BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Active Cruise Control

01-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Active Cruise Control

Does anyone here have their F48 equipped with the Active Cruise Control w/ stop and go? I haven't been able to find much information about how well this feature works. The reason I'm asking is that I've read that it uses a camera based system rather than a radar like in most mercedes / larger BMWs. What are your experiences with the system in these cars?

I'm coming from an e90 335d and while I still love my car, I'd like to have a little bit more practicality, ground clearance, new electronics (HUD, ACC) and awd. I test drove the F48 recently and it felt like a refined mini countryman to me. So I'm looking to get into one of these fun little crossover.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 02:42 AM   #2
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Cant comment on the stop go as we havent got our F48 yet, but we did have the camera based active cruise control on or F56 MINI and that worked very well.
      01-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
BMW newbie 2016
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVTee View Post
Does anyone here have their F48 equipped with the Active Cruise Control w/ stop and go? I haven't been able to find much information about how well this feature works. The reason I'm asking is that I've read that it uses a camera based system rather than a radar like in most mercedes / larger BMWs. What are your experiences with the system in these cars?

I'm coming from an e90 335d and while I still love my car, I'd like to have a little bit more practicality, ground clearance, new electronics (HUD, ACC) and awd. I test drove the F48 recently and it felt like a refined mini countryman to me. So I'm looking to get into one of these fun little crossover.
I have the stop/start feature on mine. I actually turned it off at first because I was concerned about the wearing of the starter and other components in the set up. I've started using it and find it hardly noticeable and quite efficient. As far as the starter goes I've read that these parts are made specifically for the constant stop and go so why not save some fuel. Here in Montreal we are paying about
$1.23 for premium per litre. Ouch!
You will love this SAV I am sure. Loads of fun to drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
nickrice20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive

I have utilized the ACC Stop/Go on about 5-6 long drives on the autobahn and so far I absolutely love it. It has kicked off three times so far but that was due fog and sun glare. I was testing to see how long it would actually stay on in these conditions, with a very ready braking foot of course.

The distances in the three modes even at the shortest distance setting is very safe. If you want to save gas though it is probably not the best thing to use. It obviously won't predict on coming cars like your eyes will, for momentum.

The system is great though once you get use to it. When the blinker is put on to change lanes it immediately recognizes this and starts to speed up to pass the car in front. It honestly makes long journeys on autobahns and motorways dramatically less fatiguing. You don't have to constantly be flicking the cruise switch to maintain distance. Which is pretty amazing and well worth the price IMHO.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
did75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 f48 x1 xline (eu spec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
I have utilized the ACC Stop/Go on about 5-6 long drives on the autobahn and so far I absolutely love it. It has kicked off three times so far but that was due fog and sun glare. I was testing to see how long it would actually stay on in these conditions, with a very ready braking foot of course.

The distances in the three modes even at the shortest distance setting is very safe. If you want to save gas though it is probably not the best thing to use. It obviously won't predict on coming cars like your eyes will, for momentum.

The system is great though once you get use to it. When the blinker is put on to change lanes it immediately recognizes this and starts to speed up to pass the car in front. It honestly makes long journeys on autobahns and motorways dramatically less fatiguing. You don't have to constantly be flicking the cruise switch to maintain distance. Which is pretty amazing and well worth the price IMHO.

Nick
Couldn't agree more. Here's my review from another well known forum :-)

Hi

Some feedback regarding ACC after a first weekend driving 400km highways twice. I was a bit anxious of the camera based version of acc after having driven my girlfriend's dad a8 which has radar based acc. In a word : it works absolutely great.

Some detail :
- I've had it working for hours with both low sun or light rain and it made no problem to the system. After a few kilometers you really start to trust the system
- acc is working up to 140km/h (whereas radar based ones are working at higher speeds)
- it works brilliantly in stop and go traffic
- it breaks really hard in case the car in front brakes hard or changes lane abruptly, although not full force braking (didn't test...)
- acceleration seems to be driving mode related. A bit slow to accelerate in Eco pro, normal in comfort. Didn't try sport yet.
- when you're closing on a slower car and your car gets close to the distance you set in the system (there are 4 distance settings), it starts to slow down (which is expected) unless you start using the blinkers. In this situation the system understands you're passing this car and doesn't brake at all which is great for highway driving.
- I had a chance to try the traffic jam assistant tonight (it is only activable on highways by the way). Under 60km/h the car literally drivers itself, only requiring a finger on the wheel. Feels really odd at the beginning but I guess it really shows where onboard electronics and automated driving is heading.

In short : I would recommend this option, makes highway driving very relaxing.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I have this feature on both of my cars and absolutely love it in traffic and long trips.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #7
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys!

It's great to hear that the camera only based active cruise works well enough in most cases. It rains a lot in Vancouver so I was a little concerned about how well it performs rainy conditions. When I read that it was based on camera alone, I was a little skeptical since I've gotten used to the Distronic w/ steering assist feature on the new mercedes cars. I'm happy that I could get opinions here from some real owners. The salesman didn't know much about it, and they don't have an X1 equipped with ACC to test either.

For me, active cruise is one of those features where if you've experienced it once, you'll want it in all your other cars. My commute involves a lot of slow speed highway crawling, so this would make it much less painful. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
DickyJ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hire Car / BMW S1000XR

Big problem with Active Cruise

I have just taken delivery of a brand new X1 20D XDrive Msport F48 (16 reg)
and I am delighted with the car in every aspect except one.
I do 40000 miles a year (4-6 hours a day) and the most important feature affecting my choice of car is the Active Cruse control, which I use about 80% of the time. I have used the car for two days now and both days happened to involve me driving in the morning in an easterly direction, into the sun. The active cruise control did not work for several sections on my journey of about 15 miles at a time! This amounted to a large proportion of the total morning journey, in the afternoon on my way home it performed without fault. Today it was raining and it failed to detect a large HGV that was kicking up a lot of spray and it would of driven me into the back of it if I had not taken over. When I bought the car I made it clear that the Active Cruise control was central to my decision to purchase. My dealer has checked it and can find no faults and has said that low sunlight can affect the cruise control. This leaves me with no choice but to reject the vehicle. So now I find myself spending my weekend looking at Mercedes GLA's and Volvo V60 Cross Country's to replace my new X1 instead of enjoying my new car. To say I'm disappointed is a massive understatement.
      03-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post

Nick
Interesting note on how it speeds up to overtake. I wonder if I can use that excuse when the Polizei unmarked BMW Touring comes flying down the outside lane in the restricted sections on the autobahn flashing its headlights.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyJ View Post
I do 40000 miles a year (4-6 hours a day) and the most important feature affecting my choice of car is the Active Cruse control, which I use about 80% of the time. I have used the car for two days now and both days happened to involve me driving in the morning in an easterly direction, into the sun. The active cruise control did not work for several sections on my journey of about 15 miles at a time! This amounted to a large proportion of the total morning journey, in the afternoon on my way home it performed without fault. Today it was raining and it failed to detect a large HGV that was kicking up a lot of spray and it would of driven me into the back of it if I had not taken over. When I bought the car I made it clear that the Active Cruise control was central to my decision to purchase. My dealer has checked it and can find no faults and has said that low sunlight can affect the cruise control. This leaves me with no choice but to reject the vehicle. So now I find myself spending my weekend looking at Mercedes GLA's and Volvo V60 Cross Country's to replace my new X1 instead of enjoying my new car. To say I'm disappointed is a massive understatement.
Ouch. Thanks for this, as a high-miler too, this is interesting, thankfully I'm still mulling over whether to spring for a X1. Looks like BMW should have used a radar.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update! This isn't very encouraging to me as I live in rainy Vancouver. I suppose I'll have to find out for myself if the system is really that unreliable in rather extreme weather conditions. My car should be here by the end of next month now that it's finished production. It sucks to hear that the feature that made it necessary for me to factory order a car may not be that useful after all.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #12
DickyJ
United Kingdom
Rep

Big Problem with Active Cruise Control

I took delivery last Wednesday afternoon and tried out the cruise control on the way home and was pleased with it. Thursday morning I had a job about 150 miles to the east that happened to be on the route back to my dealer. It was about 07:30 and the sky was clear. As soon as I turned towards the sun the Active Cruse control disengaged, giving me a message about cleaning the sensor (the car was only 40 miles old and still clean) so I cleaned the already clean sensor and that made no difference. The cruse control would not engage at all and it just told me that "Cruise Control Can Not Be Activated" this continued for the next 15 miles, by which time I was very close to my dealer. I took it into the dealer expecting them to find a faulty unit, but there were no faults found and non logged. I continued to my job from the dealer now heading more southerly and it worked ok with just a few momentary drop offs, also it worked all the way home ok. The next day I had a job about 120 miles to the south-east and it was another sunny day, it worked ok for the first 35 miles but then I turned east-south-east and it failed again not working for the next 20 miles, the I turned away from the sun and it started to work, later I turned onto the London orbital motorway (M25) and I was into the sun again and it failed straight away for the next 5 miles. It then worked ok most of the time for the rest of the day but I was not driving into the sun again. Saturday I had a course 100 miles to the west and it was raining, I was on a duel lane road and it had worked ok so far today, when I came up behind two large lorries overtaking each other. They were kicking up a lot of spray. The active cruise control failed to see the one in front of me, I waited as long as I dared to take over and took over at the last moment but it would have happily piled me into it rear if I had not intervened. So out of three days of ownership the Active Cruise has failed to meet my expectations of reliability and safety every day, hence my reluctant decision to reject the car.
      03-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
DickyJ
United Kingdom
Rep

Big Problem with Active Cruise Control

Update: My dealer has contacted BMW and they agreed to my wish to reject the vehicle without argument. I have to say that my dealer has been very good about this problem. I have been told by another dealer that BMW are aware of problems with the Optical Active Cruise control and are working towards a modification/update that might be available sometime in the future. Now I'll either go for a new Volvo or if I get a good enough offer a new 3 series X drive GT, but that would have to be at no extra cost to me and I'll need a loan car while mine is built. I hope to have an answer by the end of the week. (The 3 series Active Cruise control is a radar based system)
      03-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update: My dealer has contacted BMW and they agreed to my wish to reject the vehicle without argument. I have to say that my dealer has been very good about this problem. I have been told by another dealer that BMW are aware of problems with the Optical Active Cruise control and are working towards a modification/update that might be available sometime in the future. Now I'll either go for a new Volvo or if I get a good enough offer a new 3 series X drive GT, but that would have to be at no extra cost to me and I'll need a loan car while mine is built. I hope to have an answer by the end of the week. (The 3 series Active Cruise control is a radar based system)
Under the October 2015 SOGA, they have to accept the rejection.

I can't see how a camera is ever going to work as well as a radar, there's no way its going to 'see' through the water or not be blinded. For a 1500UKP option its embarrassing and just proves that years of testing is sometimes worthless until customers use them.

Happy to be proved wrong, but I can't see it being fixed via a software update.

The mulling continues... blooming bean-counters.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I'm told (but have no personal experience) that the radar systems (MB, VAG...) can all run into problems with bug splatter or very dirty road spray. Anyone care to comment?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #16
DickyJ
United Kingdom
Rep

Now that I've got my thoughts together after the disappointment of my X1 cruise control being unfit. I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with German car manufacturing as a whole.
My last car was a VAG Skoda that lost a lot of it's value due to the emissions scandal. They knowingly sold a car that produced more poisonous gas than it was supposed to. Now last week BMW gave me the keys to a car that they knew had a defect with safety implications. What comes first for them, the Euro or their customers wellbeing? Should I go Swedish and get a Volvo next?
      03-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #17
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

We have the active cruise and traffic jam assist on our X1 and have not really had any issues with it other than in the early morning bright sunshine on the M1 the other morning. It did warn that it couldnt work and I took over , so no real drama.
      03-08-2016, 03:12 AM   #18
Andy203
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135

Quote:
Now that I've got my thoughts together after the disappointment of my X1 cruise control being unfit. I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with German car manufacturing as a whole.
My last car was a VAG Skoda that lost a lot of it's value due to the emissions scandal. They knowingly sold a car that produced more poisonous gas than it was supposed to. Now last week BMW gave me the keys to a car that they knew had a defect with safety implications. What comes first for them, the Euro or their customers wellbeing? Should I go Swedish and get a Volvo next?
Possibly profit first!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #19
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Does anyone know the option code for ACC?

I have the driving assistant plus package but not sure if I have ACC or just normal cruise control (I haven't picked the car up yet)
      03-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
Does anyone know the option code for ACC?

I have the driving assistant plus package but not sure if I have ACC or just normal cruise control (I haven't picked the car up yet)
5DF Active Cruise Control with "Stop and Go" function - part of Driving Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #21
DickyJ
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
Under the October 2015 SOGA, they have to accept the rejection.

I can't see how a camera is ever going to work as well as a radar, there's no way its going to 'see' through the water or not be blinded. For a 1500UKP option its embarrassing and just proves that years of testing is sometimes worthless until customers use them.

Happy to be proved wrong, but I can't see it being fixed via a software update.

The mulling continues... blooming bean-counters.
Update: The dealer was pre-mature telling me the rejection was accepted. BMW had said that the multiple failures that I am continuing to encounter are due to the system operating with in its parameters and have refused to accept rejection. So now I need a solicitor and I have cancelled the payments to them. (I'd rather have a bad credit rating than be £37,000 out of pocket) My dealer still tells me that they think it's performance is unacceptable. I'm going to mount a dash cam behind me and start making a daily YouTube videos of the pretty much daily, multiple failures. Looks like BMW are going to loose a previously loyal customer.

What is 2015 SOGA please?
      03-15-2016, 03:01 AM   #22
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update: The dealer was pre-mature telling me the rejection was accepted. BMW had said that the multiple failures that I am continuing to encounter are due to the system operating with in its parameters and have refused to accept rejection. So now I need a solicitor and I have cancelled the payments to them. (I'd rather have a bad credit rating than be £37,000 out of pocket) My dealer still tells me that they think it's performance is unacceptable. I'm going to mount a dash cam behind me and start making a daily YouTube videos of the pretty much daily, multiple failures. Looks like BMW are going to loose a previously loyal customer.

What is 2015 SOGA please?
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-rights-act

Interesting response from BMW. Where is their published 'list of acceptable working parameters' then?

This sort of thing puts me right off. I have had enough of German car companies and their treatment of customers recently.

Also, who owns the car you or a finance company?

If you bought it, your contract is with the retailer (dealer) not the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0