoice is what we agreed on originally, so I didn't see this as much of a concession. The $1500 discount would have been some sort of compensation for the fact that they screwed up my car. They said they couldn't do that.

I walked. Basically their stance was take the repaired car as new or order at the same "deal" you could have had two months ago, and begin the whole routine over again.

I have a lead on an Atlanta salesperson. Will probably place a new order through him. In the end, I feel bummed that the car was damaged, but good that I did what I felt was right.

Really, thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited by nebatuga; 05-14-2016 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 3