THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Finally got the TPMS disabled and FTM activated!

02-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Cloud IX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quickest Stock Turbo F8X

Finally got the TPMS disabled and FTM activated!

Since I plan on ordering a couple sets of wheels and tires for the summer, road course and drag, I really didn't want to spend almost a thousand dollars on TPMS sensors. I read a bunch of posts saying it was not possible, but thanks to member stu14t , I've sucessfully disabled TPMS and activated the FTM.

These directions and all work was done by him. I even messed up a couple things but he helped me though it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t
Those are the default settings for having TPMS active. It was more for reference to see which ECU's need coding.

Usual disclaimer, as I'm not there, You do this at your own risk.

To code for no TPMS do the following.

Start the Car engine and leave running throughout

Connect to your car with Esys ( I assume you know how to do this)

Go to Expert Mode Tab on left and click on Coding.

Press READ in the top box in the coding screen and then Save when it's loaded. Call it something like Car FA with TPMS.

Go to Esys Data folder on you PC and find the folder FA and make a copy of that file and rename one of them Without TPMS. You should have two files now.

Go back to Esys and the Editors and Viewers tab and click on FA Editor.

In the top box where it says "File Name" Click on the button with three dots on the right of that text box and open the file you renamed "Without TPMS"

Right click on the folder FA that appears and Calculate FP

More folders will appear on the right and you can now change the FA

Expand all the folders by clicking on the little + signs (not header) until you see a folder that says SALAPA Element. click on the folder and your order codes will appear in the bottom box.

Literally go into the SALAPA box at the bottom and delete 2VB (and the comma) and press the little thing that looks like a door with a left arrow in yellow in the right of the SALAPA box. (If there is something wrong there is a red box round the SALAPA box.)

Press the save (Disk) icon at the top toolbar of Esys

Go to the Expert Mode Tab and click on VCM (You may or may not get a box appear saying there is a file open in the FA-Editor Just press Yes here.)

About two thirds of the way down you will see a box that says "Vehicle Order" with tabs that say File, Master and Backup.

To the right of the box within that says File Name: click on the button with three dots and open your file marked as "Without TPMS"

folders will appear in the top box. Again, Right click on the folder "FA" and Calculate FP

The vehicle profile will be filled in the next box.

Go back to the Vehicle Order box and click on the "Master" tab

You are now about to write back to the car the new vehicle order back to the car.

Press "Write FA FP" that should only take a second.

You now have to VO code the ECU's

In the Expert Mode box go to Coding.

If the top box is populated (Vehicle order) make sure its your "Without TPMS". if not, just press LOAD and load the file in.

When you've loaded the correct file Right Click on FA folder and click Activate FP.

Over to the right you will see a box called "SVT Actual"

In that box click on "Read SVT (..."

Save this file for a backup (Save button in the same box)

All your ECU's will appear in the Big SVT box

(You may not Have NBT as this is ProNav You may have HU..somthing and KOMBI is black panel display)

To VO code the ECU's Scroll down to the ECU's in the List I gave "DSC NBT ICM KOMBI"

Right click on the yellow folder of the first ECU (DSC) Not the CADF file and press "Code"

Repeat this for the other ECU's

You will get errors about DTC failure, ABS failure, RDC failure and the clock on the black panel display will need resetting to the correct time.

But that's it, your done! Disconnect and turn the engine on and off to clear spurious warnings
      02-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud IX
Since I plan on ordering a couple sets of wheels and tires for the summer, road course and drag, I really didn't want to spend almost a thousand dollars on TPMS sensors. I read a bunch of posts saying it was not possible, but thanks to member stu14t , I've sucessfully disabled TPMS and activated the FTM.

These directions and all work was done by him. I even messed up a couple things but he helped me though it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t
Those are the default settings for having TPMS active. It was more for reference to see which ECU's need coding.

Usual disclaimer, as I'm not there, You do this at your own risk.

To code for no TPMS do the following.

Start the Car engine and leave running throughout

Connect to your car with Esys ( I assume you know how to do this)

Go to Expert Mode Tab on left and click on Coding.

Press READ in the top box in the coding screen and then Save when it's loaded. Call it something like Car FA with TPMS.

Go to Esys Data folder on you PC and find the folder FA and make a copy of that file and rename one of them Without TPMS. You should have two files now.

Go back to Esys and the Editors and Viewers tab and click on FA Editor.

In the top box where it says "File Name" Click on the button with three dots on the right of that text box and open the file you renamed "Without TPMS"

Right click on the folder FA that appears and Calculate FP

More folders will appear on the right and you can now change the FA

Expand all the folders by clicking on the little + signs (not header) until you see a folder that says SALAPA Element. click on the folder and your order codes will appear in the bottom box.

Literally go into the SALAPA box at the bottom and delete 2VB (and the comma) and press the little thing that looks like a door with a left arrow in yellow in the right of the SALAPA box. (If there is something wrong there is a red box round the SALAPA box.)

Press the save (Disk) icon at the top toolbar of Esys

Go to the Expert Mode Tab and click on VCM (You may or may not get a box appear saying there is a file open in the FA-Editor Just press Yes here.)

About two thirds of the way down you will see a box that says "Vehicle Order" with tabs that say File, Master and Backup.

To the right of the box within that says File Name: click on the button with three dots and open your file marked as "Without TPMS"

folders will appear in the top box. Again, Right click on the folder "FA" and Calculate FP

The vehicle profile will be filled in the next box.

Go back to the Vehicle Order box and click on the "Master" tab

You are now about to write back to the car the new vehicle order back to the car.

Press "Write FA FP" that should only take a second.

You now have to VO code the ECU's

In the Expert Mode box go to Coding.

If the top box is populated (Vehicle order) make sure its your "Without TPMS". if not, just press LOAD and load the file in.

When you've loaded the correct file Right Click on FA folder and click Activate FP.

Over to the right you will see a box called "SVT Actual"

In that box click on "Read SVT (..."

Save this file for a backup (Save button in the same box)

All your ECU's will appear in the Big SVT box

(You may not Have NBT as this is ProNav You may have HU..somthing and KOMBI is black panel display)

To VO code the ECU's Scroll down to the ECU's in the List I gave "DSC NBT ICM KOMBI"

Right click on the yellow folder of the first ECU (DSC) Not the CADF file and press "Code"

Repeat this for the other ECU's

You will get errors about DTC failure, ABS failure, RDC failure and the clock on the black panel display will need resetting to the correct time.

But that's it, your done! Disconnect and turn the engine on and off to clear spurious warnings
As a side note , you can skip writing the FA to the car and do the VO coding alone.

The advantage of writing it though is that if the dealer does an update the car will be coded without the option you removed from the FA so your tpms decoding will stay, else it will get wiped out as the dealer will code the car with the options specified on the FA
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:58 AM   #3
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud IX View Post

Glad to help and thanks for the info about the FA order from pikcachu

This was not all my own work, I had help from wibbles too, so some credit to him.

Many thanks to InTheSound for the US / CAN workaround for this

How to guide added below
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F30 F20 Code Out TPMS back to RPA or RFA.pdf (788.2 KB, 4820 views)
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d

Last edited by stu14t; 04-18-2016 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t View Post
Glad to help and thanks for the info about the FA order from pikcachu

This was not all my own work, I had help from wibbles too, so some credit to him.

How to guide added below
Can I add this to http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997749 ?
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Please do. Exactly what these forums are for
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #6
Cloud IX
Lieutenant
Rep

Just wanted to update. I've swapped my rims to ones without TPMS and it's still working beautifully. Thanks again to Stu14t, pikachu and everyone else that helped me get it working.
      02-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud IX View Post
Just wanted to update. I've swapped my rims to ones without TPMS and it's still working beautifully. Thanks again to Stu14t, pikachu and everyone else that helped me get it working.
Nice...
BTW what wheels/tires did you get ?

I thought about not doing TPMS on the dedicated set but it was only $65/ sensor, about $260 for all the wheels and it's actually quite useful to check psi and temp when on the track so you know where you are at...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
Cloud IX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Nice...
BTW what wheels/tires did you get ?

I thought about not doing TPMS on the dedicated set but it was only $65/ sensor, about $260 for all the wheels and it's actually quite useful to check psi and temp when on the track so you know where you are at...
Yeah thinking of moving the factory ones into my Track set because of that.

Just like the fact that we can turn them off now since I'm going to have my street set, track set, and a drag set. 12 new sensors is pricey.
      03-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Did the car not come with one set of 4?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
InTheSound
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud IX
I am wondering if performing the coding prior to the swap was key to your success? I've performed the steps to re-code a few times now on my Canadian spec m235i - but after I did the swap to a wheel set without sensors.

Can you attempt a reset in iDrive again? Does it still reset to green on all four wheels for RPA?

I may go through the grunt work an swap back to the wheels with sensors and do the coding and see if I end up with a different outcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
InTheSound
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Swapped wheels back to stock today (w/TPMS) and performed VO coding back to TPMS. Reset tire pressure and got all 4 green tires within seconds of moving vehicle. Coded back to FTM and tested a reset. Got all 4 green within seconds. Things looking good!

Not so fast. Now for the final test. Re-mounted the wheels without TPMS and performed a FTM reset. Not going green and I'm expecting TPMS Malfunction in no time. Not sure if there is any other coding that should be done, but my theory is the TPMS hardware actively communicates with the ECUs even when the car is coded FTM (RPA). Without the sensors, I can't get the reset to work even for Flat Tire Monitoring (ABS rolling test for pressure).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #12
InTheSound
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

SOLVED!

Solved for Canadian Spec m235i (2014) http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=48
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
Coolhydro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ducati , f30 335i sport

Can this be done
using BimmerCode’s expert mode?

I am trying to get rid of tpms alerts
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 05:58 PM   #14
WoodyOGM2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
As a side note , you can skip writing the FA to the car and do the VO coding alone.

First ever attempt at coding and I successfully modified the FA/VO and I hit "code" on the DSC ECU only. This generated an FTM failure message.

I just went back in and hit code against the other ECUs mentioned the next morning and everything worked as expected.

Thank you for saving me money on this. I can also now add this in and out as needed!

Last edited by WoodyOGM2; 09-19-2023 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:28 PM   #15
Nativo
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i THP Blk Saphire Meta

Reviving an old thread here;
Can the tpms be coded as to not interfere while in Sport+?
Or can it be coded for a different psi value?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:30 AM   #16
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

FWIW I found sensors on e-bay for $35 for all four. They have been on my second set of wheels now for three years and work great.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #17
Nativo
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i THP Blk Saphire Meta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
FWIW I found sensors on e-bay for $35 for all four. They have been on my second set of wheels now for three years and work great.
Can you share a link for the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 09:43 PM   #18
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Well I bought them last year but there is still a good link HERE . Looks just like the ones I bought.
Appreciate 0