F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lesson learned..
Extreme Powerhouse

05-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Lesson learned..

Edit: Just me being dumb but I'm definitely thankful I got a warning from the officer. Learned from the mistake. Thanks for making me see otherwise. But to be fair, the section where he caught me in the left lane was after me moving over to the left lane because there were truckers on the right shoulder parked.

So after dropping my friend off at the airport (around like 5 am), I'm driving peacefully back just listening to music and trying not to fall asleep. I'm in the left lane and I see a cop in the median so I immediately pull to the right lane. He comes out and starts following me and I just had a feeling that he was bound to try and ruin my day. Lo and behold, he turns on his lights, pulls me over, and proceeds to tell me that he pulled me over because I was driving in the left lane. Apparently I wasn't allowed to do this because a sign about half a mile back prohibited it unless I'm passing another car. I've driven on this same damn highway for about 6+ years. Never been pulled over for this shit. No one in my family has been pulled over for that, nor have any of my friends. He looked all over the car (was driving the family Camry) just trying to find a damn fuking reason to give me a ticket. Thankfully I got off with a warning.

Some background info, I've been pulled over twice in my BMW for no front plate and told to get out of the car during one of those times. I just find it beyond stupid that I get pulled over for this crap. It's obviously because the copper has a suspicion but it's ridiculous. I rarely speed on the highways as is and yet still get pulled over. Sure, I could get a front plate, but half the damn cars here don't have one. And apparently even if I drive a car with a front plate, I'll still get pulled over. Maybe I'm annoyed cause I've been up nearly 24 hours. Rant over.

Has anyone been pulled over for that first reason?

Last edited by BimmerF32_430i; 05-04-2016 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysn View Post
So after dropping my friend off at the airport (around like 5 am), I'm driving peacefully back just listening to music and trying not to fall asleep. I'm in the left lane and I see a cop in the median so I immediately pull to the right lane. He comes out and starts following me and I just had a feeling that he was bound to try and ruin my day. Lo and behold, he turns on his lights, pulls me over, and proceeds to tell me that he pulled me over because I was driving in the left lane. Apparently I wasn't allowed to do this because a sign about half a mile back prohibited it unless I'm passing another car. I've driven on this same damn highway for about 6+ years. Never been pulled over for this shit. No one in my family has been pulled over for that, nor have any of my friends. He looked all over the car (was driving the family Camry) just trying to find a damn fuking reason to give me a ticket. Thankfully I got off with a warning.

Some background info, I've been pulled over twice in my BMW for no front plate and told to get out of the car during one of those times. I just find it beyond stupid that I get pulled over for this crap. It's obviously because the copper has a suspicion but it's ridiculous. I rarely speed on the highways as is and yet still get pulled over. Sure, I could get a front plate, but half the damn cars here don't have one. And apparently even if I drive a car with a front plate, I'll still get pulled over. Maybe I'm annoyed cause I've been up nearly 24 hours. Rant over.

Has anyone been pulled over for that first reason?
Not judging you and the traffic culture in TX, but...

I wish they would enforce this far more often in Maryland.
Appreciate 10
      05-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep

I understand people driving slow in the left lane and pissing others off, but there was literally no one around me. I don't see the point of pulling someone over for that. I typically like to drive in the left when no one is around and especially at night as there's usually deer that come out.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
If you really think you were wrongly ticketed, contest it - go to the agency and tell the clerk you want to contest the citation. That'll bring the officer into court and you can both tell your story to the judge. If the sign said to stay right except to pass, it has no specific time or traffic parameters and you weren't obeying the posted traffic control.

Law enforcement sometimes has campaigns to enforce certain traffic laws in certain locations that are dictated by upper management/local government. Texas is famous for stopping you for no front plates - even happened to me a couple times. Getting you out of the car is to insure the officer's safety and that you aren't carrying contraband, etc. Try doing a ride-along with one of your local agency's officers (city or county) and see what they have to put up with and the risks they take considering the number of bad guys out there. They never know who they're going to encounter. Having spent 10 years in the business, I can guarantee that they're not screwing with you, but are doing their job as directed by their chain of command.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 4
      05-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

+1000

The left lane is the PASSING lane. Best thing about driving overseas is this rule is enforced. OP should have got a ticket and not a warning.
Appreciate 5
      05-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
If you really think you were wrongly ticketed, contest it - go to the agency and tell the clerk you want to contest it. That'll bring the officer into court and you can both tell your story to the judge. Law enforcement sometimes has campaigns to enforce certain laws that are dictated by upper management/local government. Texas is famous for stopping you for no front plates. Getting you out of the car is to insure the officer's safety and that you aren't carrying contraband, etc. Try doing a ride-along with one of your local agency's officers (city or county) and see what they have to put up with and the risks they take considering the number of bad guys out there. They never know who they're going to encounter. Having spent 10 years in the business, I can guarantee that they're not screwing with you, but are doing their job as directed by their chain of command.
That's a really good way to put it. I appreciate the different POV. I think instead of complaining I should look at it from their view and just like you said, see what the have to put up with. I appreciate the response.

It was just me being annoyed that I got pulled over for that. But that does make sense.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin
Quote:

+1000

The left lane is the PASSING lane. Best thing about driving overseas is this rule is enforced. OP should have got a ticket and not a warning.
Yup, and I'm thankful I got the warning as I've definitely learned not to be dumb and drive in the left lane.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Sorry OP, but I think it's awesome that at least one cop out there is letting people know that the left lane isn't for cruising. I wish it was more widely enforced.

If the right lane had terrible paving and the left lane was smooth that would be a good reason for staying left when the road is empty. But barring something like that, I always stay right unless passing.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I understand people driving slow in the left lane and pissing others off, but there was literally no one around me. I don't see the point of pulling someone over for that. I typically like to drive in the left when no one is around and especially at night as there's usually deer that come out.
Quote:
That's a really good way to put it. I appreciate the different POV. I think instead of complaining I should look at it from their view and just like you said, see what the have to put up with. I appreciate the response.

It was just me being annoyed that I got pulled over for that. But that does make sense.
At the end of the day, you were given the benefit of the doubt and that resulted in you receiving a warning. It was an inconvenience, but itcould have been worse. I think that's a pretty reasonable response.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
I haven't been pulled over for that reason, however missing a sign is missing a sign. Up here in Canada, new regulations under the Highway Traffic Act can appear at any time. It is up to the individual motorist to be aware of the law.

Case in point: a few years ago a highway patrolman in Québec was stopped at the side of the road with a speeder. A panel van drove by in the inside lane and the officer was killed by the van's mirror. A new law was put in force: if you see a police/emergency vehicle stopped at the side of the road, you must slow down and move into the other lane if possible. Personally, I think this should apply to all stopped vehicles.

Laws are there for a reason.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

At least by me when I pull up behind someone slow in the left lane I flash my high beams which in my estimation is the appropriate and polite way of saying get the fuck out of my way. 90% of the time the change lanes then flip me off as I pass. Not sure when it became rude to obey traffic laws.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I've been pulled over twice in my BMW for no front plate and told to get out of the car during one of those times. I just find it beyond stupid that I get pulled over for this crap. It's obviously because the copper has a suspicion but it's ridiculous. I rarely speed on the highways as is and yet still get pulled over. Sure, I could get a front plate, but half the damn cars here don't have one. And apparently even if I drive a car with a front plate, I'll still get pulled over. Maybe I'm annoyed cause I've been up nearly 24 hours. Rant over.
I'm sorry--if your state requires a front license plate, and you don't use it because you just don't like the way it looks, and "everyone else is doing it", I'm having a hard time understanding the annoyance for being caught. Ok--maybe the cop needed to make quota, but laws aren't written only for those who feel like complying.

Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
At least by me when I pull up behind someone slow in the left lane I flash my high beams which in my estimation is the appropriate and polite way of saying get the fuck out of my way. 90% of the time the change lanes then flip me off as I pass. Not sure when it became rude to obey traffic laws.
Wow--you get people to move to the right 90% of the time? That's incredible. I'm in the Philly area, and I'd put my success rate at about 25%. People just have no clue about lane restrictions.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Wow--you get people to move to the right 90% of the time? That's incredible. I'm in the Philly area, and I'd put my success rate at about 25%. People just have no clue about lane restrictions.
x2 here in NY....average ability to drive is truly dismal. I'm 23 years living here from the UK and driving ability has just gone from "really not very good" in 1993 to "absolutely pathetic" in 2016....and now half the drivers are texting or checking email while sitting in that left hand lane.....
Law enforcement is a joke....speed is the only thing focused on as far as I can see.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Sorry, but high beams is not "polite". The polite way is to turn on your left turn signal for a bit. If they don't notice, then it's ok to flash them.

FYI, the KRETP law is actually enforced quite a bit in WA State. (At least some of the time.) The offenders are always quoted as saying: "oh, officer, I didn't know it was illegal".
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Ha I meant when they actually do pull over I get the finger 90% of the time. I'd say it's around 50% after a minute of actually pulling over. If/when I am forced to pass on the right I usually cut the offender off when moving back left. It's childish and stupid but so is having bad manners.

The WORST is when you are doing like 80 in the left lane and someone pulls out to execute a low speed pass at like 60 without having any appreciation for what's happening around them. That shit is just stupid and dangerous.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

There is nothing impolite about a quick flick of the high's to alert a driver to move over, if that offends anyone's sensibilities then they should probably wrap themselves in bubble wrap and not interact with the rest of the world.

As for the situation with the cop, at 5 am I'd say that's a very nitpicky reason to pull someone over, but he was within his rights as it was a disregard of a posted highway sign. Whether or not there is an actual law on the books under which the officer could have issued a citation is hard to tell, but chances are that there is, and as such, having flexed his early morning muscle, at least Officer Fife had the decency to send you on your way without inconveniencing your pockets.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Sorry, but high beams is not "polite". The polite way is to turn on your left turn signal for a bit. If they don't notice, then it's ok to flash them.

FYI, the KRETP law is actually enforced quite a bit in WA State. (At least some of the time.) The offenders are always quoted as saying: "oh, officer, I didn't know it was illegal".
Polite or not, only about 10 people in this country will know what it means when someone behind them in the left lane turns on their left turn signal.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #19
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

It used to be polite and well-known until an urban legend sprang up in the 80's about gang initiations requiring the shooting of somebody who flashed them. Since then it's become really rare and somewhere along the way people decided it was rude, as you say. I think it's still pretty common in Europe, at least in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #20
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

i have been pulled over for all reasons, you name it, its happened. I would suggest putting a front plate on the car and moving out of Texas.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:

Holy smokes, I was going to post the exact same thing. At least five times/day on the roads here, I'll come up behind someone in the left land casually doing 57mph with no traffic around, and they show no inclination of moving over even as I get closer and linger behind them.
      05-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Polite or not, only about 10 people in this country will know what it means when someone behind them in the left lane turns on their left turn signal.
No kidding. But I've found that even the traditional high-beam flash often doesn't work; probably not distracting enough from their Twitter feed.