F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Defect-Premature Steering Wheel Wearing
proTUNING Freaks

04-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Need your opinions,

I have a 2013 335i still under factory warranty until August, then my extended warranty kicks in.

I have this new wear issue on my m sport steering wheel, it's right above my left thumb grip and the leather is very loose and squishy and it got very wrinkly! Some may say it's not a big deal but it's where my hand is when I drive at times and it's very annoying. My wife's 228 m sport does not have this!

I have a great relationship with my dealer and I was just wanting your input if I should take it in to try and get a new steering wheel under factory warranty?

Some may not be as picky and generally I'm not but I feel it 90% of the time and I'm annoyed

Thanks guys.
Attached Images

04-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Need your opinions,

I have a 2013 335i still under factory warranty until August, then my extended warranty kicks in.

I have this new wear issue on my m sport steering wheel, it's right above my left thumb grip and the leaner is very loose and squishy and it got very wrinkly! Some may say it's not a big deal but it's where my hand is when I drive at times and it's very annoying. My wife's 228 m sport does not have this!

I have a great relationship with my dealer and I was just wanting your input if I should take it in to try and get a new steering wheel under factory warranty?

Some may not be as picky and generally I'm not but I feel it 90% of the time and I'm annoyed

Thanks guys.
Seriously--what's the downside? It seems like more than just normal wear and tear, to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Give it a shot. That would drive me crazy as well. They may say it's your fault somehow but it's worth trying.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Mauricio Palacios. MD
Stark und Frei
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i M Sport

Normal wear... Do you like to squeeze your steering wheel at hard drive? Well, it's a good reason for changing to a M Performance / M Electronic Performance, maybe...? In that case, try to convince your dealer of a good discount on the new one...

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Worth a try, but in general it's hard to get warranty replacement on leather wear and tear.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
Need your opinions,

I have this new wear issue on my m sport steering wheel, it's right above my left thumb grip and the leaner is very loose and squishy and it got very wrinkly! Some may say it's not a big deal but it's where my hand is when I drive at times and it's very annoying. My wife's 228 m sport does not have this!

Thanks guys.
Seriously--what's the downside? It seems like more than just normal wear and tear, to me.
My previous F30 never did it, but it was a regular sport steering wheel vs this one is M sport. I wouldn't mind a m performance one, It just bugs me that it wore out this fast.
      04-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil
Worth a try, but in general it's hard to get warranty replacement on leather wear and tear.
Yep I totally see that and it's why I ask. I don't want to walk in there and act look like an ass it's why I wanted your opinions.

They have warranties wear for me before, roundel on steering wheel was faded for some odd reason and other small stuff. My wife and I get treated very well here and I get amazing discounts so I'm not wanting to ruin that.
      04-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I would try conditioning the leather a few times. Could be drying out?

Also be weary of lotions or army thing you touch with you hand as sometimes stuff like that can create issues
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj

Also be weary of lotions or army thing you touch with you hand as sometimes stuff like that can create issues
Great advice. I'll try it out. I have some decent auto leather product care, may work.
      04-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Palacios. MD
Normal wear... Do you like to squeeze your steering wheel at hard drive? Well, it's a good reason for changing to a M Performance / M Electronic Performance, maybe...? In that case, try to convince your dealer of a good discount on the new one...

I guess I look at it like this, yes it's wear n tear but so is every other part on the car within a factory warranty period. If the turbo fails prematurely before warranty is up, or my car fails to start because I started it 118,000 times before warranty was over its all the same crap it gets replaced no question, with the exception of modding and clear abuse.
I think it may be a defect there from the vendor and the way they laid the leather and stitching and they should have a look at it.

I think I'll make an appointment and see what they say.
      04-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Some good pointers and suggestions... but if you have a great relationship with the dealer as you say, they may just be willing to compromise on a solution. Certainly if you present your side as reasonably as you do here, I don't see them at least listening.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #12
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj

Great advice. I'll try it out. I have some decent auto leather product care, may work.
Yeah, I would say give it a month or so and and do it at a couple 2-3 week intervals. Often times you can get it to smooth out of it's getting dehydrated (not sure if this is the actual issue though without feeling it). No one wants the steering wheel to crack
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Need your opinions,

Thanks guys.
From your description it sounds like a manufacturing defect.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Palacios. MD

I guess I look at it like this, yes it's wear n tear but so is every other part on the car within a factory warranty period. If the turbo fails prematurely before warranty is up, or my car fails to start because I started it 118,000 times before warranty was over its all the same crap it gets replaced no question, with the exception of modding and clear abuse.
I think it may be a defect there from the vendor and the way they laid the leather and stitching and they should have a look at it.

I think I'll make an appointment and see what they say.
Exactly--is it "normal" wear? I would vote "no". I'd bring it in for the dealer to look at as soon as you can, to get it on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post

I'd bring it in first. Let the dealer see it in its current state. If you aren't successful with the dealer taking care of it under warranty, then definitely get some good leather conditioner.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-26-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0