BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 VS e92 M3 with Comp Package

12-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3 | NB Miata

M2 VS e92 M3 with Comp Package

Sitting on the wait list is so painful and reading about the possibly terrible initial lease rates has me thinking about a plan B. Have you considered a lightly used m3?

Seems like you can find decent examples that have depreciated around 50% already (~35K). Pro/Cons? Anyone else on the fence?

Pricing info for the M2 cant come soon enough...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I owned an E92 M3 w/ZCP and loved it but I wouldn't go back today. If technology matters at all, it is fairly dated. The M2 should be similar or better in terms of performance (faster 'Ring time than the E92 M3) if that matters. Also, unless you get a CPO'd version, I'd be worried about costly repairs... I've never been a big fan of owning a modern M car outside of warranty (excluding pre-E92 M's as they are less complex and less expensive to fix).
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I owned an E92 M3 w/ZCP and loved it but I wouldn't go back today. If technology matters at all, it is fairly dated. The M2 should be similar or better in terms of performance (faster 'Ring time than the E92 M3) if that matters. Also, unless you get a CPO'd version, I'd be worried about costly repairs... I've never been a big fan of owning a modern M car outside of warranty (excluding pre-E92 M's as they are less complex and less expensive to fix).
Thanks for sharing. I hope the M2, despite the EPS, will handle as well as an M3 and I agree on the technology part. Btw - I thought the e92's are considered pretty reliable? Did you have a different experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhocr View Post
Thanks for sharing. I hope the M2, despite the EPS, will handle as well as an M3 and I agree on the technology part. Btw - I thought the e92's are considered pretty reliable? Did you have a different experience?
I think they are reliable but will also be expensive when an inevitable issue occurs.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Sitting on the wait list is so painful and reading about the possibly terrible initial lease rates has me thinking about a plan B. Have you considered a lightly used m3?

Seems like you can find decent examples that have depreciated around 50% already (~35K). Pro/Cons? Anyone else on the fence?

I had a zcp e92 m3 as well which got totaled. I loved it. You won't be able to find a good one for less then 42k. This was my dream car the only down side is gas millage. It blows I averaged like 12 miles to the gallon. I also have a e46 330ci and I really like that size. The m2 will have e92 power more tourque and be the size of my e46. The m2 will be the perfect combo of everything. I had the chance to get another e92 and am waiting for the m2. They say the m2 will be 370 hp but it will be more like 400. BMW likes to low ball hp #s
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2015, 02:35 AM   #6
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I had a zcp e92 m3 as well which got totaled. I loved it. You won't be able to find a good one for less then 42k. This was my dream car the only down side is gas millage. It blows I averaged like 12 miles to the gallon. I also have a e46 330ci and I really like that size. The m2 will have e92 power more tourque and be the size of my e46. The m2 will be the perfect combo of everything. I had the chance to get another e92 and am waiting for the m2. They say the m2 will be 370 hp but it will be more like 400. BMW likes to low ball hp #s
Wow, 12 mpg!? All city? I thought it avg around 17 mpg. Good points on the m2 size..I love how compact it is. Also that instant torque from the turbo is probably more useable for a DD
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
TRUTH
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
I think they are reliable but will also be expensive when an inevitable issue occurs.

Did you say, rod bearing?

We had a local E90 M3 owner with around 57k miles suffer a rod bearing failure that came with about a 16K tab to drop in a used motor. :
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhocr

Why is it that unfavorable lease rates have you looking at a used vehicle ? : especially as opposed to some other vehicle to lease?

I'm just trying to find out why that has you switching lanes ...?

I personally feel that the M2 lease rates will certainly be less favorable than M3/M4 , just like occurred with the 1M vs the E9x M3.

what's wrong with buying an M2 at 1.9 percent and extending the payments out as long as possible ?

If you are a typical lease person and plan to trade the car in 3-4 years then you just do so. If you plan to keep it forever you can pay it off slowly or pay it off quickly.

For direct compassion, I financed my ED 1M ( no down payment ) at 7 years with a payment of $607 versus lease rates of $750-800.

It's the most expensive car I have ever purchased and about $80 a month more than I have ever paid on a car note. However, after 3 years I could have sold the car for a mint, and still can.

Even if the M2 values tend to follow the average M car, a modest down payment or an ED price should start you off in a position where you won't owe more than it's worth down the road if you finance it , even with long payment terms.

Leasing became popular when interest rates were fairly high. And while it can definitely make sense on some low mileage situations, with interest rates below 2 percent for those with good credit , to me it makes a ton of sense to extend financing as a way of " leasing ".

With extended purchase terms you are paying as " little as possible " for the car... And if one is concerned about warranty then roll in an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Did you say, rod bearing?

We had a local E90 M3 owner with around 57k miles suffer a rod bearing failure that came with about a 16K tab to drop in a used motor. :
I'll have to read up on that rod bearing. Sounds scary.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #11
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why is it that unfavorable lease rates have you looking at a used vehicle ? : especially as opposed to some other vehicle to lease?

I personally feel that the M2 lease rates will certainly be less favorable than M3/M4 , just like occurred with the 1M vs the E9x M3.

what's wrong with buying an M2 at 1.9 percent and extending the payments out as long as possible ?

If you are a typical lease person and plan to trade the car in 3-4 years then you just do so. If you plan to keep it forever you can pay it off slowly or pay it off quickly.

For direct compassion, I financed my ED 1M ( no down payment ) at 7 years with a payment of $607 versus lease rates of $750-800.

It's the most expensive car I have ever purchased and about $80 a month more than I have ever paid on a car note. However, after 3 years I could have sold the car for a mint, and still can.

Even if the M2 values tend to follow the average M car, a modest down payment or an ED price should start you off in a position where you won't owe more than it's worth down the road if you finance it , even with long payment terms.

Leasing became popular when interest rates were fairly high. And while it can definitely make sense on some low mileage situations, with interest rates below 2 percent for those with good credit , to me it makes a ton of sense to extend financing as a way of " leasing ".

With extended purchase terms you are paying as " little as possible " for the car... And if one is concerned about warranty then roll in an extended warranty.
I guess I was considering alternatives with same/lower payments for a real M car experience if the M2 had bad lease rates. Didn't realize extended loans for 7 years was an option. Was this through BMW FS? I assumed the max term was 60 months based on the BMW website. That is good to know, thanks for the info and sharing your experience with financing your 1M.

The original plan was to lease the m2 for 3 years and make a decision to return or buy it depending on the market value & other factors. Was hoping that I would love it too much to let it go at 3 years. (This is my first BMW and M car so I have no idea what to expect as far as performance & reliability)

Speaking of ED, I do plan to take advantage of that for the M2 but sadly the discount seems to be only 5% in 2016. Thats just enough for two plane tickets to Germany!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhocr
Quote:

I guess I was considering alternatives with same/lower payments for a real M car experience if the M2 had bad lease rates. Didn't realize extended loans for 7 years was an option. Was this through BMW FS? I assumed the max term was 60 months based on the BMW website. That is good to know, thanks for the info and sharing your experience with financing your 1M.

The original plan was to lease the m2 for 3 years and make a decision to return or buy it depending on the market value & other factors. Was hoping that I would love it too much to let it go at 3 years. (This is my first BMW and M car so I have no idea what to expect as far as performance & reliability)

Speaking of ED, I do plan to take advantage of that for the M2 but sadly the discount seems to be only 5% in 2016. Thats just enough for two plane tickets to Germany!

Talk to a credit union. Typically with auto loans over $30-35k they have terms available for 66, 72 or even 84 months.

I believe navy federal and pentagon federal credit union b were the most popular back when I got my car. A small $25 donation to be a member and a credit check and you could be well on your way to a 1.49 percent loan.

While 7 years of payments sounds like a long time, again, you can always pay it off early if you are able to afford a higher payment.

I know that the usual rule of thumb when financing is to keep to 3-4 years but that certainly came about when auto loans were in the 5-7% range. With 2 percent interest it's almost free money.

I received the 7 percent ED discount which was nice. For my car it was $3180 which in my case paid for 3 plane tickets for my family at that time. If just two had traveled then the extra money would have paid for a fair amount of my hotels also, which basically made it a "free " vacation to Europe

Truth be told, I think they should provide free airfare to make the trip so 5% off MSRP amount is actually fine as far as I am concerned.

Keep in mind that many countries don't even have ED Available and/or some have a Zero discount so I wouldn't complain about it being only 5%.

Even if you got zero discount , It's the experience of a lifetime.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

Interest rates are creeping back up. Best rate you'll see on the long loans is like 2.49 (ask me how I know )

As for fear of an M car out of warranty, it's *really* funny to see someone say "well except pre E92" when the E46 has been worse than the E92 between VANOS and SMG problems.

IMO it's always a roll of the dice with any car. Staying "in warranty" is an awful expensive insurance policy because you're taking depreciation hits over and over.

Meanwhile the likelihood of a big failure is pretty slim. For people buying 60-80k cars, if a 10k repair after 5 years is *that* terrifying you're overspending on the car to begin with IMO.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #14
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Looks like you had a DCT and going back to 6MT eh?
      01-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #15
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Def going back. The only reason I went dct is the deal was way to good to pass. I have mt on my e46 as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post

IMO it's always a roll of the dice with any car. Staying "in warranty" is an awful expensive insurance policy because you're taking depreciation hits over and over.

Meanwhile the likelihood of a big failure is pretty slim. For people buying 60-80k cars, if a 10k repair after 5 years is *that* terrifying you're overspending on the car to begin with IMO.
Agree..though I think the other draw of staying "in warranty" is piece of mind, convenience(service) and not being liable for catastrophic failures covered under warranty. Plus being in a newer car is worth the depreciation cost for some.

I wonder the failure rate really is for the e92 m3's. Searching forums posts isn't a realistic way to gauge the chances of failure. From what I am read the new engines are 15K+ ordeals which should probably make almost any one pause when considering this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #17
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
I actually went

E92 M3 6MT
E92 M3 DCT
C7 Corvette 7MT
F82 M4 DCT and now an 6MT on the M2.

Keeping it interesting Likely back to a DCT after the M2... or maybe not... or maybe
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #18
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Get an e92 now and check out the M2 later. The character of the e92 is a beautiful thing.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #19
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow, 12 mpg!? All city? I thought it avg around 17 mpg. Good points on the m2 size..I love how compact it is. Also that instant torque from the turbo is probably more useable for a DD
It really depends on how you drive.

I average about 18 MPG in my 981 and averaged just under 20 in the 235.

50/50 mix of city and interstate.
      01-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #20
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Get an e92 now and check out the M2 later. The character of the e92 is a beautiful thing.
I hear you, but 2012-2013's with low miles are 45K ish and its really dam close to a M2. Tough choices!
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #21
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear you, but 2012-2013's with low miles are 45K ish and its really dam close to a M2. Tough choices!
Brand new whip for less then 10k more. New warenty, better preformace and way better gas millage. Its a no brainer.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #22
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

E92 M3.. had 2.. don't want another
Appreciate 0