F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I just got flipped off!
ARMA SPEED

05-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I just got flipped off!

So just now I'm driving home with my wife after a nice dinner. Just cruising in the right lane on an empty 3-lane local road, no hurry. Then this guy comes whizzing up on my left and tries to cut me off.

But it's one of those deals where he realizes that he's actually going to crush my front quarter panel so he swerves back into his lane at the same I hit the brakes. A couple seconds later he tries again and cuts in front of me successfully this time and proceeds to drive even slower than I was going in the first place.

Since I'm feeling all chill I just follow the guy at a normal distance and a few minutes later he gets in a right turn lane and as I'm passing he flips me off! My wife and I were all "WTF was that all about????"

Soooo many crazy people on the road!
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

people are unpredictable and irrational at times. Just be glad he didnt hit your car panel or worse cause an accident. It will only get worse in the future, and although i love driving and am an enthusiast we need more autonomous cars doing the driving and not crazy people. Just forget about that ass and enjoy your car!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Gotta love driving Bmw. Lots of haters out there.
Appreciate 9
      05-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Funny...I was just thinking something like this today after it seemed like every car in front of me decided to pull over to park without signaling or was driving 10 mph under the speed limit. I'm not going to say I'm the super star driver or real aggressive fast guy, but, man, it feels like at least 40% of the drivers out there have big deficiencies.
      05-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Pure jealousy. Last weekend the wife and I were coming back from Newport and I got flipped off 3 times during the 20 minute ride back. The thought of getting to someone so badly that they feel it's necessary to flip me the bird brings a smile to my face. I really get a kick out of it.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

If you see someone drive like an asshole, chances are they will behave like an asshole in general too. So if you see another twat like that in the future just throw all expecation of common decency out the window on the spot, so you won't be fazed by whatever stupidity that may follow.
Appreciate 3
      05-07-2016, 01:36 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

We live in a world where when somebody sees you're driving a BMW they just assume you're an a:&/)-hole. I always thought the same of BMW drivers until I became an owner myself. It is shocking the amount of hate I get on the car. I can be driving down the freeway minding my own business and people cut me off for no reason. It happens in traffic, in parking lots, and on the bridge. It happens all the time. I have no idea why people treat me the same way I treat a Prius driver. This never happens in any of my other vehicles. :
Appreciate 4
      05-07-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

I got a dashcam just for cases like this...
You never know when you might need one :|
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
Dash cam here too. Living in Atlanta traffic/drivers are insane but BMW's are everywhere, especially 3 series. On my drive home from work yesterday, I saw a b7 alpina, i8 and a red Ferrari. The Ferrari was on the side of the road getting put on a flatbed truck.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded
We live in a world where when somebody sees you're driving a BMW they just assume you're an a:&/)-hole. I always thought the same of BMW drivers until I became an owner myself. It is shocking the amount of hate I get on the car. I can be driving down the freeway minding my own business and people cut me off for no reason. It happens in traffic, in parking lots, and on the bridge. It happens all the time. I have no idea why people treat me the same way I treat a Prius driver. This never happens in any of my other vehicles. :
Like you said, you had the same stereotype, so karma is coming back to you. Makes one wonder why you ultimately purchased the "asshole car"? :

Think the problem with the BMWs is that the cars almost seem attainable since there looks like so many are out there, but for the lame flaccid ass in the Camry or Honda minivan, or Kia whatever, our cars are still out of their reach. This can indeed fuck with you.

However, I haven't prevented anyone from achieving anything. Maybe just a little more education, or a little more hard work and they'd be there. But that's just it, they just won't do what it takes, so they hate.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control

Last edited by rolltidef32; 05-07-2016 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's weird because in my area a BMW is basically a Camry, like Rolltide always says. It's pretty common to see Bentleys, Ferraris, Porsches, AMGs, etc, running around. I was surprised because these types of things just don't happen to me - I drive fast, but generally in a courteous and inconspicuous way. Oh well, who knows what bee got up that guys bonnet.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
Funny, I was thinking "damn I wish I had a dashcam" when it was happening!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #13
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil
So just now I'm driving home with my wife after a nice dinner. Just cruising in the right lane on an empty 3-lane local road, no hurry. Then this guy comes whizzing up on my left and tries to cut me off.

But it's one of those deals where he realizes that he's actually going to crush my front quarter panel so he swerves back into his lane at the same I hit the brakes. A couple seconds later he tries again and cuts in front of me successfully this time and proceeds to drive even slower than I was going in the first place.

Since I'm feeling all chill I just follow the guy at a normal distance and a few minutes later he gets in a right turn lane and as I'm passing he flips me off! My wife and I were all "WTF was that all about????"

This why I carry a gun.
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
This why I carry a gun.
Some here are going to flame you for that statement.

But I agree with you. Never my intention to start anything; in fact, I never do/have.

Just never seems to be a shortage of crazies out there who are willing to do God only knows what. Since we have the Stand Your Ground laws here, popping a guy for acting an ass in a threatening manner is a proper response. Really does keep guys from going too far down here.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #15
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
This why I carry a gun.
Some here are going to flame you for that statement.

But I agree with you. Never my intention to start anything; in fact, I never do/have.

Just never seems to be a shortage of crazies out there who are willing to do God only knows what. Since we have the Stand Your Ground laws here, popping a guy for acting an ass in a threatening manner is a proper response. Really does keep guys from going too far down here.
I know people are going to go off about my statement. But I carry it discreetly, and never had to pull it out yet. But better safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #16
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Another reason, I installed front and rear camera system. Records video, geo position, speed and time.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #17
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
It's weird because in my area a BMW is basically a Camry, like Rolltide always says. It's pretty common to see Bentleys, Ferraris, Porsches, AMGs, etc, running around. I was surprised because these types of things just don't happen to me - I drive fast, but generally in a courteous and inconspicuous way. Oh well, who knows what bee got up that guys bonnet.
Just don't get popped for criminal speeding. It's easy to do in AZ.

My good buddy is a defense attorney there and has had to deal with fellow BMW brethren led away in handcuffs for exceeding 85mph.
      05-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post

it's were you live, surprised he did not pull a gun and start shooting.
You do have a lot of loonies out there.
      05-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

What time of night was it? Anything after 10pm I assume everyone else on the road is drunk and I drive extra cautiously as a result.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #20
tinkz
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
it's were you live, surprised he did not pull a gun and start shooting.
You do have a lot of loonies out there.

Lots of loonies here too, I've experienced people being dicks because I choose to drive a nice car, and like most normal human beings I'm courteous 99% of the time. I put others attitude down to the fact they don't know me but because i drive a car more expensive than theirs , they think, that I think I'm better than them! which is def not true, but if they want to raise their blood pressure then so be it. Best ignoring them and laughing it off, life is to short to care about whether people approve, Feck them all!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkz View Post
Lots of loonies here too, I've experienced people being dicks because I choose to drive a nice car, and like most normal human beings I'm courteous 99% of the time. I put others attitude down to the fact they don't know me but because i drive a car more expensive than theirs , they think, that I think I'm better than them! which is def not true, but if they want to raise their blood pressure then so be it. Best ignoring them and laughing it off, life is to short to care about whether people approve, Feck them all!!
Got the same today, some prat in a ford fiesta driving right up my arse, crazy , I booted it and 5 mins later there he was again. Mental case.
      05-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I had been driving for 10+ years prior to getting my F30 (my first BMW), since then, I've been flipped off roughly 3 or 4 times.

All of them were for ridiculous reasons. Best one was because I was in a lane at a light turning left and he was going right. The lane is a lane where you can make both a right and left turn. I was in front of him and he was so impatient that he drove on the shoulder, pulled up next to me, screaming and flipped me off then went ahead and turned right.

I just smile and wave when people do that.

I suppose another time was when a woman pulled up next to me at a light and was screaming at me and flipping me off. To this day I have no idea why she was mad at me. I honestly have no idea what I did. I think she mistook me for another driver because I did absolutely nothing notably aggressive.
Appreciate 0