BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW x1 2.0i X-Line Review

12-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 2.0i

BMW x1 2.0i X-Line Review

To provide some context to this review, I have been driving the new X1 for the past three days. Prior to that I had 2 months in a 320d M-Sport loan car from BMW and 6 1/2 years with a 2.0d VW Tiguan as our family car.

I have struggled to find any UK reviews of the petrol version of this car and as such wished to post something that may be of interest to anyone considering the petrol version over the diesel.

I have added a fair few options to the standard car, including pro-nav, Electronic dampers, 19" alloys, electric sports seats, Matt Oak interior trim, driver comfort package, pan roof, electric folding mirrors, BMW loud speaker system and tinted windows and sliding rear seats.

Overall first impressions are really good. I have the car in Mineral White and think it looks fantastic. I am more pleased with how it looks than I thought I would be.

I was concerned about buying a petrol car, having had diesels for so many years, but I only cover 8k a year and wanted a change. The reality is that the engine is fantastic. As fast as the 320d that I have had for the past 2 months, but so quiet that at low speeds it honestly feels that I am driving an electric car. I am sure that the fuel consumption is not comparable with a diesel and once I have a few more miles under the belt I'll update you on that issue.

The ride on the 19" wheels, on the local and country roads that I have taken the car on has been fine. Take into consideration that my loan car was on 19" wheels and with M-Sport suspension though. But for me the ride on 19" rims with EDC is very good and better than the VW Tiguan sport we had before.

Favourite aspects of the car so far:

1) HUD is fantastic. It took a few journeys to get used to but it displays local speed limit, my speed, sat nav details and also shows what speed I may have set for the limiter if it's on. It's a really great option, and one that I would recommend. The wider sat nav screen is also far more pleasant than the standard screen.

2) The extended lighting that you get with the driver comfort package gives the interior a wonderful illumination at night. There are led lights on the doors, the dash, the door bins, plus puddle lights, extra lights in the door handles and foot-wells etc. Makes a big difference and looks fantastic.

3) The engine is beautifully quite at low speeds but picks up quickly and doesn't sound pushed when you give it the beans.

4) WE can have two keys for my wife and I that when used by the respective person to open the car, moves the seat and mirrors to the correct position and gives that person their preferred choice of radio stations and climate control settings - wonderful in a shared car. A luxury, yes, but a worthwhile one to me.

The only thing that I am not 100% on is the standard steering wheel. Having had the thicker M-Sport wheel for the past few months it feels a little thin and the leather a bit hard in comparison. This is a small issue and I'm sure we'll get used to it.

That aside it's proving to be a great car thus far. We have a few longer journeys and I will update this thread if I can on the review. I will also try and understand how to post pictures if that is of interest.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

Absolutely agree with comments about HUD. It also shows radio / CD details and phone calls / contact list.

I added the BMW speaker system but was disappointed to see you can still only adjust Treble and Bass setting. I thought it would have an equaliser for finer adjustments.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F48 Alpinweiss

Nice, and enjoy your new car hoping to see some pics soon.....

I still have to get used to the HUD and idrive..... I was doubting the M-sport wheel but I'm glad I did

And sad, I did not get the HK sound because I agree with bluezed, disappointing only treble and bass
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep

The loan car that I had was equipped with the Harmon Kardon system. You can tell the difference if you focus on it, and I am sure that if music quality is really your thing then the extra £300 for the HK kit is worth it. But with the need to concentrate on driving, road noise and passengers etc, I am not sure that for the bulk of the time you are driving there is a real difference between the BMW Loud speaker system and the HK - although I have no experience of the standard system which could be just as good as the £300 BMW loudspeaker system that I have.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Great review, thanks. Your spec is similar to mine, except I have the more powerful petrol engine (25i), and am getting 18" wheels. Mine isn't due until March (wanted a 2016 build) so I'm interested in some updates as your ownership experience continues.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobycoombes View Post
The only thing that I am not 100% on is the standard steering wheel. Having had the thicker M-Sport wheel for the past few months it feels a little thin and the leather a bit hard in comparison. This is a small issue and I'm sure we'll get used to it.
This is one reason I am going for the M Sport package as the M Sport steering wheel is not available as a separate/stand-alone option in Australia. Our preferred color isn't available with the M Sport package so I initially thought of just getting an M Performance (alcantara) steering wheel down the road and replacing the standard one but then the numbers don't line up nicely -- the cost of the M Sport package already pays for the nice steering wheel plus a lot more. So steering wheel wins over color in this case.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:43 AM   #7
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Good to see the review. We've had ours a couple of months now and happy with everything (inc std steering wheel). friends with 5 and 3 have been impressed and like it.

One gripe..I regularly transport my high end mountain bike in the back and need to remove the parcel shelves arrangement. It is is not really "premium" in design or quality. It reminds me of an '80s mazda, though not so well designed. I have already bent one of the little clips and can't see them lasting. Whoever signed that design off at BMW ? Looks like it was built to a budget. Previous suvs have had a well engineered, roller type boot covers.

Other than that everything is performing well and I have found myself going out for drives just for the pleasure of enjoying the car ! (which I can't say for previous suv!)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 04:15 AM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Congrats, tobycoombes, on finally picking up your car. Considering the ridiculous obsession with Diesels here in the UK, you and I are probably the only two 20i owners right now. I love the way it sounds. I've been getting 38~40mpg combined (60/40 city and motorway), which is 10~15% off the official figure. That's quite impressive for a petrol engine. I have zero regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post

One gripe..I regularly transport my high end mountain bike in the back and need to remove the parcel shelves arrangement. It is is not really "premium" in design or quality. It reminds me of an '80s mazda, though not so well designed. I have already bent one of the little clips and can't see them lasting. Whoever signed that design off at BMW ? Looks like it was built to a budget. Previous suvs have had a well engineered, roller type boot covers.
Les Paul I agree. Though I'm not worried that that it'll break. It's just its poor practicality that annoys me. Funny you mentioned Mazda. CX5 has one of the smartest covers I've seen in hatchbacks and SUVs. It stays attached, extends and lifts up as you open the tailgate. I haven't seen it in any other car, so it might be patented.

Here's a demo video: https://youtu.be/psnNNzTSsOo?t=25s
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 04:26 AM   #9
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Ours will be our first diesel. It is the fuel of the devil to be honest, but I had a bad experience with the 2.0 petrol I just couldn't go there again.
      12-28-2015, 04:36 AM   #10
M-Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats tobycoombes, glad you liked the 20i.
i'm waiting for my 20i M-Sport, hopefully i can pick her up in march
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Hi Washy don't worry about diesel ! Having owned one previously I was definitely not going to buy another diesel and was only looking at the petrol .
Then I tested the pre-reg diesel, which I purchased without hesitation. Honestly the X1 diesel is barely audible, pulls like a train and is in a different class to any other diesel motor I have experienced inc merc, audi.I am experimenting with Shell Nitro which seems to suit this engine and adds further refinement in my opinion.

What BMW have saved on the parcel shelf must have been spent on the engine!

Just come in from cleaning the car (again!) it is gleaming in todays sun
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #12
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Looking forward to the torque the diesel gives in fairness. Mrs W is missing the X1 like mad ours can't come fast enough to be honest. The 116d just doesn't come close.
      12-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep

KPD I hope we're not the only two but I'm sure we're in the minority.

The engine is proving to be a real peach. Having had a few 2.0 diesels from BMW I can attest that they are beautiful engines and the slow down torque is addictive.

The petrol engine needs to downshift to give the same lunch but the trade off is a wonderfully quiet drive and a raspy, throaty engine note when you bury the throttle. Smooth gear changes also add to a very refined drive. Petrol or diesel, they'll both be great cars.

I've had a 100 mile round trip on motorways today and averaged 37mpg with the cruise control at 70 most of the way. I'm happy with that but am sure the diesel would have been 50% more. It's not a big concern for me though and I don't regret the choice of fuel.

HUD is continuing to be a marvel on an unkown route. More trips of greater distance to come on the new year.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update 1st February 2016.

So I have 900 miles on the clock now and thought an update may be helpful for anyone considering buying this car.

Good points:

1) Now that I feel happy to push the engine harder the noise post 4,000 rev's is lovely. There's great acceleration from the petrol engine and the gear change is very smooth. Am very impressed with it. When turning into junctions, the gearbox can take a moment to kick down so I do now find myself using the paddle shifters when I'm during more enthusiastically. Overall I'm very happy with the performance side of things.

2) LED lights are fantastic. There are several little touches, like the fact they illuminate sideways when you turn the wheel at lower speeds, or when you put the indicators on. Also it projects extra light sideways when you select reverse. I will struggle to go back to ordinary lights as these are so very good.

3) HUD / Pro nav screen. The HUD is wonderful, a really useful thing to have and especially when you are using it with navigation. The wider screen gives you lots of information and has a split screen facility to allow you to show two different functions at the same time. Very pleased I ticked the box and paid the extra money.

4) Extended interior lighting. This gets a mention from everyone that's been in the car. It really makes the interior a plush place to be at night. There are subtle lights everywhere and it looks and feels marvellous.

Developing points:

1) It have taken me a while to be happy with the X-Line steering wheel having had a Milano leather M-Sport one on the last car. The leather is quite hard and the grip not as thick and it's taken a good month to stop noticing this every time I drive. I've got through that now though and am happy with what I have - but I'd swap it for the M-Sport one if the option ever presents itself.

2) Road noise. It's fine on the daily school run and darting about town, but on concrete motorway sections the noise is too much. Thankfully I don't do a lot of long distance driving but if I did and the roads were poor it could become a bind. As it is, you never notice until you reach higher speeds and are on bad surfaces.

3) The 19" alloys look amazing. But my wife has already kerbed the front drivers side as there's little protection from the tire rubber. It's three days off the road and £100 per wheel to get them fixed as they're diamond cut alloys so I'll probably just have them done once a year to keep them looking fresh.

Fuel economy isn't great but then I had no expectancy that it would be. This time of year the car spends a fair amount of with the engine on waiting for school to open and doing short 2 -3 mile trips. I also have a panic every time I fill up (it's only been to the pumps 3 or 4 times) after 10 years of diesels I am convinced I'm going to get it wrong as there's no indicator in the fuel cap to remind you. Still very happy with the fact it's petrol though.

Overall we remain very very happy with this car. Wouldn't chance a thing except for having an M-Sport steering wheel. Love the way it drives, love the way it looks. It has a boot big enough to swallow both the kids bikes or a weeks luggage. Would definitely recommend.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I wasn't overly impressed with the road noise on the loan car we had and that was on 18's and non run flat tyres. I am a bit worried that our car on 19's will be a lot worse.
      02-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #16
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's nothing to worry about. It is a minor issue on what is a very good car. And the wheels look so good you'll be made up you optioned them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Thanks Toby
Road noise was an issue for me on test drives -- Australian roads are predominantly coarse chip sealed, hence I've opted for 18" wheels. Your comments reinforce my decision.
Great to have your other comments; please keep us updated as your ownership experience continues.

Oh, one question: are you finding it a "clean" car? By that I mean my F20 (Alpine White) seems to suck up road grime, especially the rear hatch...despite being washed, waxed etc. It's been the dirtiest car I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #18
ggrwatt
Rep
Drives: X3 30d Luxury

I am from Europe
The noise issue on runflat, is in the major case a tire construction problem...
I had this issue on my previous 330XD with these crappy Pirelli Runflat !!
Then I replaced them for Bridgeston Potenza, and no more road noise issue !!

When I bought my new X1, I expected my dealer to delivery the car WITHOUT these stupid Pirelli but with the Potenza, and all in 19"...
Result : No noise ! (Or no major noise)
My dealer told me : That was cleaver... we know this issue ............
Come on BMW... we know that the tires are chosen regarding the global price you get... but please don't put these Pirelli RFT on the new cars....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:28 AM   #19
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Thanks Toby
Road noise was an issue for me on test drives -- Australian roads are predominantly coarse chip sealed, hence I've opted for 18" wheels. Your comments reinforce my decision.
Great to have your other comments; please keep us updated as your ownership experience continues.

Oh, one question: are you finding it a "clean" car? By that I mean my F20 (Alpine White) seems to suck up road grime, especially the rear hatch...despite being washed, waxed etc. It's been the dirtiest car I've owned.
It does seem to suck up dirt onto the rear bumper sill but I have the car washed every week at the gym so I haven't let it get that dirty yet. There's not much grim around in the part of the world that I live in. I imagine that if I was more rural it may be more of a problem.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #20
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey, Toby. What are your MPG numbers? I'm getting 33~34 combined with mostly short trips around town and occasional motorway drives. Almost always in Comfort mode. Eco-Pro when motorway traffic is alright and I can coast a little.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:45 AM   #21
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Hey, Toby. What are your MPG numbers? I'm getting 33~34 combined with mostly short trips around town and occasional motorway drives. Almost always in Comfort mode. Eco-Pro when motorway traffic is alright and I can coast a little.
24.7 mpg at the moment showing on the trip computer, average speed 20mph.

Too often the engine is on for half an hour waiting for the school pick up and drop off and very very few longer motorway trips. Haven't been near the Eco-Pro mode......but sport is used liberally. Perhaps this is why we have such different mpg figures!!

These are similar figures to those which we used to get from our 2.0d Tiguan so I'm quite happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:58 AM   #22
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobycoombes View Post
24.7 mpg at the moment showing on the trip computer, average speed 20mph.

Too often the engine is on for half an hour waiting for the school pick up and drop off and very very few longer motorway trips. Haven't been near the Eco-Pro mode......but sport is used liberally. Perhaps this is why we have such different mpg figures!!

These are similar figures to those which we used to get from our 2.0d Tiguan so I'm quite happy.
Very interesting. Looks like my style is the opposite of yours. I rarely ever use Sport and never keep the engine running when parked.

The coasting thing in Eco-Pro is brilliant. It's a little disconcerting at first, but once you get used to it, you'll learn to go with it and adjust your driving accordingly. It's not much of a use on busy days though.

Lowest average I have is 27.3 combined (70% town, 15% motorway, 15% B-roads).
Appreciate 0