BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M2 vs MY15 WRX STI

04-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
vaultdweller16
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 AW

BMW M2 vs MY15 WRX STI

Hi Guys

Have an M2 (manual) on the way and currently driving an MY15 WRX STI.

Interested in knowing some comparisons in terms of performance and handling.

Obviously the power will be better, but will it be a significant, reasonable or minor jump? The STI is already a great handling car, so it's hard to see how the M2 can improve much on this?

I've never even driven a BMW before let alone an M car, but just knew i had to secure the M2 as i was in the market and couldn't resist.

No need to comment on interior, as i have sat in one and that is night and day difference

Interested in hearing peoples thoughts
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultdweller16
Hi Guys

Have an M2 (manual) on the way and currently driving an MY15 WRX STI.

Interested in knowing some comparisons in terms of performance and handling.

Obviously the power will be better, but will it be a significant, reasonable or minor jump? The STI is already a great handling car, so it's hard to see how the M2 can improve much on this?

I've never even driven a BMW before let alone an M car, but just knew i had to secure the M2 as i was in the market and couldn't resist.

No need to comment on interior, as i have sat in one and that is night and day difference

Interested in hearing peoples thoughts
I came from an e92 335i with full suspension upgrades. Went out today and beat on the m2, with my old car behind. It's in a different league. I don't know how much that means to you but I hope it helps in some way.

I'm sure the AWD platform likes to push, the balance in the M2 should rotate better. The chassis is amazing, so stiff.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Sorry to disappoint you but The STi will feel quicker in the lower gears...due to more turbo lag on the boxer 2.5 and running higher boost.

Its only after 3rd gear that you will feel the greater power of the M2 but means on the street in Australia there is little room to enjoy the additional power.

The most difference you will be notice would be the RWD vs AWD handling and you cannot just full throttle on all road conditions as you could with the STi. It takes a lot more skills, more driver's involvement and more rewarding if you get it right.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Had a 2009 135 6MT, 2011 STI, 2012 WRX, 2013 Evo X MR, and recently sold my 2015 STI when I initially put an order for my 6MT F80 M3. Not an M2, but close....

The STI is a launch monster.... but unless your slipping/dumping the clutch to redline at every single stop light, the STI feels like a DOG. Mine was stage 2(DP+protune) and burnt a valve at 3000 miles, tuned since 1500. The engine is garbage unless you plan to keep it stock.

The STIs 5-60 time is dog slow because the shift into 3rd to hit 60 is one hell of a handicap. Wish the new STIs had the 2007 STI gearing(my favorite STI).

My stock F80 pulls like a freight TRAIN from 1st on compared to the STI. Hell even my N55 X1 felt like it pulled as fast as the STI! Straight 6, turbo is going to feel a hell of a lot smoother than a short geared, 4 banger with a turbo. As I'm sure you know the STI doesn't hit until 3-4K rpm. You will adore the rush of torque. In the real world the M2 will dominate, and you will have no regrets.... Until that day when it's slightly cold and or wet and you want to slam 1st or take off from a light, that is where the STI shines.

I think the STI is a blast as a fun DD and the stoplight kills were always fun. The 0-30 is like 1.2 seconds, and the 0-60 is like 4.5.

I don't track, so I can't emphasize the handling part. I would bet you could take the STI more "to the limit" on the street, compared to the M2.... If you want to risk losing your license doing such a thing.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp

Last edited by doberzus; 04-26-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man
Sorry to disappoint you but The STi will feel quicker in the lower gears...due to more turbo lag on the boxer 2.5 and running higher boost.

Its only after 3rd gear that you will feel the greater power of the M2 but means on the street in Australia there is little room to enjoy the additional power.

The most difference you will be notice would be the RWD vs AWD handling and you cannot just full throttle on all road conditions as you could with the STi. It takes a lot more skills, more driver's involvement and more rewarding if you get it right.
Plus it's just WAY MORE FUN.

AWD can be fun but RWD is so much more so. I owned a legacy GT and also have driven several STI.

No more scoobies for me
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

STI is fun on dirt and snow. On the road, RWD has better turn-in and is more engaging. Also the EJ is not much different from 10 years ago. They should offer a RWD WRX lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I've driven a M235i, own a F80 M3 and a 16 STI Limited. The M2 will be faster at all speeds. STI will probably feel a bit firmer in the chassis. Apples and oranges. I'm selling my 16 STI now to get a M2 or Focus RS.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I'm able to compare it to an EVO X. The m2 felt a bit more luxurious compared to my EVO and people here were correct that the m2 has a more linear power band which is nice and consistent, while the EVO lagged because of the boost and then just turned on.

When it did and you were in the power band, it was alot of fun. I was also super confident with the EVO because of the AWD. I didn't care what tires i had, that car was grippy.

Compared to the M2, I'm still under the break in period so i haven't unleashed it yet. It does feel more pointy than an AWD. Steering was more direct with the EVO than the m2 because of the Hydraulic assist.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
vassili
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
I'm able to compare it to an EVO X. The m2 felt a bit more luxurious compared to my EVO and people here were correct that the m2 has a more linear power band which is nice and consistent, while the EVO lagged because of the boost and then just turned on.

When it did and you were in the power band, it was alot of fun. I was also super confident with the EVO because of the AWD. I didn't care what tires i had, that car was grippy.

Compared to the M2, I'm still under the break in period so i haven't unleashed it yet. It does feel more pointy than an AWD. Steering was more direct with the EVO than the m2 because of the Hydraulic assist.
evo x mr owner here. looking to make the switch to M2, but never driven RWD. i feel the steering feel is amazing on the evo, especially with the smaller steering wheel and handling in canadian winters will be miles above the M2.

is the ride stiffer or softer than the evo x? is the front driver space more comfortable? the oem recaros in the evo has spoiled me. how do the M2 seats compare?

the one complaint aside from rattling (build quality) of the evo is the boost delivery. sometimes when i pull out into traffic with no boost, i feel like the car refuses to move and my heart sinks as i prepare to get t-boned.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Evo X MR was the BEST handling car that I have ever experienced. Makes you feel like your a superhero behind the wheel. I have taken sharp corners, HARD on private roads at around 40-50mph.... Like a damn go-kart, just sticks and goes! Also had the best seats ever.

The Evo X MR had to be one of the STIFFEST riding cars, ever. It got old having the ride be that harsh. Made my 2015 STI feel like a luxury car compared to the Evo's ride.

What I hated? The SST, why? Because it bored me coming from manual WRX's, STI's, and a 135i. The transmission was a beast when tuned. My tuner tweaked the clamping force on the clutches so the shifts were brutally fast! However, with LC the launches still felt weak, 1st gear roll ons were insane though. Fun car, but felt gutless compared to my N54 135i and my F80 M3.

I HATE RWD sometimes... It gets frustrating putting all that torque down to the rear wheels. Anyone coming straight from an Evo, STI, Golf R, etc, will miss their AWD traction on cold, rainy, snowy days, and yes.. even on DRY days.

Don't forget, the M2 will have traction issues even on sunny, dry day in 1st-2nd gear and on hard launches. You'll never see those issues with AWD. Just something to think about.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #11
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

I'm sorry, but this is the exact opposite. M2 has more power and more torque. Importantly that torque comes in and peaks at a much lower 1400 rpm. M2 makes +70 Nm over the STI (it's actually +100 Nm with the M2's overboost). As soon as the M2 hooks up it will annihilate that STI. I know it's a 'baby' M car, but those torque figures (500Nm in overboost) are no joke. Those are HSV clubsport R8 figures in a car that's 500kg lighter.

The only chance an STI has is if it's raining or snowing, or the M2 driver is taking a selfie, otherwise it's a rapidly shrinking dot in the M2's rearview.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3 | NB Miata

Evo X owner here and have owned a few RWD cars (S2000, 350z, Miata). Pretty sure due to EPS you wont get the same steering wheel feedback if you are into that. Probably the biggest difference would be in power delivery.

AWD you can just mash the throttle mid turn without a care and the car sorts itself out. With RWD, close to 50/50 weight distribution and more than enough power to break traction just means you have to be more conscious of throttle inputs. Different driving feel and fun in their own ways.

The Evo does feel very agile and more lively compared to the STI(2009) I drove. If the reviews are true then M2 should be just as fun.

Last edited by Bmwhocr; 05-05-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

Have a 11' WRX, built engine 360 whp /360 lb torque on a dyno jet, coil-overs, anti roll bars. I'm supposedly 1 on the list on my dealer for a manual M2 LBB.
Haven't driven a M2 yet, but just based on a 135is and M235i, the car feels way more tucked in, smaller and nimble, but much more refined. There was almost zero turbo lag, much more usable power.

My wrx is literally a raw animal, but fun only comes after 4k rpm, I have upgraded to a Blouch 1.5XT, I sometimes regret doing, as I miss boost coming earlier with stock turbo.

Quite honestly, I got bored of if, but keeping it for my daily driver and snow days.

I drive 60 miles every day to work, had to get rid of my Q300 invidia exhaust, was too loud, went with a Varex Variable Exhaust, which has made my car a true daily driver.

Can't wait to get the M2!
Appreciate 0