F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Diesel Sound on an 420d with Active-Sound?
ARMA SPEED

01-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
F30-Guy
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

BMW Diesel Sound on an 420d with Active-Sound?

Hello together,

I am wondering since years (with my old 335d before and now with my F32 420d) how it is possible to get some sound into that car (exhaust sound / exhaust modification). I never got a good solution.. as I understood, only way to get SOME sound is to remove the particle filter (which is no option to me - especially not here in spain!)

Some days ago I was so annoyed from my 420d sound again, that I started to google again for some solution - I have heard from the new BMW active sound fpr the 120d so i wondered if this can be retrofitted to my 420d..

Now I found this video:
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB0SWqqsoGc[/u2b]

In my optinion this sound is great - it mmight be still a bit systetic on idle - but it seems as if it can be customised.. and during driving, i think it is nearly perfect..

It seems to be possible to customize and control this system via the steering wheel buttons - how can this be? Is it connected to the cars "intranet" or information system?
I have read in some other forums that installation should be easy - only 4 wires.. how can this be? Will this work? Does anybody have some experience with such an solution?

That is thee manufacturer information / link that seems to point to this prooduct:
Active diesel sound 420d

Unfortunatly the linked installation manual only seems to be in German..

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Each to their own but it sounds absolutely shite! What a disappointment!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Active sound is from what I've seen / read, sound that is produced on your speakers + on a speaker that is part of the exhaust + potentially a valve that is part of the new exhaust set to generate the wanted sound

Apparently, new cars like 4GC - F36 have active sound by default inside the car so you could change the sound used since it's software based ~ check out forum threads on this - to make it sound whatever you like (M4 also uses this so you could use those audio files)

So in the end they can make it sound like they want - you can find other video's on YouTube and different sounds depending on from which vendor they come from

I asked about BMW's Active Sound that was announced in a blog post for Diesels but so far it's not yet available

Thing is then also that you can choose your sound by changing the mode "comfort would be silent, sport would brawl, etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 11:32 PM   #4
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Just received feedback, activesound for 420D is available in my area. It's not yet in the catalog but BMW Benelux gave the dealer the necessary part number & price

I'll most likely be getting this on my car (delivery beginning of May). I've asked for audio or video to see what it is like but I'm not sure they have a reference (cannot find anything online)

Referencing to this:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...em-asd-08-2015
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 04:33 AM   #5
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Found this video:

Features OEM 420D sound and then I believe BMW M Performance ActiveSound exhaust line
Appreciate 0