Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

04-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Need a faster ship for my M3

Story of my own personal fun/torture.

Have been tracking the new addition to the family and hopefully into the last month of its long journey to its new home. Placed the purchase at the end of Jan and had a few false starts, which is another story. Told that it would be a March build/May delivery.

So once I had the VIN from the dealer I was able to track where she was in the world. First step was finding out which ship she was on, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it must have been a very early March build since it was loaded onto the ship on the 10th March.

Then the long wait started. Nearly 50 days to arrive at my home port with an ETA of 22nd April.

So at the moment she has just left point 6, which is Durban, South Africa. Still a long way to get to point 11. Sigh.

Here is the ship now, just leaving Durban.

Its great to be able to track all this but there is a hint of torture that goes with it. Hurry up ship, why only 16knots?

At least I have the knowledge that it arrives in Brisbane this month. Then another 10 days or so before I can pick her up at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Mate thats the worst part having to wait on a slow moving ship I remember when I too had the torturous time looking at a ship which moved so slow... Mine was parked in the Panama Canal for a week due to last years cyclone which was moving slowly south from Fiji It took forever to arrive in Brisbane and when it did I went to the Port of Brisbane to see how they drive them out of the boat. I was paranoid that they will do burnouts in my car but I was lucky that some old guy drove it out very slowly
5 x M4's and 2 x M3's was unloaded that afternoon and one blue M4 out of the lot was driven out by some young hooligan revving it up like hell glad it wasn't mine which was driven out like that!
Anyway one of the M3's had some door dings in it which could have been from being loaded up
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
JC0988
Rep

May i know how do you track your car once receive the VIN from the dealer?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:40 AM   #4
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC0988 View Post
May i know how do you track your car once receive the VIN from the dealer?

Thanks
The following is the website where you type your VIN into the Cargo ID section
https://www.2wglobal.com/webapps?url...uickSearchPage

This will give you the vessel name which can be used in a number of ship tracking sites. I used
http://www.marinetraffic.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Ozzy> View Post
Mate thats the worst part having to wait on a slow moving ship I remember when I too had the torturous time looking at a ship which moved so slow... Mine was parked in the Panama Canal for a week due to last years cyclone which was moving slowly south from Fiji It took forever to arrive in Brisbane and when it did I went to the Port of Brisbane to see how they drive them out of the boat. I was paranoid that they will do burnouts in my car but I was lucky that some old guy drove it out very slowly
5 x M4's and 2 x M3's was unloaded that afternoon and one blue M4 out of the lot was driven out by some young hooligan revving it up like hell glad it wasn't mine which was driven out like that!
Anyway one of the M3's had some door dings in it which could have been from being loaded up
I got quite interested in finding out where you went in the Port of Brisbane to watch the unload, but then I read the rest of the comments on how some of the cars are treated and the damage. Maybe for my on sanity I should stay away from the port.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris_m3 View Post
I got quite interested in finding out where you went in the Port of Brisbane to watch the unload, but then I read the rest of the comments on how some of the cars are treated and the damage. Maybe for my on sanity I should stay away from the port.
I wouldn't worry about it, just take a drive to the port of Brisbane once the ship docks. The fence is so close to the road that you can smell the new cars unloading
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
calvinadelaide
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 F80

Mate, we are on the same boat, the ship is too slow.z
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:59 AM   #8
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinadelaide View Post
Mate, we are on the same boat, the ship is too slow.z
I assume from your name that you are in Adelaide. Does that mean you have to wait till the ship docks in Melbourne and then its transported to Adelaide?

What did you order, if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:05 AM   #9
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 428i, Sahara

Although mine was already in the country it had to come from Brisbane.

17 days by rail......!!

Then another week here for tint and PD.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:18 AM   #10
calvinadelaide
Rep

Quote:
I assume from your name that you are in Adelaide. Does that mean you have to wait till the ship docks in Melbourne and then its transported to Adelaide?

What did you order, if you don't mind me asking?
Yes, I am based in Adelaide, the ship will first stop at Perth, but i don't think BMW will arrange to transport it to Adelaide from Perth, so i will have to wait it transport from Mel. I have ordered silverstone M3 with CP, and also thinking add other performance parts like front lip, rear diffuser, MP exhaust and MP steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:40 AM   #11
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am based in Adelaide, the ship will first stop at Perth, but i don't think BMW will arrange to transport it to Adelaide from Perth, so i will have to wait it transport from Mel. I have ordered silverstone M3 with CP, and also thinking add other performance parts like front lip, rear diffuser, MP exhaust and MP steering wheel.
Nice, I am regretting not going with the CP, but at the time the dealership wasn't sure on price and I wasn't convinced with the wheels. Never mind, maybe next time

I went for sapphire black M3 with sakhir orange interior. First things are M Performance black kidney grille and sidewall bars, followed by 3M window tint and full external OptiCoat. Will code a couple of things and then possibly JB4 and MPE later in the year seeing how the car grows on me. I do like the look of the MP steering wheel, especially with the race display.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
calvinadelaide
Rep

Quote:
Nice, I am regretting not going with the CP, but at the time the dealership wasn't sure on price and I wasn't convinced with the wheels. Never mind, maybe next time

I went for sapphire black M3 with sakhir orange interior. First things are M Performance black kidney grille and sidewall bars, followed by 3M window tint and full external OptiCoat. Will code a couple of things and then possibly JB4 and MPE later in the year seeing how the car grows on me. I do like the look of the MP steering wheel, especially with the race display.
Mine is silverstone with sakhir orange interior. So the dealer will do the 3M window tint for you at the dealership prior delivery or you will do it somewhere else? I was thinking to get Akrapovic exhaust, but it will order from interstate and will take a while, so i will probably just go for the MPE. The steering wheel with race display is a must for M3 considering the shift lights are so cool in nighttime.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #13
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowie View Post
Although mine was already in the country it had to come from Brisbane.

17 days by rail......!!

Then another week here for tint and PD.
17 days That would have driven me made.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #14
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mine is silverstone with sakhir orange interior. So the dealer will do the 3M window tint for you at the dealership prior delivery or you will do it somewhere else? I was thinking to get Akrapovic exhaust, but it will order from interstate and will take a while, so i will probably just go for the MPE. The steering wheel with race display is a must for M3 considering the shift lights are so cool in nighttime.
When talking with the dealer regarding paint protection I mentioned that I was looking at OptiCoat, which he recommended over the BMW protection. He gave me the name of a company that he uses on his (M4) and other family members cars. At this stage he also quoted me the 3M tint price from BMW. When I contacted the OptiCoat guy he gave me a mates rate for the exterior, including wheels and calipers and then offered the 3M tint for less than half of what BMW quoted. So I am planning on having the car tinted/detailed/coated the day after I get it. Will take about 8-9 hours done at my house, so I can watch.

Are you getting BMW to change the exhaust and steering wheel? Did see a write up a while ago of someone changing over their steering wheel themselves. I love tinkering with cars, but it looked pretty involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #15
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
17 days That would have driven me made.
It was like watching paint dry......!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:43 AM   #16
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have the M Performance steering wheel , but without the race display.

I was concerned when HUD is activated its too many distractions.

I have MPE with Akropovic DP and JB4. AWESOME 😊
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:07 AM   #17
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowie View Post
I have the M Performance steering wheel , but without the race display.

I was concerned when HUD is activated its too many distractions.

I have MPE with Akropovic DP and JB4. AWESOME 😊

Do u have any vids of your car? Would love to have a listen from idling to revving to fly-bys

I'm not asking for much
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep

No sorry I dont 😡
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #19
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

How do you track your car?

Mine arrives next week - I regularly call up the dealer I purchased it through and get updates.

I wasn't given any details on this tracking system... That's fukn bull shit.
      04-06-2016, 01:09 AM   #20
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaa93 View Post
How do you track your car?

Mine arrives next week - I regularly call up the dealer I purchased it through and get updates.

I wasn't given any details on this tracking system... That's fukn bull shit.
Neither was I. I only received the tracking details and website as my car basically landed at the docks and I asked multiple times for it before hand.

Go http://www.2wglobal.com/ and click on 'Track and trace', then enter your VIN in 'Cargo ID'.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 02:34 AM   #21
bris_m3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Neither was I. I only received the tracking details and website as my car basically landed at the docks and I asked multiple times for it before hand.

Go http://www.2wglobal.com/ and click on 'Track and trace', then enter your VIN in 'Cargo ID'.
My dealer was quite forthcoming with the info. He gave me the VIN and http://www.2wglobal.com/ as soon as I asked for it. I had told him upfront that I was very keen on tracking it so would want the info as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #22
JC0988
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0