BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Very loud brake squeal in reverse

12-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Very loud brake squeal in reverse

Every morning since I first took delivery of my car, when I put it in reverse to get out of the driveway (usually in the morning), the brakes squeal extremely loudly. It sounds like a bucket. Driving forward and braking is quiet/no issues.

Any idea what this could be? I'd like to avoid dealer trip if possible.

If it helps, I'm in a cold climate (central Oregon), but I don't think that would be a factor.

Thanks!
      12-15-2015, 03:15 AM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Do they salt the roads there?
Sometimes salt puts a layer of surface rust on the discs. it quickly disappears.

If not, it could be that the rear hand brake disc (inboard) is possibly binding slightly with the cold. The electrically operated Hand brake system does not use a HD spring to pull it back like older manual systems.
As the pads wear in it should disappear.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
nickrice20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Every morning since I first took delivery of my car, when I put it in reverse to get out of the driveway (usually in the morning), the brakes squeal extremely loudly. It sounds like a bucket. Driving forward and braking is quiet/no issues.

Any idea what this could be? I'd like to avoid dealer trip if possible.

If it helps, I'm in a cold climate (central Oregon), but I don't think that would be a factor.

Thanks!
I have noticed the same thing a few times. It is not a constant occurrence so it hasn't concerned me yet. Once the car is broken I may be concerned. Let me know if you find out anything. My car goes in next week for the vent behind the glovebox recall and a hood adjustment. Hopefully all this stuff is not a sign of bad manufacturing. A little too early for that assumption though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
did75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 f48 x1 xline (eu spec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
I have noticed the same thing a few times. It is not a constant occurrence so it hasn't concerned me yet. Once the car is broken I may be concerned. Let me know if you find out anything. My car goes in next week for the vent behind the glovebox recall and a hood adjustment. Hopefully all this stuff is not a sign of bad manufacturing. A little too early for that assumption though.
Can you detail what this recall is about? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
nickrice20
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by did75 View Post
Can you detail what this recall is about? Thanks
When I get the full details I will let you know. So far all I know is what the dealer has said. Once it goes in for the recall I will ask more questions. It did not seem urgent at all. Here is what they said in the email.

"I am contacting you with regards an open recall on your X1.
BMW has informed us that there is a recall to check and possibly replace a
tube in the instrument paneling on your vehicle."
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

Think I have a solution...back into the driveway at night, then you won't have to back out in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

They don't use salt here and temperature doesn't seem to make a difference (sometimes I park in the garage). Very loud and sounds like a busted car.

I'm interested in the recall. I've noticed that on the wood on both doors, it looks like there is a clear coat type layer starting to peel up.
      12-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Had the same issue three times on wifey's 5-days old X1.
iDrive showing a warning as attached. It went away every time after keep driving.

BTW, any further info on recalls mentioned in previous posts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Just a suggestion it might be worthwhile to try normal brake bed-in procedure and see if you still get that warning once the brakes are bedded.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
nickrice20
Private
Rep

I have tried bedding in the brakes now and the brake squeal coming out of the garage is still around. If it continues much further I will be taking the car back into the dealer again. It is not something a new car should do. We had a brand new 228i loaner before the X1 and had no problems with the squeal.

Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

The X1 went into the dealership last week for a factory recall. It didn't need to be accomplished due to the correct part being installed, some vent behind the glove box. Due to the language barrier with the dealership I didn't get any more info on the recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
nickrice20
Private
Rep

Anyone else having brake squeal issues? It is starting to get on my nerves. The squeal happens at very low speeds with light pedal pressure going forward and in reverse. In particular when I pull the car out of the garage in the morning and into the garage at night. So both times the car and brakes have been allowed to cool significantly.

I didn't pay $40K+ for a car that sounds like a beater. Any suggestions would be great. The next stop will be making an appointment with the dealership to get this sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Anyone else having brake squeal issues? It is starting to get on my nerves. The squeal happens at very low speeds with light pedal pressure going forward and in reverse. In particular when I pull the car out of the garage in the morning and into the garage at night. So both times the car and brakes have been allowed to cool significantly.

I didn't pay $40K+ for a car that sounds like a beater. Any suggestions would be great. The next stop will be making an appointment with the dealership to get this sorted out.

If it has not gone away by now you should take it back to the dealer.
I had a similar issue with a Merc I owned some time ago. It drove me crazy. It turned out to be a faulty brake pad (from new) the liner was separating from the shoe (fixed under warrantee). It scrapped on the rotor in reverse at first then progressed to doing it at low speed in forward. It could also be that some object or grit has imbedded into the pad/s or got between the pad and the cylinder.

Let us all know what it was when you get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #13
nickrice20
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
If it has not gone away by now you should take it back to the dealer.
I had a similar issue with a Merc I owned some time ago. It drove me crazy. It turned out to be a faulty brake pad (from new) the liner was separating from the shoe (fixed under warrantee). It scrapped on the rotor in reverse at first then progressed to doing it at low speed in forward. It could also be that some object or grit has imbedded into the pad/s or got between the pad and the cylinder.

Let us all know what it was when you get it sorted

I was thinking the same thing. My concern is that the dealer won't be able to reproduce the squeal because it only happens during the the times I mentioned. But I will be taking video to show how awful it sounds as proof. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
skim175
Private
Rep
Drives: X-drive

It is not limited to this model. I used to have this issue with my 135 (2008) and X6 (2011). I had never had this issue prior to 2008 135. It only happened in the cold (below about 45) in reverse. It was embarrassingly loud squeal. I managed to replace my breakpads under the warranty after many complaints but it did not completely fix it. I was told that a new material BMW used for breakpad is causing this. This is not a new issue but it is not unwise to check with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
nickrice20
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim175 View Post
It is not limited to this model. I used to have this issue with my 135 (2008) and X6 (2011). I had never had this issue prior to 2008 135. It only happened in the cold (below about 45) in reverse. It was embarrassingly loud squeal. I managed to replace my breakpads under the warranty after many complaints but it did not completely fix it. I was told that a new material BMW used for breakpad is causing this. This is not a new issue but it is not unwise to check with your dealer.

Good to know. Unfortunately the X1 is doing this now going forward into the garage and reversing out as well. Thanks for the information. I will let you guys know what happens for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
RckX1/F48
Rep
Drives: F48/X1

Hi howiego, my f48/X1 is also showing a different brake warning and it's not even 2 weeks old. It too went away after numerous engage and disengage of the parking Brake while stationary and at the same time pressing hard on the foot brake.

What's your finding regarding your brake warning issue ? What was being done to resolve the problem ?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Quote:
Good to know. Unfortunately the X1 is doing this now going forward into the garage and reversing out as well. Thanks for the information. I will let you guys know what happens for sure.
What was the outcome of your dealer visit ?

Was the issued fixed and what exactly was fixed ?
Appreciate 0