F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rear door panel removal?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Rear door panel removal?

I've searched but could not find any DIY for removing rear door panels in an F30. Does anyone know of one and can point me in the right direction?
      05-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

The inside door trim panel? If so, check bavsound.com they have a long detailed video to show how to replace the speakers which includes the door card removal.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea
The inside door trim panel? If so, check bavsound.com they have a long detailed video to show how to replace the speakers which includes the door card removal.
Their rear door video isn't very complete.
      05-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Did you watch the removal of the front?

Are you missing a screw or something?
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Bavsound video is helpful, but they kind of gloss over certain things.

First you want to remove the trim cover on the door pull. You absolutely need plastic trim tools to do panel work. On the lower edge of the handle, there is a small gap. This is where you need to pry it off carefully. Use a tool to get it started and carefully pull the trim off. Use your fingers once you get started since they won't mar the surface.

Once the cover is off, use your torx driver to remove the screws.

Once that's done you pry the panel off. Start at the very bottom and get it started with a trim tool. Make a gap big enough to squeeze your fingers into than use your hands to yank out the lower plastic fasteners. Pull straight back away from the door. Once you get started, work your way around the panel. They literally pop out. Do the top last as it doesn't require much force and the connectors are different. Be careful not to lose the little rubber gaskets that are on the plastic fasteners. Sometimes they remain stuck to the metal surface of the door.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may not have to disconnect any of the wires between the panel and the door. If you do, the rear doors are the easiest to get off. The wiring harness to the front door window controls is a pain to disconnect and I would suggest working around it and leaving it connected.

Ask any questions here...I've had mine off a couple times. It's not hard once you've done it.

Worst step? Putting the handle covers back on.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan
Bavsound video is helpful, but they kind of gloss over certain things.

First you want to remove the trim cover on the door pull. You absolutely need plastic trim tools to do panel work. On the lower edge of the handle, there is a small gap. This is where you need to pry it off carefully. Use a tool to get it started and carefully pull the trim off. Use your fingers once you get started since they won't mar the surface.

Once the cover is off, use your torx driver to remove the screws.

Once that's done you pry the panel off. Start at the very bottom and get it started with a trim tool. Make a gap big enough to squeeze your fingers into than use your hands to yank out the lower plastic fasteners. Pull straight back away from the door. Once you get started, work your way around the panel. They literally pop out. Do the top last as it doesn't require much force and the connectors are different. Be careful not to lose the little rubber gaskets that are on the plastic fasteners. Sometimes they remain stuck to the metal surface of the door.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may not have to disconnect any of the wires between the panel and the door. If you do, the rear doors are the easiest to get off. The wiring harness to the front door window controls is a pain to disconnect and I would suggest working around it and leaving it connected.

Ask any questions here...I've had mine off a couple times. It's not hard once you've done it.

Worst step? Putting the handle covers back on.
Thank you. I have the rear window shades so I was wondering how that complicated things. I'm removing the panels so I can upgrade the LED module that lights the ambient strip. I know you can remove that module without fully removing the door panel but I want to make sure I don't snap the light strip in the process.
      05-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Haha...I'm doing the same thing once I get some time. I have the newer/brighter LED modules for the fronts. I'm going to experiment with the ones I remove...try different/brighter LEDs etc.

How does the shade attach? I've never seen them before? I would still say start popping off on the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan
Haha...I'm doing the same thing once I get some time. I have the newer/brighter LED modules for the fronts. I'm going to experiment with the ones I remove...try different/brighter LEDs etc.

How does the shade attach? I've never seen them before? I would still say start popping off on the bottom.
TBH I'm not sure. I'd rather not break anything else (broke a couple tabs on front passenger wood trim).
      05-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
For me the hardest part was to remove the door handle trim. Broken tabs on both trims and had to crazy glue some tabs when reinstalling. Bavsound video looks way too easy. Once the trim is removed, then the rest is as like the Bavsound video.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125
For me the hardest part was to remove the door handle trim. Broken tabs on both trims and had to crazy glue some tabs when reinstalling. Bavsound video looks way too easy. Once the trim is removed, then the rest is as like the Bavsound video.
No way I would even try and glue broken tabs. That's just asking for infinite rattle chasing.