BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Voice Command Function

02-14-2016, 04:00 AM   #1
thtoothdoc
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d Xline

Voice Command Function

So what exactly does this function do and why doesnt it work with my vehicle apart from connecting to my phone ?
What options should I have specified to get this fully functional and can it be activated seperately ?
I know with my Audi A5 that a lot of functions can be personalised using the VagCom program attached to the computer port of the car , is that possible with BMW ?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 04:24 AM   #2
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtoothdoc View Post
So what exactly does this function do and why doesnt it work with my vehicle apart from connecting to my phone ?
What options should I have specified to get this fully functional and can it be activated seperately ?
I know with my Audi A5 that a lot of functions can be personalised using the VagCom program attached to the computer port of the car , is that possible with BMW ?
Thanks
Hi [thtoothdoc]. I have a petrol F48 on order (long lead time) so perhaps someone with the necessary options will confirm what I think.

When I placed my order I did NOT originally specify "6NS Enhanced Bluetooth telephone with USB & Voice Control £350" as I did not think I needed this.

Then somewhere on this forum I read something that made me think that this was the only way to get full voice control. I spoke to my dealer who checked with BMW UK and confirmed this was correct. I then added this to my order.

I do not know if you can get this option retro-fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

As standard, you can connect one phone via Bluetooth/USB and use Siri on your iOS device by pressing and holding down the voice command button on steering wheel. I've no idea of Google Now and Cortana are also supported or not. Needless to say, all the voice commands will be limited to your phone's capabilities.

If you have 6NS, you will be able to add up to three music devices and/or two phones via Bluetooth. You'll also get one snap-in adaptor in the armrest plus a mobile aerial for better reception. Voice command with 6NS controls certain car features (on top of Siri, etc.). You can operate satnav, music, radio, phone and so on without touching any of the iDrive controls.

If the commands you normally use are to do with your phone (e.g. change music, read email, etc.), and if you don't want your kids to play their awful music via your car's stereo, then I wouldn't bother with 6NS. But if you want to listen to the soundtrack from Frozen all the time and would rather have hands-free controls instead of iDrive buttons and knobs, then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
If the commands you normally use are to do with your phone (e.g. change music, read email, etc.), and if you don't want your kids to play their awful music via your car's stereo, then I wouldn't bother with 6NS. But if you want to listen to the soundtrack from Frozen all the time and would rather have hands-free controls instead of iDrive buttons and knobs, then go for it.

Precisely that's why I haven't bothered. Never use it much in the F10 and as you said you can use Siri for phone...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

I checked with BMW UK last month and this is the email I got back:-

"Good afternoon
Thanks for your email about retro-fitting voice control on your new BMW X1.
I’ve looked into this for you and I’m sorry to say that voice control can’t be retro-fitted onto your car. I’m sorry for any disappointment this may cause".

Unfortunately no retrofitting voice commands which I would have liked mainly for satnav purposes.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

We have it, but we needed the two phone connectivity more than the vice commands. I will say she isn't quite so disobedient as the one in my M235i.
      02-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

Quote:
As standard, you can connect one phone via Bluetooth/USB and use Siri on your iOS device by pressing and holding down the voice command button on steering wheel. I've no idea of Google Now and Cortana are also supported or not. Needless to say, all the voice commands will be limited to your phone's capabilities.

If you have 6NS, you will be able to add up to three music devices and/or two phones via Bluetooth. You'll also get one snap-in adaptor in the armrest plus a mobile aerial for better reception. Voice command with 6NS controls certain car features (on top of Siri, etc.). You can operate satnav, music, radio, phone and so on without touching any of the iDrive controls.

So you do get one snap-in adaptor as part of 6NS? I added 6NS to my order a few weeks after I placed my order and the dealer was able to get the factory to add it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifletch
Quote:

So you do get one snap-in adaptor as part of 6NS? I added 6NS to my order a few weeks after I placed my order and the dealer was able to get the factory to add it.
No you get the wiring in place to add a snap in adaptor. BMW make you pay you pay for the specific adaptor for the phone.
      02-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Yeap. My mistake. Description on configurator clearly says "must be purchased separately". I still don't understand what these +£100 adapters can do that a £5 Lightning cable can't.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #10
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
Yeap. My mistake. Description on configurator clearly says "must be purchased separately". I still don't understand what these +£100 adapters can do that a £5 Lightning cable can't.
Nothing at all tbh. I had one for my old iPhone 4 would never get another.
      02-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #11
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

In other BMW models, or with certain snap-in adapter models, you do get antenna signal attenuation...I'm not sure what is the case with the F48.
Appreciate 0