BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-16-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Debuts New iPerformance Model Designation with BMW 740e iPerformance

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Debuts New iPerformance Model Designation with BMW 740e iPerformance
COMMENTS

The new iPerformance model designation, which will be given to all BMW plug-in hybrid vehicles from July 2016, provides a visible indicator of the transfer of technology from BMW i to the BMW core brand. It will be seen first on the plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series, e.g. the BMW 740e iPerformance. The iPerformance models will benefit from the transfer of technical expertise regarding electric motors, battery cells and electronic control systems. Visible indicators, meanwhile, are a BMW i logo on the front side panel, BMW i-style blue elements in the kidney grille and wheel hubs, and an eDrive logo on the C-pillar. Customers can also make use of the BMW i 360° ELECTRIC range of products and services, including the BMW i Callbox.

The new BMW 740e iPerformance, BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance.

The new BMW 7 Series plug-in hybrid luxury sedans source their power from the myriad talents of a four-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and an electric motor. Together, they deliver a system output of 240 kW/326 hp. The new BMW 740e iPerformance with standard wheelbase and the new BMW 740Le iPerformance with long wheelbase capture the imagination with supreme dynamics, yet also record average fuel consumption of 2.1 litres per 100 kilometres (134.5 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of 49 grams per kilometre (provisional figures)*. In the new BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance (fuel consumption combined: 2.3 l/100 km / 122.8 mpg imp; CO2 emissions combined: 53 g/km; provisional figures)*, intelligent all-wheel drive distributes the combined power of the combustion engine and electric motor permanently and as required between the front and rear wheels.

The plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series allow top-level driving pleasure, long-distance comfort and luxury to be experienced in combination with all-electric, locally emission-free mobility as well. In so doing, they represent the most rigorous implementation yet of Efficient Dynamics in vehicles from the BMW brand. Both BMW eDrive and the body structure with Carbon Core are rooted in expertise refined in the development of BMW i cars. When it comes to charging the high-voltage battery, customers benefit from innovative products and services originally developed for BMW i. The BMW 740e iPerformance, BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance can also be specified as an option with anti- dazzle BMW Laserlight, which celebrated its world premiere in the BMW i8 plug-in hybrid sports car.

Intelligent energy management optimises the interplay of the combustion engine and electric motor. The electric boost function provides a noticeable increase in dynamic vigour – expressed most prominently by the powertrain’s instantaneous responses – and combines with enhanced efficiency courtesy of the electric assist function and the opportunity to drive through town and cross-country on electric power only to create a unique symbiosis of driving pleasure and sustainability. The maximum electric range, as per the EU test cycle for plug-in hybrid vehicles, is 40 kilometres / 25 miles for the BMW 740e iPerformance and BMW 740Le iPerformance, or 37 kilometres / 23 miles for the BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance (provisional figures) *.

The best of two worlds: BMW eDrive and BMW TwinPower Turbo technology.

The combustion engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology employed by the plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series is a member of the new Efficient Dynamics engine family. Developing maximum output of 190 kW/258 hp, it is the most powerful four-cylinder engine ever fitted in a series-produced BMW. Instantaneous power delivery and peak torque of 400 Newton metres (295 lb-ft) – on tap across a wide rev range (1,250 – 4,800 rpm) – imbue the 2.0-litre unit with vivaciously sporty yet also poised and authoritative performance. In addition, the new engine displays outstanding refinement and optimised acoustic properties.

The electric drive system, based on the principle of a permanently excited synchronous motor, boasts exceptionally high power density with a maximum output of 83 kW/113 hp. As is characteristic for electric drive systems, it serves up its peak torque of 250 Newton metres (184 lb-ft) from the word go. This has the effect of boosting the engine’s output and greeting the driver with thrillingly instantaneous responses. Furthermore, the electric motor takes on the role of a generator which – depending on the hybrid function selected – is powered either by recuperating braking energy or by efficiently raising the engine’s load points. It then feeds the energy it generates into the high- voltage battery.

The electric motor is fully integrated into the eight-speed Steptronic transmission. This ensures that pure-electric driving, the dynamics-enhancing electric boost function and the recuperation of braking energy are all extremely efficient. The eight-speed Steptronic transmission has outstanding internal efficiency, top-class shift dynamics and shift comfort, and a compact construction. Gearshift paddles on the steering wheel are available as an option, enabling the driver to make manual gear selections with exceptional swiftness and the greatest of ease.

Working together intelligently, the combustion engine and electric drive system bring a system output of 240 kW/326 hp and a combined peak torque of 500 Newton metres (369 lb-ft) to the table. Immediate response to every movement of the accelerator and sustained delivery of dynamic power allow the BMW 740e iPerformance to dash from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.6 seconds and the BMW 740Le iPerformance to complete the same sprint in 5.7 seconds. The cars’ sporty driving characteristics are complemented by extraordinarily low fuel consumption and emissions. The BMW 740e iPerformance and BMW 740Le iPerformance both record combined petrol consumption of 2.1 litres per 100 kilometres (134.5 mpg imp) and electricity consumption of 12.5 kWh. CO2 emissions are 49 grams per kilometre (provisional figures as calculated in the EU test cycle for plug-in hybrid vehicles, may vary depending on the tyre format specified).

BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance: permanent all-wheel drive also applies to all-electric driving.
The BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance follows in the tyre tracks of the BMW X5 xDrive40e as the brand’s second model to distribute its power permanently to all four wheels in pure-electric driving, when the combustion engine cuts in and when both drive systems are in use at the same time. The intelligent all-wheel-drive system ensures supreme traction, optimised directional stability and enhanced agility through enthusiastically taken corners in all weather and road conditions.
Perfectly executed power distribution gives the BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance extremely dynamic accelerative ability, with the journey from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) completed in 5.5 seconds. Yet the fuel consumption of the BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance is just 2.3 litres per 100 kilometres (122.8 mpg imp) combined while electricity consumption comes in at 13 kWh. CO2 emissions are 53 grams per kilometre (provisional figures as calculated in the EU test cycle for plug-in hybrid vehicles, may vary depending on the tyre format specified).

eDrive button allows powertrain control to be configured as desired.

The driver can use the eDrive button on the centre console to change how the plug-in hybrid drive system operates. In the AUTO eDRIVE hybrid function, intelligent energy management ensures the combustion engine and electric motor work together with maximum efficiency and to dynamically optimised effect. The operating strategy defaults to all-electric mode at low and moderate speeds to utilise the advantages of locally emission-free mobility as widely as possible. The combustion engine only joins the fray at a speed of around 80 km/h (50 mph) or under heavy throttle applications.
The driver can switch to the MAX eDRIVE pure-electric mode at the touch of a button. In this setting the car is powered exclusively by the electric motor, although the combustion engine can be brought into play at any time by pushing the accelerator into kickdown. In the MAX eDRIVE setting, the plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series have a pure-electric top speed of 140 km/h (87 mph).
The Battery Control setting allows the driver to make between 30 and 100 per cent of the high-voltage battery’s maximum charge available for pure-electric driving later in the journey. For example, electric power can be held back or even increased while on the motorway so it can be used subsequently for locally emission-free driving in town.

Driving Experience Control switch with ADAPTIVE mode, clearly noticeable differentiation between SPORT, COMFORT and ECO PRO mode.

The plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series are also equipped as standard with the newly designed Driving Experience Control switch on the centre console. At the touch of a button, the driver can activate a vehicle setting that optimises dynamics, comfort or efficiency. The range of characters encompassed by ECO PRO, COMFORT and SPORT modes are even more clearly defined than with conventionally powered vehicles.

Beyond this, the Driving Experience Control switch offers the option of selecting ADAPTIVE mode. In this setting, the car’s responses adapt noticeably to the driver’s style and route profile.

High-voltage lithium-ion battery: developed specifically for the models at hand, integrated with space-saving skill.

The high-voltage lithium-ion battery has a gross capacity of 9.2 kWh and net capacity of 6.9 kWh. It is accommodated underneath the rear seat bench in a space-saving position that also provides optimum crash safety. The plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series therefore also benefit from a level surface in the luggage compartment, which offers a capacity of 420 litres. The stowage volume and practicality of the load area set the benchmark in the luxury plug-in hybrid sedan segment.

The energy flow between the high-voltage battery, electric motor and charger is controlled by power electronics likewise developed specifically for these models. The power electronics also regulate the supply of energy from the high-voltage battery to the 12V onboard electrical system via a voltage transformer.

Standard specification includes auxiliary air conditioning.

The high level of standard specification for the BMW 740e iPerformance, BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance includes LED headlights, the BMW Display Key, the ConnectedDrive navigation package, smartphone integration with inductive charging facility for the phone battery, and an iDrive operating system expanded to include a touchscreen function for the Control Display and the globally unique BMW gesture control feature. Customers can also look forward to auxiliary heating and air conditioning, which allow them to prepare the car’s interior temperature in advance. The heating and air conditioning system of the plug-in hybrid models is supplied with energy from the high-voltage battery. When the car’s battery is being charged, the auxiliary air conditioning function is powered by the mains supply.

The charger connection for the high-voltage battery can be found under the flap in the left-hand front side panel. The high-set position of the connection makes the charging process easier. Standard equipment includes a charging cable for use with a domestic power socket, which can be stored in a bag in the boot area to save space. Inside the BMW 740e iPerformance,BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance the most prominent hybrid-specific features include – in addition to the eDrive button – special graphic displays in the instrument cluster and Control Display.

BMW 740e iPerformance

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
lol. I am now slightly confused.

e iPerformance... I guess this would eventually trickle down into 6ers and 5ers, maybe the M models?
      02-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

This seems redundant, like if they were to start calling all standard models "pPerformance" where the p stands for "petrol" - e.g. 330i pPerformance. We could add another one for diesel models; maybe that would be oPerformance with the o standing for "oil" - 330d oPerformance.

I would have thought that an additional badge like this would have been reserved for the Power eDrive models coming later, like an M550e iPerformance which would fit in the lineup roughly where the M550d M Performance model does today.

Overly verbose branding seems to be the name of the game today.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Now if only the name could be as efficient as the powertrain...
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
b.oom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: occasionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This seems redundant, like if they were to start calling all standard models "pPerformance" where the p stands for "petrol" - e.g. 330i pPerformance. We could add another one for diesel models; maybe that would be oPerformance with the o standing for "oil" - 330d oPerformance.

I think, let's say, a 330e will be different than 330e iPerformance - probably the latter will be a more refined/sharpened model of the same engine(s) configuration.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I echo some of the sentiments so far. What's the distinction between eDrive, iPerformance, and the 740e (or any XXXe model name) designations?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Can't wait to order my:

M760e iperformance xDrive V12

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.oom View Post
I think, let's say, a 330e will be different than 330e iPerformance - probably the latter will be a more refined/sharpened model of the same engine(s) configuration.
That's not how I interpret this statement from the article:

Quote:
The new iPerformance model designation, which will be given to all BMW plug-in hybrid vehicles from July 2016...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

I'm glad it's not a D Performance designation in the trunk

Last edited by Manbnda; 02-16-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

If ever anyone needed to streamline their marketing techniques... Less is more BMW, less is more.

So an AWD version would be:
"740e iPerformance xDrive Saloon?" Try and fit that on your free hat.

Used to be "BMW" was enough to indicate the performance part.. Wasn't it?
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #11
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Interesting, I suppose
      02-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

I would have thought that an additional badge like this would have been reserved for the Power eDrive models coming later, like an M550e iPerformance which would fit in the lineup roughly where the M550d M Performance model does today.

The way I read this is that there are two independent "sub-companies" within BMW with their own design and engineering departments: BMW-///M and BMW-i.

The M-Performance models are the ones where BMW-///M contributed to the design/engineering and the i-Performance models are the models for which BMW-i contributed to the design/engineering.

I might be wrong, just my interpretation. But I agree, the result still makes for confusing overall branding.

Maybe the next gen M4 with e-boost will be an "M4 i-Performance"

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-16-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
The significance of this may be much bigger than my perception at first glance. I'm interested to see what the future brings!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #14
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Name:  EIEIOOcean.jpg
Views: 5115
Size:  713.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Wasn't the e in 740e enough? I certainly think so.
And will all the plug in hybrids get the iPerformance name? Like the 220xe, 330e and X5 xDrive40e?

And I really hate those blue bits and those badges on the side. :

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #16
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

All those badges look really tacky for such a classy car.

Must be drinking that Pyrat Rum again.

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #17
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I'd love to see a comparison between this and it's conventionally-powered equivalent. This probably costs more and has less performance. Why would I go this route? :